Caught an Intruder

/ Caught an Intruder #111  
Actually I do have dogs, but oddly enough they didn't make a sound, probably because they were as unaware of the intruder as I was, or at least that's my theory anyway.

Sounds like you need some new replacement dogs.

/ Caught an Intruder #112  
You would have to see the area and know the entire circumstances of the situation to understand why I reacted to the intruder the way I did. I am not given to panic, nor prone to irrational thinking, and don't feel the need to justify my reaction to anyone. However, I will say this...

If the intruder was just someone who was "lost" or was simply the property owner "just standing" on the edge of his own property, then why did he flee immediately upon being sighted? Besides, he was not standing on his property, he was standing on my property. Not to mention the fact that he was not merely standing, he was hiding.

Lastly, there is much information I have not disclosed about this situation. As mentioned previously, this is a public forum and for all I know the intruder may very well...

I understand your reticience for full disclosure. (And in truth, anticipated your response) Yet given the information we had, I found most of the suggestions rather paranoic.

Last edited:
   / Caught an Intruder #113  
Sounds like you need some new replacement dogs.

Probably a very different case, but it reminds me of my uncle's big 'ol dog. He was so hyper and violent that he had to keep him penned up. Anytime I walked by him, he would bark his head off. You would think that he would get to know me after a while, but no, he would still bark his head off anytime I got near him. His pen was right next to the garage. One day I heard that someone went into the garage and stole my cousin's bike. All of a sudden, it hit me. ....how about the dog!! How did anyone steal a bike with that dog right there!! Evidently he slept through the whole thing....

/ Caught an Intruder #114  
JD435Bill said:
Probably a very different case, but it reminds me of my uncle's big 'ol dog. He was so hyper and violent that he had to keep him penned up. Anytime I walked by him, he would bark his head off. You would think that he would get to know me after a while, but no, he would still bark his head off anytime I got near him. His pen was right next to the garage. One day I heard that someone went into the garage and stole my cousin's bike. All of a sudden, it hit me. ....how about the dog!! How did anyone steal a bike with that dog right there!! Evidently he slept through the whole thing....

That's an easy one Bill. The dog was exhausted from barking at you.

/ Caught an Intruder #116  
Seems that y'all expect a shady character bent on mischief thinks logically like YOU do...and has same motivations and fears... NOPE, don't think so.

Once upon a time, a friend of mine was moving, and had most of his stuff in his car. A bunch of his original artwork was stolen from the car, which confused me, because right next to it was some electronic stuff--a TV, an Xbox, so forth. The art was wonderful, but I doubt it would fetch much at a pawn shop. The electronics seemed to me to be the obvious choice, and I was confused.

I told this story to a person once, and he sagely explained, "What you have to understand is, most criminals are drunk." Kind of put everything into perspective for me.

/ Caught an Intruder #117  
I think your reaction to this is appropriate, as is your plan to make your property more secure, which in turn will build back your confidence and peace of mind. This is not "over-reacting", this is "taking necessary precautions"..there is a difference. I would not want to throw the dice on that guy being harmless. I spent a entire career being educated in the depths of human depravity and I learned that it's a bottomless pit. I will never assume harmless intent of anyone stalking my family or home....ever.

As far as your dogs go, he was most likely downwind and out of a direct line of sight. Dogs have a fantastic nose and eyes that pick up even slight movement first before outlines or shape. If they don't step into the cone of scent or have the wind take it to them, they can't smell anyone. I would say that if the guy returns next time he won't be so lucky and get "missed" by them.

/ Caught an Intruder #118  

Reminds me of the Allstate commercial, where the bad guys give the "dog", the Allstate Mr. Mayhem, a bone and he enjoys it, while they do what they do....

Funny as crap.

I've had to question mine a few times when a "new" car pulls up the driveway. They seem to be quite docile. I guess cause I am around. The good thing is the drivers, once they see the dogs, just beep for attention. :)

/ Caught an Intruder #119  
I sort of question, not criticize, all of the security camera planning. It would seem the priority would be notification of an intruders presence rather than a record after the fact. Motion detection lighting and alarms certainly seem appropriate to either scare away or offer time to prepare for an intruder. It just seems like the expense, given a limited budget, of camera systems would do little in the way of notification. Even with a record you have little chance of any satisfaction form a trespassing charge and if it is a record of theft or assault you have already lost the battle. Again this isn't criticizing any of the planning I have just been thinking of where I personally would concentrate my expenditures to provide the most security to my family.

I also suspect that if your area is like mine it was a Meth head looking for something easily grabbed to trade for another hit. It is a terrible problem here. According to my conversations with local LEO the only plus side is they are generally very paranoid and easily scared. Something like motion lights and they just move on to the next place.

MarkV

/ Caught an Intruder #120  
I think your reaction to this is appropriate, as is your plan to make your property more secure, which in turn will build back your confidence and peace of mind. This is not "over-reacting", this is "taking necessary precautions"..there is a difference. I would not want to throw the dice on that guy being harmless. I spent a entire career being educated in the depths of human depravity and I learned that it's a bottomless pit. I will never assume harmless intent of anyone stalking my family or home....ever.

Same here, I spent my career dealing with criminals and victims; scary when you know what is really out there and what can happen. It may not be likely, but certainly possible and as mentioned we can choose to ignore it and hope for the best or take reasonable precautions in the event our hopes are not realized.

Of all the victims of crime, other than domestic violence, there were few who didn't say something to the effect of "I never thought something like this could happen to me." If some think I am paranoid, it's certainly not the worst I've been called.