Brake Controller Reese vs. Prodigy vs. ???

/ Brake Controller Reese vs. Prodigy vs. ??? #11  
i have a prodigy in my toy hauler.. really like it.

that said, in my various vehicles I also have drawtight activator II ( ok.. no frills.. but works 99$) and a cheaper hoppy.. 50$ when I bought it.. probably mor e like 65$ now.. that's in my 04 f250 )

they all have 1 thing in common.. when you step on the brakes, the trailer brakes come on... :)

i don't notice much difference in t he 'functioning' of the hoppy to the drawtight.

dial for sensitivity.. etc. prodigy is a bit more advanced... etc.

soundguy

/ Brake Controller Reese vs. Prodigy vs. ??? #12  
When I get to the Southwest Wheel web site, I can even find the write-up, but there is no way to order a MaxBrake controller. And no mention of a TBN discount.

I can find other websites that have it and I think I will order one in the near future.

That's where I bought my last one and they had a 5% disc. for TBN. May have to call and ask, maybe they did away with it? :confused:

/ Brake Controller Reese vs. Prodigy vs. ??? #13  
can't hurt to ask.. absolute worst they can do is say no and slam the phone down and curse your lineage after hanging up :)

/ Brake Controller Reese vs. Prodigy vs. ??? #14  
What about custom lines? When I switched my old Jeep CJ5 from a master cylinder under the floor to master cylinder on the firewall, I basically had to make all new lines. Of course, as part of that, I bought a double flare tool kit and benders to do it properly.

If the "T" is added properly, with correct fittings and double flaring it should not be an issue. And, pressure transducers are used all over in applications like this...

Adding this "T" and sensor, then bleeding the system is not really any different than replacing a master cylinder, wheel cylinder, or calipers.

This is not like adding a "T" and running the hydraulics to the trailer, like in the old days... No way would I do that...

Do you understand the word? You are disconnecting the brake line, the line with brake fluid in it, you then add a tee with a line heading to a pressure sensor, then you reconnect the line back up, and finally bleed the lines. If that's not tapping into the brake line then what is? :confused:

/ Brake Controller Reese vs. Prodigy vs. ??? #15  
I perhaps think the poster was referencing the increased risk of a leak or failure by introducing extra parts. A smal risk I agree.. but statistically, a risk nonetheless. IE.. a few more parts and connections to leak or fail, past the parts already installed, oem or otherwise.

I don't see it as an unreasonbable addition.. and if I pulled dailey, especially larger or sensitive loads.. I might even add it myself. i think perhaps for the average weekend warrior who pulls a 7K load on a 16ish foot trailer a couple times a month, in state, it's probably overkill. ( overkill ain't bad if ya like to roll like that ).

just my opinion.. i'm neither for nor against it.. :)

/ Brake Controller Reese vs. Prodigy vs. ???
I perhaps think the poster was referencing the increased risk of a leak or failure by introducing extra parts. A smal risk I agree.. but statistically, a risk nonetheless. IE.. a few more parts and connections to leak or fail, past the parts already installed, oem or otherwise.

I don't see it as an unreasonbable addition.. and if I pulled dailey, especially larger or sensitive loads.. I might even add it myself. i think perhaps for the average weekend warrior who pulls a 7K load on a 16ish foot trailer a couple times a month, in state, it's probably overkill. ( overkill ain't bad if ya like to roll like that ).

just my opinion.. i'm neither for nor against it.. :)

Reading the reviews for the MaxBrake, one the advantages is that once it gets set up, it does not have to be recalibrated for every different trailer it tows.

With my Prodigy, I have to recalibrate for each different trailer. I even have to recalibrate coming home from the dump with the dump trailer because it can go from 8000 lbs to 2000 lbs when it gets emptied. Now this is not a big deal and it doesn't take that much time, but every once in a while I am reminded that I didn't recalibrate it. This always happens with a heavy load near the start of a long downhill run, which is not a good time, and possibly even a dangerous time to find this out.

I have five different trailers I will tow with this rig, and DW is wanting another one. Not having to recalibrate is a much bigger deal than the possibility of a minor hydraulic leak in the brake line, which will show up whether I am towing or not.

/ Brake Controller Reese vs. Prodigy vs. ??? #17  
I have five different trailers I will tow with this rig, and DW is wanting another one. Not having to recalibrate is a much bigger deal .

and thus you would NOT be what I was refering to when i said the average weekend warrior towing 1x per month, on a single trailer.

than the possibility of a minor hydraulic leak in the brake line, which will show up whether I am towing or not.

:) I can guarantee you 100% that you will not have a leak in a 'T' that is not installed. :)

thus.. the addition of the 'T' DOES statistically raise yer chance of a leak. IE.. it's can't leak if not installed.

just sayin :)

soundguy

/ Brake Controller Reese vs. Prodigy vs. ??? #18  
The Reese is a timed controller - the braking force goes up steadily as long as the brake is applied. The Prodigy is a proportional controller - it has a simple accelerometer and applies the brake proportional to your deceleration. I don't like the idea of a timed controller when i think about an emergency stop. I have a Tekonsha Primus myself.

The MaxBrake controller that senses pedal pressure should definitely provide a better feel than a proportional controller. It's surprising to me that it doesn't have to be adjusted for various loads.

/ Brake Controller Reese vs. Prodigy vs. ??? #19  
I've never had anything but a timed controller. A couple Drawtite Activator II's, a couple Reese something or others, and some real old ones with the coil resistors under the hood. The FIL has a prodigy, and I really like how the harder I push on the brakes, the harder the trailer brakes grab. If I were in the market, that's what I would get. By the way, what does DW stand for, "designated Wife"?