Help with buying Toyota Tundra or Tacoma?

/ Help with buying Toyota Tundra or Tacoma? #41  
You do realize with Toyota you are cheerleading for a company that had side stepped or delayed many recalls over the years that led to the deaths of quite a few people. The 5 year delay in recalling the faulty accelerator pedals and floor mats alone caused close to 100 deaths in the U.S. Some entire families were wiped out in crashes. Internal Toyota memos called the limited recall "A win for Toyota..." because they saved 100 million dollars. :mad:

Toyota Recall: Internal Document Declares 'Win' After Negotiating Limited Recall, Saving $100 Million In 2007

[Do you remember the Pinto, later model Fords(all models) with cruise control module mounted on the brake master cylinder, ignition switches, etc, etc, etc. Check a Ford truck forum and look into the transmission problems some of those TT 3.5's are having. All manufacturer's have issues and Ford is no better at fessing up than any of the others :ashamed:

Pinto? Give me a break- Let's see that was 40 plus years ago? And the ignition switches? What was that 30 years ago? No doubt this is an emotional issue. The only two guys I know with Tundras? One sold it outright and now drives a used F-250. The other guy pisses and moans as to why he didn't stick with a Chevy.

Does Toyota build good vehicles? Yes. do Ford, GM and Mopar-er Fiat build good vehicles? Yes. Do some have issues? yes.

I look at it this way. Ford gets my vote. they didn't take a bailout and they are making it on their own. And in spite of all the hype about "American made Toyotas, Hondas, Kias, etc. the bottom line is the dollars ultimately flow back to the homeland. No doubt, it's a world economy and you can't ignore that. But I myself vote with my wallet every chance I get to do what I can to TRY to see that my grandkids have a future.

PS My 2010 Taurus SHO has 32,000 miles and hasn't been back to the dealer since the day it was new. The Ecoboost Is currently showing 24.4 mpg. About the worst it gets is 21. Was I a skeptic about all that HP from 3.5 liters and the complexity of that motor with 2 turbos? Yes- but I'll tell you, hearing the stories about what that motor went through in terms of testing, and the fact that its accumulating the miles it is in trucks, and the fact that they are hanging their rep on it for the new police Interceptor, Ford either is taking one **** of a gamble or they have the data that says its a long term winner.

/ Help with buying Toyota Tundra or Tacoma? #42  
The Tundra had a much better ride than the Tacoma. Important for my old body.

My Caddy has a better ride and more power too.......:D

It is pre-*****.....:)

My venerable '97 F350 4x4 rides like a Sherman Tank. The wife complains of sore boobs after 50 miles.:thumbsup:

/ Help with buying Toyota Tundra or Tacoma? #43  
You do realize with Toyota you are cheerleading for a company that had side stepped or delayed many recalls over the years that led to the deaths of quite a few people. The 5 year delay in recalling the faulty accelerator pedals and floor mats alone caused close to 100 deaths in the U.S. Some entire families were wiped out in crashes. Internal Toyota memos called the limited recall "A win for Toyota..." because they saved 100 million dollars. :mad:

Toyota Recall: Internal Document Declares 'Win' After Negotiating Limited Recall, Saving $100 Million In 2007

Toyota executive urged board ‘to come clean’ - Times Online

Here is a video link comparing all the current full size trucks. Watch the bed flex on the Tundra...its comical :laughing:
Durabilty TEST Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge vs Toyota - YouTube

You do realize that the faulty gas pedal was made by an American company.

/ Help with buying Toyota Tundra or Tacoma? #44  
Geez..My GMC was built in Fort Wayne, Indiana...Personally, I don't care a whit about the bailout. Chrysler had one in the 80's and it was paid back. Government backstop, that's all. Don't know or care where the wife's Hummer was built. It's still purely American as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not thrilled with the way the government stuck it to the bondholders and the union payoff, but it is what it is...Ford's CEO begged congress to to bail out the others due to the supplier cascade of failure that would have sunk Ford as well.

Remember that Ford mortgaged everything includuding the "Blue Oval" just before the credit crisis..Some luck involved there.

Anyway..The Tundra is a nice truck, but very pricey.

/ Help with buying Toyota Tundra or Tacoma? #45  
Tundra I got was same price I got a f150 for. Both equiped about the same. Now the toyota will hold its value much better than all the rest of the truck. Well in my area they do.
04 f 150, 5.4 I had nothing but trouble, last straw was the tranny gone with 63000 miles. Brakes all the time need replaced. Paint issues, cam parts needed changed and so on.
Now my 09 tundra, well as said its a pig for fuel. But man she runs. I pulled a two horse steel trailer with two cows loaded, running interstate at 70mph. Well you get on the pedal and there is no lag, its alll pull. I get about 15 mpg no matter how or where I drive it,not towing.. I also pull a 26 foot enclosed car hauler and its the same only know its there when u slow down.

/ Help with buying Toyota Tundra or Tacoma? #46  
You do realize that the faulty gas pedal was made by an American company.

And most of the accidents were caused by driver error....

But the media isn't one to let the truth get in the way of a juicy story.

/ Help with buying Toyota Tundra or Tacoma? #47  
Don't even get me started about recalls. The Toyota debacle was more mass hysteria than anything else. A media and government spectacle.
You clearly didnt read Toyotas own internal memo's. Your the type of person that would think that 9/11 was a U.S. government conspiracy;)
How about all the Fords that catch fire and burn their owners house down? Or the outstanding ball joint quality of Dodge. Or the fuel tanks bolt outside the frame rails on Chevy trucks from the late 80's?!
The difference is that if you actually dig into some of the internal documents that Toyota was forced to hand over, you will see they made a practice of covering up severe issues. Toyota was given the maximum and largest fine in auto history for their corruption and safety cover ups. No other auto maker gets that honor. Not even for the issues you are pulling up from over 30-40 years ago.

If my life depended on a vehicle running well, I would buy a Toyota in a heart beat.
Thats what the 100 people that recently lost their lives thought when they bought their Toyotas. They never figured a company would trade lives over a few bucks for replacing defective gas pedals and floor mats.

Bottom line is its great to have choice in this country. To blindly follow one brand over all the others despite the quality of the actual product in front of them wrong. The people that break it down and educate themselves understand why very few Tundras roll off the dealer lots compared to the competition.

/ Help with buying Toyota Tundra or Tacoma? #48  
Yea toyota may habe tried to cover up some issues, but they are not the only company that has done this.. And do u really think the floor mat was faulty? More just a simple excuse or try to fix an issue. You act like toyota has had the only issue with a stuck gas pedal or throttle. I had a teacher with a brand new explore that stuck wide open. Of those 100 maybe turning off the key would have helped, and some of those claims have been proven no fault of toyota.
Toyota had a huge buy back of tacomas when the frame issue came about, I have never seen another manufacure do such a think. I believe that cost them 800 million or so. Then just months after that the did a second recall for another batch or bad frames, this time replacing the frame and other parts. There was no government telling them to do it.

/ Help with buying Toyota Tundra or Tacoma? #49  
Toyota had a huge buy back of tacomas when the frame issue came about, I have never seen another manufacure do such a think. I believe that cost them 800 million or so. Then just months after that the did a second recall for another batch or bad frames, this time replacing the frame and other parts. There was no government telling them to do it.
Toyota's own internal documents boasts of financial savings because they "avoided investigation" on rusting Tacoma pickup trucks. It wasnt till they were faced with a pending class action lawsuit along with NHTSA investigation and bulletin to now Tundra owners to remove their spare tires because the frame would not support them that they acted on their rust issues.

sixdogs has asked not to have this thread turn into a pissing contest. I will now honor his wishes.:thumbsup:

/ Help with buying Toyota Tundra or Tacoma? #50  
Have a 2010 Tundra 4.6 w. tow package here & it's rated @ 8300#. Just towed a B2320/FEL/RC & back blade 1600 miles on an 18' car hauler & did just fine. I just put it in tow/haul & try not to stare at the gas gauge...but I've yet to see a pickup truck of any persuasion that gets super mpg towing.

Over 38K miles I've had every-day gas mileage better than my trusty '97 T-100 with a V-6. The 5.7 is of course bigger but the 4.6 responds pretty well to a heavy foot if so inclined & it's all I need.