How to Choose Replacement Car Parts

/ How to Choose Replacement Car Parts #1  

Travelover

Elite Member
Tractor
B7100
I've got a 2004 Taurus nearing the 100,000 mile mark. It has been a great car needing just tires and brakes. So I figure it probably needs spark plugs, new serpentine belt, PCV valve, coolant, etc.

I like the convenience of Rock Auto, so I start looking for parts and for every component they have a bunch of alternatives. How do you choose a part these days? Does the Goodyear or Dayco name on a hose mean anything?

And what about plugs? Platinum, double platinum , iridium? Champion, NGK, Bosch?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

/ How to Choose Replacement Car Parts #2  
when buying from rock auto. I usually stay in the middle.. not the most expensive ,but not the cheapest

/ How to Choose Replacement Car Parts #3  
I tend to shy away instantly when they say, "but it has a lifetime warranty". Something about a very low price and they will replace it every time it stops working.
I guess, that just my thing.
:>(

/ How to Choose Replacement Car Parts #4  
I've got a 2004 Taurus nearing the 100,000 mile mark. It has been a great car needing just tires and brakes. So I figure it probably needs spark plugs, new serpentine belt, PCV valve, coolant, etc.

I like the convenience of Rock Auto, so I start looking for parts and for every component they have a bunch of alternatives. How do you choose a part these days? Does the Goodyear or Dayco name on a hose mean anything?

And what about plugs? Platinum, double platinum , iridium? Champion, NGK, Bosch?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Go with double platinum plugs. Auto lite is what I would use. Definitely stay away from champion unless you want to replace the plugs next week.

Goodyear or Gates would be a good belt.

Check your owners manual and see what coolant it specs.

If it has the 3.0 OHV you better change the plug wires too. Bosch good from rock auto. Belden are good from Napa.

I would just get the parts and Napa and not have to pay for shipping.

/ How to Choose Replacement Car Parts #5  
I go with OEM (original equipment manufacture) all the time.

/ How to Choose Replacement Car Parts
Go with double platinum plugs. Auto lite is what I would use. Definitely stay away from champion unless you want to replace the plugs next week.

Goodyear or Gates would be a good belt.

Check your owners manual and see what coolant it specs.

If it has the 3.0 OHV you better change the plug wires too. Bosch good from rock auto. Belden are good from Napa.

I would just get the parts and Napa and not have to pay for shipping.

Thanks. Do you mean over head cam (OHC) engine? It is the DOHC 4 valve per cylinder engine.

/ How to Choose Replacement Car Parts #7  
Thanks. Do you mean over head cam (OHC) engine? It is the DOHC 4 valve per cylinder engine.

No problem. They have a 3.0 OHV, overhead valve and a 3.0 DOHC, dual over head cam. I was thinking the DOHC was coil on plug but it still has wires, NAPA lists wires for both. So with either motor you will need plug wires.

/ How to Choose Replacement Car Parts #8  
napa sell's the beldon wires in our area don't know bout your area.

/ How to Choose Replacement Car Parts #9  
No problem. They have a 3.0 OHV, overhead valve and a 3.0 DOHC, dual over head cam. I was thinking the DOHC was coil on plug but it still has wires, NAPA lists wires for both. So with either motor you will need plug wires.

I had just had a customer drop off a 2000 sable with the DOHC motor today. It does not have plug wires, it is a coil on plug.

/ How to Choose Replacement Car Parts #10  
Different people are different. 100K isn't bad. A new set of plugs is good... But I wouldn't go overboard, as the last set has lasted you 100K already.

I know some people like preventative replacement of belts, hoses, and etc. Personally I just replace stuff that goes bad, but that does mean to expect something to occasionally break. But, if you go into the store and ask for one of each... your bill will be quite excessive.

Perhaps the one hidden, and potentially very damaging item is the timing belt. Unfortunately, they can be a pain to replace too. But, a much bigger pain to fix if they break.