Brake Controller Reese vs. Prodigy vs. ???

/ Brake Controller Reese vs. Prodigy vs. ??? #1  

CurlyDave

Elite Member
Tractor
JD TLB 110
I upgraded my tow rig from a 2000 F-150 to a (new to me) 2004 F-250 with a 6.0 liter diesel.

The primary purpose of this rig is to tow my "Redneck Hunting Lodge", a Nomad Toy Hauler, 27' from hitch to rear bumper. 2 axles, both with brakes. Manufacturer's claimed weight is 6110 lbs empty, but I suspect it is much closer to 9000 lbs when I load it for a trip.

The F-250 has a Reese Brakeman Compact controller already installed, and I have a Tekonsha Prodigy controller in the F-150, which I still have.

Question 1: Should I swap the controllers before I sell the F-150, or is the Reese a better controller? I am already familiar with the Prodigy controls and I think I like them better, but I could learn the Reese ones as well.

Question 2: Is there a significantly better brake controller available? My budget is up to ~$500 if there is anything that is seriously better than either of these.

The other thing to consider is that since I now have a much better tow rig, I might start looking for an equipment trailer for the JD 110 TLB. Oh yes, and DW wants a new camping trailer to go visit the grandkids. She refuses to even set foot in the Redneck Hunting Lodge...

/ Brake Controller Reese vs. Prodigy vs. ??? #2  
They are all about the same at that price point. If you want a great controller get a pressure driven one like the Brake Max.

Chris

/ Brake Controller Reese vs. Prodigy vs. ??? #4  
That was what I was talking about. Got the name bass akward.

Chris

/ Brake Controller Reese vs. Prodigy vs. ??? #5  
Max is best out there - but why do you HAVE to sell truck WITH controller? I'd just take it out and keep it, unless you need it as a selling point. I'd would just start towing the trailer with prodigy and get the feel and swap over to prodigy and try it out and see which you like better.

OR go all out and get the max. :thumbsup: you will say never go back to other controllers again.;)

/ Brake Controller Reese vs. Prodigy vs. ???
If you want a really good controller MaxBrake - Hydraulic over Electric Variable Brake Controller

Southwest wheel gives a TBN discount too.

When I get to the Southwest Wheel web site, I can even find the write-up, but there is no way to order a MaxBrake controller. And no mention of a TBN discount.

I can find other websites that have it and I think I will order one in the near future.

I am not sure on whether to sell the F-150 or not. I might keep it for a while and think about that. The manual says it is rated to tow up to ~7000 lbs. but my experience is that it does much better at 5000 lbs or less.

I have used it hard and it is no beauty queen, but it is still a good solid work truck. And it needs a controller for the times when a light trailer needs to go somewhere.

/ Brake Controller Reese vs. Prodigy vs. ??? #7  
I'm not a big fan of tapping into the brake lines. If you like the Prodigy I would keep it. Mine has never let me down. I'm not sure if Reese makes their controller. I think they are owned by the same company that owns Tekonsha, Cequent. The Reese seams to be more of a basic controller while the prodigy is more advanced. Also I don't think the brakeman has a lifetime warranty. I'm sure it'll work fine but I would keep the prodigy. Since they are kind of the same company it could be a plug and play swap.

/ Brake Controller Reese vs. Prodigy vs. ??? #8  
You are not tapping into the brake line. All you do is install a T fitting with a pressure sensor. One more fitting than factory.

I would guess a typical brake system has 20 plus fittings already if you count 2 at the master cylinder, 8 at the abs unit, & 2 at each wheel where it goes from solid to rubber line.

Worring about so called tapping in is silly.

Chris

/ Brake Controller Reese vs. Prodigy vs. ??? #9  
You are not tapping into the brake line. All you do is install a T fitting with a pressure sensor. One more fitting than factory.

I would guess a typical brake system has 20 plus fittings already if you count 2 at the master cylinder, 8 at the abs unit, & 2 at each wheel where it goes from solid to rubber line.

Worring about so called tapping in is silly.

Chris

Do you understand the word? You are disconnecting the brake line, the line with brake fluid in it, you then add a tee with a line heading to a pressure sensor, then you reconnect the line back up, and finally bleed the lines. If that's not tapping into the brake line then what is? :confused:

/ Brake Controller Reese vs. Prodigy vs. ??? #10  
Do you understand the word? You are disconnecting the brake line, the line with brake fluid in it, you then add a tee with a line heading to a pressure sensor, then you reconnect the line back up, and finally bleed the lines. If that's not tapping into the brake line then what is? :confused:

Tit for tat. I do brake jobs just about weekly and have installed two of these controllers now on customers vehicles. A extra fitting would not concern me a bit.

I just got done adding a second set of hydraulic disc brakes to a trailer Friday. I guess I should not have done that since I had to add a T to the main brake line, then a 36" section of hose, another T, then a 24" section hose and a 72" section of hose to go to the left and right brake. Thats 6 more fittings. I guess the guy should park the trailer now since it has all these fittings the thing will fail and kill someone.:confused2: Then bleed the entire system. Its destine to fail.... Right!

Buy what you want but you are missing the boat with a hydraulic system. Hands down the best on the market behind the Ford factory system, GM, Dodge, ect.

Chris

Last edited: