Non-Stick Fry Pans

/ Non-Stick Fry Pans #71  
Yesterday I had to make pancakes out of the box. My mom left a box of that stuff, the kids wanted it, and my granny always said, "Waste not, Want not." :laughing:

Pulled out the heavy 10 inch cast iron skillet that my wifey got from her grandmother. THAT pan is smmmoooooooth from years of use I guess. Make good pancakes even if they are from a box.:D

:thumbsup::D Sure was easy to make but from scratch tastes better to me. :D The kids prefer the box stuff. :eek: The did like my fresh made whipped cream with vanilla. :thumbsup: Though they keep asking for the stuff in a can. :eek:

Maybe I need new kids. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

I made an omelete this morning for breakfast in the stainless steel skillet. Lots of butter so no sticking. Too much butter actually. :eek: Put some Hot Roasted Pepper Salsa on top of the omelete. YUM YUM. :D

Since we started talking about food products that are in a can that gets Whooped on the counter I have been thinking of making those Apple Fritter that was posted on TBN years back. The fritter made from dried apples and whopping can dough. :thumbsup::D Figured I would fry them in the new dutch oven. :laughing:

FYI, some non stick pans to not use Teflon but those pans are very expensive. They machine the pans with groves that are supposed to prevent sticking.

Later,
Dan

/ Non-Stick Fry Pans #72  
Can't beat a cast iron frying pan, no way, no how....
Ever heard of cracklin corn bread? Put some on your forehead and your tongue will beat you to death trying to get to it...

/ Non-Stick Fry Pans #73  
Tug, you shouldn't ask embarrassing questions.:laughing: We used to make the cornbread with flour, cornmeal (we used yellow, but white ain't bad), baking powder, egg, milk, and melted lard. I used to even occasionally add a spoonful of sugar; made it almost like cake (something my mother would never have approved of:laughing:). And we occasionally made jalapeno cornbread by adding finely chopped jalapenos and cream style corn. But now . . . just 2 old folks; we just use Jiffy corn muffin mix, add one egg and a third cup of milk.:eek: Quick, easy,cheap, and not a bad flavor to go with the beans, or chili, or homemade soup. And if there's any left over, I'll crumble it up in a glass of milk later.

Mmmm. We like the jiffy mix, too. Put some butter on it warm and eat it with some baked beans. Mmmmm. :licking: :licking: :licking:

/ Non-Stick Fry Pans #74  
Like others have mentioned, I love my cast iron.
But not sure if anyone else uses this cleaning method.
I will reheat the pan and wipe all the excess grease out. Once cool I'll rinse in hot water. The place the pan back on the burner turned to high. Wait till the pan begins to smoke pretty well then remove from the heat. All of my pans have a lacquer look to them.

Wedge

/ Non-Stick Fry Pans
Wedge, we never waited for the pan to smoke, but when we cooked with gas, we dried cast iron by putting it on a burner awhile, the same way my mother did even when I was kid. Any time water was used in cleaning it, fire was used to dry it.

/ Non-Stick Fry Pans #76  
I like to store some of the weekend bacon grease for after cleaning. Yes I wash mine but not often and I store them with the grease in them and after washing with dish soap & heavily rinsing them I toss em on the stove and heat on high for a while and once dried this way I toss in a spoonful of bacon fat/grease that has already been cooked down well. Vegitable oil works but not quite so well Crisco is my 2nd best thing to use. prior to using the greased pan I heat it well and pour out any excess grease. Some times I will wipe it with a paper towel depending on what I'm cooking.

Mark

/ Non-Stick Fry Pans #77  
Bird:

Ikea sells a line of hard anodized aluminum cookware. Aluminum Oxide is extremely hard and porous so the oil tends to impregnate it like an oilite bearing.

I really like the frying pan I got from them and it works perfectly and shows not a single mark. Its about 1/4" thick, so not like some of the cookware one finds that is stamped out of sheet aluminum.

The teflon coating is relatively soft and when burnt I believe it releases cyanide. It only melts over 280C though (536F) so I don't know how likely one is to get a frying pan much hotter than that. In industries where PTFE was machined and people smoked, you would find people collapsing if a piece of teflon swarf were to settle on the end of their fag.

/ Non-Stick Fry Pans #78  
Here's another vote for cast iron. I really like Lodge cast iron. I went ahead and seasoned my new ones, even though they come pre seasoned. Just wipe with vegetable oil (didn't have any bacon grease), and put in the oven for one hour at 350 degrees and let cool in the oven. To clean, just run under hot water in the sink, wipe out with a paper towel, and spray on a coat of vegetable oil spray.

Here is my latest twist on cornbread. We love good old Jiffy mix. A couple weeks ago, I made Chili and of course you've got to have cornbread with it. When I went to the fridge to get the one-third cup of milk, I discovered we were out. Nothing else but eggnog, so I thought why not. Turns out it's really good for cornbread! Just had some again tonight with White Bean Chicken Chili.

Where's Grandpa from HeeHaw when you need him? Mmm, mmm, good!!!

GGB

/ Non-Stick Fry Pans #79  
I hate aluminum pans. Ours warp and don't heat worth a cent. The MRS. likes the glass top cooktop and doesn't like cast iron. The only good use of an aluminum cook pan I've seen was when the Power Team came to town last summer and those guys rolled up aluminum pans with their bare hands.

I partly remember some show on the dangers of overheating nonstick pans. Seems like there was mention of concern with the way the nonstick coating were formulated and applied overseas. If they were overheated, there was supposedly some increased risk of breast cancer, but I may not be remembering right, and I don't know if it was a bunch of scare stuff or not.

What I know is that well seasoned USA cast iron on a coil burner works. :thumbsup:

/ Non-Stick Fry Pans
Ikea sells a line of hard anodized aluminum cookware.

Never been in the Ikea store, but several places sell "anodized" aluminum cookware, and I think that's what I have.

Its about 1/4" thick, so not like some of the cookware one finds that is stamped out of sheet aluminum.

I'm not sure just how thick ours is, but it's thick and heavy, not at all like the think teflon coated ones we threw away.

I hate aluminum pans. Ours warp and don't heat worth a cent.

I agree, if you're talking about the think aluminum, but not the thick, heavy ones. I put enough slices of bacon in one of our new ones the other day to have it all the way up on the sides near the edge. In the old teflon coated pans, that on the sides would not have cooked as well as this did. The heat seemed to distribute quite well.

I partly remember some show on the dangers of overheating nonstick pans. Seems like there was mention of concern with the way the nonstick coating were formulated and applied overseas.

The ones we bought say the pans are made and assembled in the USA using handles made in China.