Where are the relays hidden New Holland 4020

/ Where are the relays hidden New Holland 4020 #1  

pacerron

Veteran Member
Tractor
CNH 4020
I have a new 4020 that came with a book for 4020,30,40, and 50. The fuse block is convenientley located under a plastic cover on the dash but the 40 amp maxi shown there doesn't even have a socket and is not there.
In the book there is an equipment layout box on the same page as the fuse box which indicates LEFT SIDE 1. Brake lights circuit relay, 2Timed buzzer, 3.Flasher
RIGHT HAND SIDE 4. Four wheel drive ckt relay,5. Four wheel drive ckt relay,
6. Engine starter ckt relay, 7. 40A Maxi fuse
I imagine the 40 amp maxi fuse is the one that should be located in the fuse box but is not.
I've looked around for the relays assuming they must be in-line, with no success.
Are they hidden behind some panel?

/ Where are the relays hidden New Holland 4020 #2  
On many tractors, the relays are behind the cowling under the steering wheel. That's a central location. I'm no expert on your tractor, so this is just a guess. I would think they would not be too far from the fuses.

Edit: The 40 amp fuse is probably located right at your starter motor under a cover. The battery positive cable normally runs directly to the starter solenoid and then all the power is tapped off from there for lights and accessories. Right where it is tapped off should be a small assembly with the main fuse inside. Look for a rectanular assy with a removable cover about 1-1/2" to 2" long.

/ Where are the relays hidden New Holland 4020
Jim, Thank you for your reply and thank you for your career service to our country in the USN.
I did some checking at noon with a flashlight, mirror, and camera based on your tips. The area above the starter solenoid is covered with a metal plate bolted to the exhaust system so very environment. I began looking at the battery end and discovered some in-line components that are not even mentioned in the operators manual... Pictures attached...
The 50 amp in-line fuse is probably the master fuse for the starting system in this case. I also found an in-line connector that is about an inch square and holds a device with a L25 appearing through a hole in the side. The holder says "Fuse"
Still haven't found relays. I imagine they may be behind the instrument cluster.
The cowl area you suggested is full of hydralic steering, brake and clutch arms, etc. I will keep looking until I find the 40 amp fuse which should protect the 4 pin outlet on the back that I use for my baler string motor. I would like to come off of that outlet to run the 2- 55 watt lights I mounted to my canopy, but may end up running a wire from the battery to a new relay, switch, and the lights.
The turn signals must be electronic as there is no noise anywhere when they are blinking. Tractors are getting like cars.
Ron

/ Where are the relays hidden New Holland 4020 #4  
Wow! The photo of your fuse cover with layout shows the 40A fuse, but it is not at the right side of your other fuses. Do you suppose it is stuffed under the dash to the side of the other fuses? I'm just grasping at straws here. I looked at the online electrical parts diagrams and they were no help at all. :(

I downloaded the electrical section @ Messick's and it shows a 40 amp cube type fuse but no location.. See attached.
I only need about 9 amps for the lights but the way they have cobbled the wiring system together on this unit, there may be something else adding a constant load. Since I depend on that plug when baling I want to locate the fuse and have a spare. I called the dealer about it with no joy. That would be an easy location for power up the ROP and to the canopy lights.
Do you have a plug on your TC45D similar to that for brake power and hydralic pump power to your dump trailer? I have a dump trailer very similar to yours but smaller capacity.

/ Where are the relays hidden New Holland 4020 #6  
Do you have a plug on your TC45D similar to that for brake power and hydralic pump power to your dump trailer? I have a dump trailer very similar to yours but smaller capacity.

No, I'm a bit embarrassed to admit it:eek:, but I have shuttle valves and hydraulic lines to hook the hydraulics directly into my remotes, but have just not got around to making the mod. I also plan to put an electric brake controller inside the utility box at the front of the trailer and just power it directly off the battery. That way the brake controller can control the brakes whether I'm towing it with a tractor or my pickup. I'm sure I could charge the battery from the tractor, but it is probably not required. I can charge the battery and it will easily last for several days for the brakes if I don't use it to run the hydraulic pump. With the controller in the trailer, I lose the ability to manually energize the brakes, but I can count on 1 finger the times I've done that when I had the controller mounted under the dash of my pickup on another trailer.:)

/ Where are the relays hidden New Holland 4020 #7  
What about this image that shows the 40 amp fuse on the right? That is what has me confused. . . amongst other things.;)
217878d1308435924-where-relays-hidden-new-holland-_rw_1707.jpg

If you look at the image of the actual fuses, RW 1708, you see there is no fuse holder in that position. The sticker on the side of the grey fuse dashboard cover that I show sitting on top of the dash in the image RW 1707 also shows a 10 amp fuse in socket 14 and a 5 amp fuse in socket 15. The sockets are there on my fuseblock but the fuses are missing because I have a manual forward/reverse shuttle control. These fuses are for the electric shuttle on tractors that have it. Image RW 1706 shows the cover that has the fuse location sticker in it's normal position covering the fuses.
I have to push in the clutch pedal when using the manual shuttle to go from forward to reverse or to neutral. All gear ranges work with the shuttle.

/ Where are the relays hidden New Holland 4020 #9  
If you look at the image of the actual fuses, RW 1708, you see there is no fuse holder in that position.

Exactly! It seems almost like its an optional item. You don't reckon it's optional, and you get a fuse and pigtail installed if you buy that option?

Negative..
If you look at picture RW 1705 you see the 2 plug caps on the rear of the tractor. The top one is the 7 pin trailer plug and the Hella plug below it is the 4 pin 40 amp outlet. The manual says, "Can be used for small motors"
I have used it successfully for 2 haymaking seasons to operate the electric motor that plays out the string on my round baler. There are 2 hot wires and 2 negative wires. Probably for motor reversing but I have a toggle switch for that so only use 1 pair.
This tractor was built at the Jesi, Italy plant and uses European devices, and logic.