kioti dk45s jumping out of gear

/ kioti dk45s jumping out of gear #11  
I have a DK50, with 400hrs or so. It has popped out a bit when I got it at 250 hours, it would pop out driving down the road in 4th gear high. At like 325 it started being impossible to shift from forward to reverse sometimes, like impossible. I changed the hydraulic fluid and found a piece of metal in it. Maybe it was a piece of the fork, or maybe my thrashing on the shuttle shifter to try to get it into either forward or reverse that broke something...

It started getting worse, but a lot of my hours are on the backhoe or just creeping around with pallets and idling around the yard. This past fall I had to hold the lever in forward while bush hogging or it would pop out. I was moving snow with it yesterday, and until it warmed up you couldn't even hardly move without it popping out, and pushing a pile back was impossible without holding it in.

I actually just joined and was going to make a new post asking about the same thing. Figuring there was some large amount of hassle involved. I am thinking maybe I need to take it apart and see what is going on in the transmission. Either way I am pretty unhappy about it, 400hours of relatively light use, the other brand of orange tractor wouldn't have this sort of problem.

My Kioti dealer Bachelder Sales in ME, who is really awesome, mentioned something about the shift fork being the problem, hoping maybe that would fix it.

Also I seem to be having foaming in the hydraulic fluid, any things to look for as the cause of that?

/ kioti dk45s jumping out of gear #12  
I have a DK50, with 400hrs or so. It has popped out a bit when I got it at 250 hours, it would pop out driving down the road in 4th gear high. At like 325 it started being impossible to shift from forward to reverse sometimes, like impossible. I changed the hydraulic fluid and found a piece of metal in it. Maybe it was a piece of the fork, or maybe my thrashing on the shuttle shifter to try to get it into either forward or reverse that broke something...

It started getting worse, but a lot of my hours are on the backhoe or just creeping around with pallets and idling around the yard. This past fall I had to hold the lever in forward while bush hogging or it would pop out. I was moving snow with it yesterday, and until it warmed up you couldn't even hardly move without it popping out, and pushing a pile back was impossible without holding it in.

I actually just joined and was going to make a new post asking about the same thing. Figuring there was some large amount of hassle involved. I am thinking maybe I need to take it apart and see what is going on in the transmission. Either way I am pretty unhappy about it, 400hours of relatively light use, the other brand of orange tractor wouldn't have this sort of problem.

My Kioti dealer Bachelder Sales in ME, who is really awesome, mentioned something about the shift fork being the problem, hoping maybe that would fix it.

Also I seem to be having foaming in the hydraulic fluid, any things to look for as the cause of that?
Your tractor brand says you have a: K....a DK-50, They don't make DK series, KIOTI does.
I also don't see how you can say the other brand of orange tractor wouldn't have this sort of problem?! Really?!:confused2: How do you figure?
What year is your DK-50? I take it it's off warranty? You bought it used? You thrash it and suspect that may be why you found metal in the trans oil?
Please say more about why the tractor is disappointing you?
Welcome to TBN too.

/ kioti dk45s jumping out of gear #13  
I have a kioti. I am disappointed because it pops out of gear which makes it impossible to use for most things, what is unclear about that? I had to thrash on the lever to get the machine to move. Nothing should be breaking at 300hrs. As the person that started the thread talked about, he isn't the only person with this problem, and any problem with the transmission under the relatively light use and low hours that I have I pathetic.

I don't think a kubota would have the same problem...

Is there a problem with thinking that a brand other than what you own is better? There is a reason that kubota has better resale value, history of reliability...

/ kioti dk45s jumping out of gear #14  
I have a kioti. I am disappointed because it pops out of gear which makes it impossible to use for most things, what is unclear about that? I had to thrash on the lever to get the machine to move. Nothing should be breaking at 300hrs. As the person that started the thread talked about, he isn't the only person with this problem, and any problem with the transmission under the relatively light use and low hours that I have I pathetic.

Is there a problem with thinking that a brand other than what you own is better? There is a reason that kubota has better resale value, history of reliability...
T

Then why did you buy the Kioti??

/ kioti dk45s jumping out of gear #15  
Logmaster and njpenywort welcome to TBN.

As you can see some people here are extremely loyal Koiti owners.

There is a lot of technical knowledge available from members on this forum. I suspect that like myself, unless I have had to fix it, I really do not have any knowledge to pass on. What I have read about you problem on this forum is that Koiti's fix is a beefer shifter fork. Now this seems to fix the problem for some and temporally for others. I have an HST so I really don't know that much about shuttles. I hope the experts step in here and correct me. But I believe you have to come to a complete stop before shifting into fwd or reverse or you will damage the forks. I know this does not fix your problem, but maybe it will explain it.

/ kioti dk45s jumping out of gear #16  
.... There is a lot of technical knowledge available from members on this forum. I suspect that like myself, unless I have had to fix it, I really do not have any knowledge to pass on....

Certainly true in my case.

...I believe you have to come to a complete stop before shifting into fwd or reverse or you will damage the forks...

Absolutely true for the shuttle shift. This is simply a synchronized manual gear box. I always shift in two steps, e.g. fwd to neutral, pause, and neutral to reverse. There are powershift shuttles on the market but the DK45s isn't one of them.

Last edited:
   / kioti dk45s jumping out of gear #17  

You're new here on TBN. I did not say that you were unclear as to why you're disappointed, I said: "... say more about WHY you're disappointed..."
Thrashing a manual shift tractor regardless of hours on the clock is not going to make it shift better. You CHOSE to thrash it- nobody forced you to do so- so own it.
And your comments about Kubota are not pertinent to this conversation. If you are so thrilled by their tractors why do you, as Murphy already asked, own a Kioti?
I personally couldn't care less if you favor whatever brand tractor you choose, BUT if you want the help of knowledgeable people on this forum then stick to the topic and discuss your Kioti and seek out the assistance of those who are willing to help you resolve YOUR problem with YOUR KIOTI. It has been my experience that Kioti stands behind their products and gets things fixed- often with the assistance of people from these forums guiding the retail customer in the right direction. That has been the case for my two Kiotis, a DK-35se/hst and now a DK-40se/hst, with a total of 850+ hours since May'09.

Why would you take it apart yourself- unless it's off warranty?! What if anything have you done to date other than changing the hydraulic fluid and finding a piece of metal? When did it start 'foaming'? Since you changed the fluid? Did you change the filter too?

BTW, if you want to start a new thread about Kioti vs. Kubota feel free- but statements of what you may think is the case about reliability and resale value are better off elsewhere so this thread, which was started by someone else can stay on topic and not get hijacked.

/ kioti dk45s jumping out of gear #18  
I have no need to start a thread about kubota vs kioti. I came looking for some help. It is. 2003, it isn't under any warranty.
I am disappointed because it started jumping out of gear with less than 300 hours. Most of those hours were pushing snow, using the backhoe. I always stop before shifting. I don't do a three step process unless I have to, which is most of the time now. I didn't know as one poster said that the shuttle shift wasn't great in my dk50, I might have bought another tractor if I knew that was the case.

Also the level lift loader doesn't have enough rollback to load the bucket more than half way. Kioti has a kit for that, $2000 to make the loader load more than a 1/2 a bucket...

A ball in the loader lever broke off, the cable actuated joystick isn't be best.

A fitting blew out of the backhoe attachment and I had to retap the body with less than 50 hours on the backhoe...

As to my thrashing the shuttle shift lever. I tried being gentle I tired turning it on and off, I tried just about everything. But I run a business and I didn't have the option of waiting three weeks to get the job done. It needed to be done, and also if I didn't get it into gear by thrashing the level I never could have gotten it on a trailer to a dealer anyway...

I changed the fluid and filter on the hydro at the same time.

I asked about foaming because the popping out of gear is worse when it is cold, which is when I think the foaming is worse. I thought maybe there was a correlation.

Can the defective shifter fork be replaced with the tractor together?

/ kioti dk45s jumping out of gear #19  
njpenywort,

Good description of the issues you've had to date. Sorry to hear you've had so much trouble. I don't know the answer to your question about the fork replacement, or the foaming problem, but I'm sure someone who does will read your post and get you the answers you're looking for; possibly Wallace, or Michigan Iron & Equipment, both dealers with extensive collective knowledge of these tractors.
TBNers will help you find resolution to your tractor woes. Try to be patient while the posts get read by those who know more about these particular issues.

/ kioti dk45s jumping out of gear #20  
Did you buy the tractor new? Why didn't you have it checked out at 300hrs when it started popping out of gear? I know there have been some problems w/ the joystick, but I personally have not had an issue with either the Kioti or Bobcat I have now.

What type of oil did you use when changing trans? Has the foaming been occurring since you changed?