Trailer Bumper

/ Trailer Bumper #1  

tractorboy5500

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra 5500 4WD, 275 FEL
Had my trailer for 5 months now and i bent the bumper pulling out of a ditch, it has 8" channel for a rear bumper, I am cutting it off and installing 4"x8" rect. tubing. Here some before pics, didnt take any pics of the bent bumper, didnt have a camera at the time.

Attachments

• PICT0668.jpg
    PICT0668.jpg
    380.1 KB · Views: 374
  • PICT0713.jpg
    PICT0713.jpg
    432.7 KB · Views: 283
  • PICT0753.jpg
    PICT0753.jpg
    717.9 KB · Views: 350
   / Trailer Bumper
I got this far on it as of know. Plan on working on it some during the week and on the week end.

Attachments

• PICT0756.jpg
    PICT0756.jpg
    701.2 KB · Views: 281
  • PICT0759.jpg
    PICT0759.jpg
    508.2 KB · Views: 246
  • PICT0760.jpg
    PICT0760.jpg
    547.5 KB · Views: 323
   / Trailer Bumper #4  
i assume you cut the bracket/round stock holder for the ramps off the other one and youll be useing the same mount on the back of the new one?

did you free hand the round cutouts?

/ Trailer Bumper
Making new brakets also, they welded the bracket to the round bar, i am going to make it slide through and pin it in so it can be removed when or if i need to. Yes i free hand the round cuts, I am not a pro at cutting, the rubber mounts will cover any era's.

/ Trailer Bumper #6  
I had the same trailer for years a Kaufman. Awesome trailer and worth fixing many times over! My was 22ft long dual tandems and I hauled 12 cubes of 12" splitface block! with no problems.

/ Trailer Bumper
I had the same trailer for years a Kaufman. Awesome trailer and worth fixing many times over! My was 22ft long dual tandems and I hauled 12 cubes of 12" splitface block! with no problems.

Its a Longhorn trailer 30', its a low profile type, it sets somewhat lower than a regular dove tail gooseneck, the flat bed is 31" from ground to top of the boards, not sure how far the dove tail is from the ground, a normal trailer sets around 34" to 36". I looked at the Kaufman trailers, just went with the Longhorn. The Kaufman trailers looked well built and had good paint jobs under the trailer and on the outside, when i ordered mind it was only primed from the inside of the main frame underneth, then primed and painted on outside, and painted it with the boards on it, so i know all the metal dont have paint on it, they primed it without the boards not sure why the painted it with the boards on?? The heavist load i had so far was my Mahindra 5500 4wd, and my cousins 5055 JD, it was a tight fit, or it might of been my 5500 with 10 round bails, it felt about the same.

/ Trailer Bumper #8  
Nice work. If it were me I would add a receiver tube in the bumper for tandem pulls. It will only cost $10 and you never know when you may use it.

We use ours when we cut wood to tote the log splitter behind the trailer. I also had one on a old 27' boats trailer so I could pull the Jet-Ski we had behind it.

Chris

/ Trailer Bumper #9  
Nice work. If it were me I would add a receiver tube in the bumper for tandem pulls. It will only cost $10 and you never know when you may use it.

We use ours when we cut wood to tote the log splitter behind the trailer. I also had one on a old 27' boats trailer so I could pull the Jet-Ski we had behind it.

Chris

Are you allowed to do that in your state...I'm pretty sure that's not cool here. in fact I've never seen it on the road beyond hay wagons being pulled by tractors, I've never seen one pulled by a pickup. In PA they had a heck of a time allowing tandem tractor trailers..They finally relented on that 10+ years ago.

/ Trailer Bumper #10  
Are you allowed to do that in your state...I'm pretty sure that's not cool here. in fact I've never seen it on the road beyond hay wagons being pulled by tractors, I've never seen one pulled by a pickup. In PA they had a heck of a time allowing tandem tractor trailers..They finally relented on that 10+ years ago.

Double pull is legal in the majority of the states as long as you do not go over the max overall length rule for that state. It think I counted once and its legal in 43 of the 50 states. I have double pulled over about 10 states with no issues.

According to my book, your state, PA does not allow it so you are right in your area. Its legal in IN, OH, MI, WI, MO, MN, AR, CO, IA, KS, KY, TN, and a few others I travel in. The only state I commonly pull in that it is not legal in is IL.

We see it done all the time around here. 2 of my neighbors do it also and I see a dozen or so at the lakes every weekend in the summer. Usually pulling a 30' 5th wheel and a 18' ski boat behind it with a diesel truck.

Chris