Avoiding Tax on New Tractor??

/ Avoiding Tax on New Tractor?? #111  
i don't think there is sales tax in tennessee, best thing to do is find a nearly new tractor for sale from an individual and buy it, no sales tax that way

/ Avoiding Tax on New Tractor?? #112  
Makes no sense when you think about it, sales tax.. tax on the sale, so why should for example CA be entitled to tax on a sale made by an Oregon dealer?
It wasn't a CA's sale. I might want to buy out of state but more because of a dealer willing to deal. The result leaves a bad taste that CA gets taxes from a sale never made there while I take time off work and travel expenses.

States don't impose sales tax because it costs the state for a sale. It's just to get revenue to support what the state government does. So don't try to make sense of it. You have travel expenses because you traveled. You took off work because you wanted to. Neither have anything to do with paying sales tax.

/ Avoiding Tax on New Tractor?? #113  
States don't impose sales tax because it costs the state for a sale. It's just to get revenue to support what the state government does. So don't try to make sense of it. You have travel expenses because you traveled. You took off work because you wanted to. Neither have anything to do with paying sales tax.

umm what?:rolleyes:

/ Avoiding Tax on New Tractor?? #114  
You have travel expenses because you traveled. You took off work because you wanted to. Neither have anything to do with paying sales tax.
True and the state that made the sale should get the tax IMO.

Suppose I break down while traveling on vacation and have to buy a 3500 dollar transmission. I am suppose to pay the bill and report to my state when I get home or at the end of year that I didn't pay them tax on my repair is just crazy.

/ Avoiding Tax on New Tractor?? #115  

Suppose I break down while traveling on vacation and have to buy a 3500 dollar transmission. I am suppose to pay the bill and report to my state when I get home or at the end of year that I didn't pay them tax on my repair is just crazy.

I agree. I doubt that you would owe sales tax in that situation. You paid what was required when you got the repair done.

But that is different than taking specific action to try to avoid tax in the home state.

/ Avoiding Tax on New Tractor?? #116  
As I understand the law in North Carolina and several other states...
If you buy something from a North Carolina merchant and pick it up here in NC, the merchant is required to collect and remit sales tax. It does not matter where you live nor where you plan take the item.

If you purchase the item from a Tennessee merchant for instance, and have it delivered by the merchant to, North Carolina, the merchant is technically doing business in NC and is required to collect and remit NC sales tax.

If you purchased the item from the TN merchant by mail, internet, phone, etc., and had the item delivered to NC by a 3rd party such as UPS or Yellow Freight, the merchant is not required to collect tax. However, this case requires you to self report this purchase and pay the NC sales tax. Granted, almost never done but it's the law...

If you buy an item from an individual, he is required to collect and remit the sales tax or you are responsible for reporting and paying. Again, the law...

There is a line on the NC state tax return for owed sales taxes on out of state purchases, purchases from individuals or any other case where the state did not get their cut.

If anyone collects taxes and doesn't remit them to the state, the state gets really upset!

/ Avoiding Tax on New Tractor?? #117  
i don't think there is sales tax in tennessee, best thing to do is find a nearly new tractor for sale from an individual and buy it, no sales tax that way
Yes there is a sales tax in TN (9.25% per dollar). We have Democrats.... :D

In TN if the tractor is for commercial farming (large or small) then a form can be filed with the seller (which goes to the IRS to exclude the seller's liability for the tax) exempting the sales tax. The buyer should be able to provide (to the IRS) reason for the exemption such as owning a commercial operation (and filing tax papers as such). Otherwise, it's like any other commodity in TN.

/ Avoiding Tax on New Tractor?? #118  

Well, if you do that most states will forgive that amount of tax that you did pay to the other state. If your state's tax rate is higher than where you made the purchase and paid their sales tax, you owe the difference in tax to you own state.

It's not crazy, it's fair. Everybody pays sales tax. Support your local business who is losing your business when you buy out of state, but that local business is helping to fund your schools, your fire department, your police services, your state's (F) EMA resources, your governor's salary...etc.

Only thing I can say, is as a fine and upstanding citizen, if you don't like your state's laws, have them changed or move to a different state.

/ Avoiding Tax on New Tractor?? #119  
Used to live and work in Arizona. !st year in state no tax on income. purchased a Ford car. no tax.
Job change to Arkansas. income tax and New price on LTD Ford for previous year.before could change license. The state is hungry.
On tractor purchase. Read IRS Pub. on line or in book. PUB.225 and PUB.925.
The 1040 line 37 and continue through the maze. then form 8582 then go to 6198 might be able to get a prorated deduction either straight line or 7 years.
I chose the 7 years.
Last year income tax Fed. and State the person figuring the tax in the office of the group that advertises the greater amount of deduction. Missed 1600 in allowances and had to return twice to get corrections . Asked her if she had ever been audited said no told her when she is they will start at top for her brand of shampoo and go to the color of her toe nails. before finishing.
I'm not with any agency just study the forms after some one else does the figuring.
if it looks like a tax. smells like a tax. some goverment bean counter has got it covered.
ken