Most wood in a cord: Split or in the round?

/ Most wood in a cord: Split or in the round? #21  
I've seen the term "well fitted" used by old woods guys here to describe how firewood cords are supposed to be.

I think there is really only one way to accurately sell firewood, and that is by weight with a moisture correction factor. A ton of wood has about the same btu heat value--what is really being bought and sold--regardless of species if the moisture level is accounted for. The volume is not the same from one species to another to make that ton of wood.

Years ago when I worked on a farm, the grain elevator always checked the moisture level from down in the gravity wagon a ways, and that was applied to the weight on the scales. Wood could work the same way, but it would also be open to fudging with "friendly" moisture meters and scales. :laughing:

In the forest industry you buy wood by the weight it rolls across the scales with. Dosent matter if it was cut yesterday or layed on the ground for 2 months and lost 5000lbs of weight thats what you get paid for. This is the reason we get so upset when our loggers cut a week ahead, then it rains and they have to move off for 2-4 weeks then move back on. NOt only do you loose product sometimes (like logs will blue stain and no longer be logs and have to go for pulpwood) but you loose a lot of weight. This is water yes but the mill pays for that water!!!

/ Most wood in a cord: Split or in the round? #22  
I'm thinking an infinitely large diameter log trimmed down would give the best volume.

Of course infinitely small diameter logs might give the best free stacked volume? :confused3::eek::(

/ Most wood in a cord: Split or in the round?
a cord is a cord 4x4x8 a gallon of water or a gallon of ice is still a gallon

Except when it is firewood that contains a lot of air. A gallon of water or ice has no open air. Quite a difference.

Harry K

Exactly

Harry K

Ah, but that is "solid wood", A cord contains lots of air.

Harry K

No its not, Ice expands!! Thats why pipes burst. A gallon of water frozen will occupy more space than a liquid gallon. Wood is different to.

A cord is defined as the amount of wood TIGHTLY stacked as normal in a 4x4x8 areas. SOLID wood in a cord varies i think folks use like 92cuft give or take of solid wood. Its been a few years since college and we dont use cords in forestery really anymore so i have forgotten? But point is there is air in that cord not a solid 4x4x8 block of wood. The size of pieces affects the air space in the 128 cuft. Large logs will have a different volume than small logs in the same area, i just cant remember which way it goes though.

It does seem when you split rounds you have larger stacks of wood when stacked though.

Yep, rule of thumb is a 4x4x8 pile of rounds will grow abut 10% after splitting/stacking. In processing wood, every step from tree to a finished split adds more air to the pile.

Harry K

/ Most wood in a cord: Split or in the round? #27  
I use a dump trailer to haul wood, If I split the wood and stack it I can get an easy 3 cords, if I stack rounds, I am getting about 2 and 1/4. I get my wood on crown land, and do not have to pay for it just find the good stuff and go get it. Standing dead is the best.

In the forest industry you buy wood by the weight it rolls across the scales with. Dosent matter if it was cut yesterday or layed on the ground for 2 months and lost 5000lbs of weight thats what you get paid for. This is the reason we get so upset when our loggers cut a week ahead, then it rains and they have to move off for 2-4 weeks then move back on. NOt only do you loose product sometimes (like logs will blue stain and no longer be logs and have to go for pulpwood) but you loose a lot of weight. This is water yes but the mill pays for that water!!!

When did that change. Last time I worked in a mill...um....1953 every log was scaled as it arrived. Lots of disagreements about the scaler using rubber scales, etc. :)

Makes sense that it would change, cut out the cost of hiring a scaler and the time he spends at it.

Harry K

To get the most wood for your money when buying firewood, buy it 'in the round'. A measured cord of rounds will produce a full cord of splits and some left over (about 10%)

For those who doubt that here is a simple experiment. Take a tapered carrot and a box lid. Slice the carrot up into "rounds" and pack as many as you can single lay in the box lid. Dump out, split in halfs and try to put them all back in (single layer). You'll have some left over. To carry it further, dump out the "half splits" and split them. Put the 'quarter splts' back in the lid. Again you'll hve some left over.

For those who think they can load in rounds and then add splits in hte "holes" - eyeball your next load - you'll find that, unless the rounds are HUGE, there will only be a hole or two big enough to tak anything more than a piece of kindling.

Harry K

/ Most wood in a cord: Split or in the round? #30  
Quote Originally Posted by bucktaker: a cord is a cord 4x4x8 a gallon of water or a gallon of ice is still a gallon

I think he's jerking your chain there. A gallon of water is a volume measurement, but weighs 8.3 pounds, a gallon of frozen water would still weigh 8.3 pounds, but would expand to to a larger volume. A hard measurement would be a cord, a gallon or a weight. He's comparing apples to Volkswagens, but I think he posted a smiley after his comment.