Help with buying Toyota Tundra or Tacoma?

/ Help with buying Toyota Tundra or Tacoma? #31  
The Tundra had a much better ride than the Tacoma. Important for my old body.

/ Help with buying Toyota Tundra or Tacoma? #32  
overseas. GM is an awful company and I'll never buy one of their vehicles.

You do realize with Toyota you are cheerleading for a company that had side stepped or delayed many recalls over the years that led to the deaths of quite a few people. The 5 year delay in recalling the faulty accelerator pedals and floor mats alone caused close to 100 deaths in the U.S. Some entire families were wiped out in crashes. Internal Toyota memos called the limited recall "A win for Toyota..." because they saved 100 million dollars. :mad:

Toyota Recall: Internal Document Declares 'Win' After Negotiating Limited Recall, Saving $100 Million In 2007

Toyota executive urged board ‘to come clean’ - Times Online

Here is a video link comparing all the current full size trucks. Watch the bed flex on the Tundra...its comical :laughing:
Durabilty TEST Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge vs Toyota - YouTube

/ Help with buying Toyota Tundra or Tacoma? #33  
toyota.jpg 1995 with over 300,00miles on the 4banger. Would def.go with the Tundra if your going to be pulling. But would agree on the EcoBoost(twin turbo 6cyl.) ford but its not in the running(friend bought one gets great fuel mileage and will surely pull) fx4 paid 34....

/ Help with buying Toyota Tundra or Tacoma? #34  
You do realize with Toyota you are cheerleading for a company that had side stepped or delayed many recalls over the years that led to the deaths of quite a few people. The 5 year delay in recalling the faulty accelerator pedals and floor mats alone caused close to 100 deaths in the U.S. Some entire families were wiped out in crashes. Internal Toyota memos called the limited recall "A win for Toyota..." because they saved 100 million dollars. :mad:

Toyota Recall: Internal Document Declares 'Win' After Negotiating Limited Recall, Saving $100 Million In 2007

[Do you remember the Pinto, later model Fords(all models) with cruise control module mounted on the brake master cylinder, ignition switches, etc, etc, etc. Check a Ford truck forum and look into the transmission problems some of those TT 3.5's are having. All manufacturer's have issues and Ford is no better at fessing up than any of the others :ashamed:

/ Help with buying Toyota Tundra or Tacoma? #35  
Back to the original question, Tundra or Tacoma? I own a marina and haul about 400 boats per year from 14 ft to 26 ft 5 miles to 160 miles and own one of each. I have owned a 1994 Ford F150, 1997 GMC sierra 1500 and a 1999 Dodge 1500 all with V8 power, trailer towing package and automatic transmission. My 2010 4.6 litre Tundra with a trailer towing package and 6 speed automatic beats all of the above hands down! Our 2007 Tacoma with the 4 litre V6 is a great backup and works well at some of our tight launch sites but the Tundra pulls strong has great brakes and sway bars, the extendable mirrors and limited slip rear end work great. Unless you're hauling 10,000 lbs you don't need the 5.7 which is a bear on fuel, but I'm quite happy with the milage of the 4.6. I understand it's built in North America which I can live with unlike GM, Ford and Dodge. Dodge is built in Mexico, the Ford and GM which we in Canada also bailed out then moved the production of their trucks to the US from Oakville and Oshawa Ontario respectively. Good for you Yanks but I still can't stand liars, both of which GM and Ford are in my opinion. Also I have never owned a Ford or Dodge which went an affordable 300,000 miles which all of my Toyotas have.

/ Help with buying Toyota Tundra or Tacoma?
What a great bunch of replies. I'm going with the Tundra dbl cab, V8.
Probably the 5.7 V8 but I do own a 2005 CrewMax V4.6 2WD that has pretty good power. I'll have to look into the towing for both.
Is there really much of a mileage difference between the small and large V8 when not towing?

/ Help with buying Toyota Tundra or Tacoma? #37  
What a great bunch of replies. I'm going with the Tundra dbl cab, V8.
Probably the 5.7 V8 but I do own a 2005 CrewMax V4.6 2WD that has pretty good power. I'll have to look into the towing for both.
Is there really much of a mileage difference between the small and large V8 when not towing?

I have the 5.7 with the tow package(4:30 gears) and get what I consider good mileage(17+ MPG in non interstate driving and 18 and a tad on the interstate empty.I don't know anyone with the 4.6, but from what I've read on some forums, the 4.6 gets maybe 1.5MPG better, but at a significant towing penalty. I don't think I would opt for the smaller V-8, but that's just me

/ Help with buying Toyota Tundra or Tacoma? #38  
I haven't posted for a while but I bought a 2010 Tundra dbl cab 4x4 5.7 last fall. I used it to tow my TC 40 and several attachments to the dealership back in the spring. In my humble opinion there is nothing in the 1/2 market that I have driven that compares to the power and towing ability of the 5.7 Tundra with the tow package (4.30 gears). I've owned a 5.3 Chevy and I have put several thousand miles on a Ford f150 5.4. I recently went back to a new 2011 Ford F250 6.7 crew cab. The Toyota dbl cab just wasn't big enough for me and my family and I could not get along with the short bed on the Crewmax. I haven't driven the new Silverado with a 6.2 or the new Ford Ecoboost. The Tundra will pass eveything but a gas station. The best I got was right at 18mpg and it averaged 16.2 mpg for the 11,000 miles I put on it. I did hate the fuel tank becasue it would show close to empty when it still had 4-5 gallons of fuel left.

/ Help with buying Toyota Tundra or Tacoma? #39  
Renthal said:

Toyota executive urged board ‘to come clean’ - Times Online

Here is a video link comparing all the current full size trucks. Watch the bed flex on the Tundra...its comical :laughing:
Durabilty TEST Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge vs Toyota - YouTube

Don't even get me started about recalls. The Toyota debacle was more mass hysteria than anything else. A media and government spectacle. Heck even NASA tested the "dangerous" cars and found nothing. Give me a break.

How about all the Fords that catch fire and burn their owners house down? Or the outstanding ball joint quality of Dodge. Or the fuel tanks bolt outside the frame rails on Chevy trucks from the late 80's?!

As far as taking care of the customers, Toyota is certainly at the lead of the pack. There's many owners of GM's, Fords, and Toyotas to back me up on that.

The only America car company I have respect for is Ford. The company that started it all and still one of the best.

If my life depended on a vehicle running well, I would buy a Toyota in a heart beat.

/ Help with buying Toyota Tundra or Tacoma? #40  
firemech said:
Back to the original question, Tundra or Tacoma? I own a marina and haul about 400 boats per year from 14 ft to 26 ft 5 miles to 160 miles and own one of each. I have owned a 1994 Ford F150, 1997 GMC sierra 1500 and a 1999 Dodge 1500 all with V8 power, trailer towing package and automatic transmission. My 2010 4.6 litre Tundra with a trailer towing package and 6 speed automatic beats all of the above hands down! Our 2007 Tacoma with the 4 litre V6 is a great backup and works well at some of our tight launch sites but the Tundra pulls strong has great brakes and sway bars, the extendable mirrors and limited slip rear end work great. Unless you're hauling 10,000 lbs you don't need the 5.7 which is a bear on fuel, but I'm quite happy with the milage of the 4.6. I understand it's built in North America which I can live with unlike GM, Ford and Dodge. Dodge is built in Mexico, the Ford and GM which we in Canada also bailed out then moved the production of their trucks to the US from Oakville and Oshawa Ontario respectively. Good for you Yanks but I still can't stand liars, both of which GM and Ford are in my opinion. Also I have never owned a Ford or Dodge which went an affordable 300,000 miles which all of my Toyotas have.

There ya go. You can't get a more straight forward opinion than that folks!