RTV 900 Rear U joints

/ RTV 900 Rear U joints #1  

rascal810

Tractor
GC2300 and many others :)
I found a alternative to buying the K7571-91320 / K7561-01220 Rear shaft U joints from Kubota for $60 each. Took machine apart to replace leaking shaft seal and discovered that the U joint were bad. Didnt figure that local dealer had them in stock anyway so I started looking around online and found that a lot of people are using the 397 precisions but grinding down the sides of there yokes but that didnt sound like a very good idea to me so I tracked down one that fits without modification. A 1-1557DL from Autozone(about $9) will fit and the 98-703 Transtar or a 5-1503X Spicer(about $25). All you need to do to get them in there is clean the paint and buildup off of both edges and they went right in for me in the vise. The spicer ones come with the wrong clips so you have to reuse your originals but the ones from autozone come with the right clips not sure on the transtars. They do sit a little bit lower in the joint so the cap is slightly recessed inside of the yoke but that doesnt hurt anything. :)

Attachments

• P1250002.jpg
    P1250002.jpg
    845.4 KB · Views: 5,377
   / RTV 900 Rear U joints #2  
Great resource. Don't need these but nice to know for future reference.
:thumbsup:

/ RTV 900 Rear U joints #3  
To the OP,

Just curious as to how many hours were on your RTV before the seal and U-joint failures?

Steve

/ RTV 900 Rear U joints
Sorry for delayed response it has 1500 hours

/ RTV 900 Rear U joints #5  
1,500 wow I just rolled 450 hours! What year is yours?

/ RTV 900 Rear U joints
1,500 wow I just rolled 450 hours! What year is yours?

Good question:laughing: It has the HST release so it isnt a really early one. Have seen other ones with over 2k quite a few times.

/ RTV 900 Rear U joints #7  
Great info, thanks!! I've had 3 of them for maybe a month and they're around 200 hours each, so I'll be using this tip soon enough...

/ RTV 900 Rear U joints #8  
I found a alternative to buying the K7571-91320 / K7561-01220 Rear shaft U joints from Kubota for $60 each. Took machine apart to replace leaking shaft seal and discovered that the U joint were bad. Didnt figure that local dealer had them in stock anyway so I started looking around online and found that a lot of people are using the 397 precisions but grinding down the sides of there yokes but that didnt sound like a very good idea to me so I tracked down one that fits without modification. A 1-1557DL from Autozone(about $9) will fit and the 98-703 Transtar or a 5-1503X Spicer(about $25). All you need to do to get them in there is clean the paint and buildup off of both edges and they went right in for me in the vise. The spicer ones come with the wrong clips so you have to reuse your originals but the ones from autozone come with the right clips not sure on the transtars. They do sit a little bit lower in the joint so the cap is slightly recessed inside of the yoke but that doesnt hurt anything. :)

I want to Thank you so much for giving this information...
My RTV900 went down without warning on Friday evening on Labor day weekend, Saturday morning I found this post and went right over to Autozone, got the part (1-1557DL) and it worked Perfect, just as you stated. this saved me about 60 miles of driving and waiting a week for the part.... the $50 saved was just icing on the cake!! If you were in OKC I'd buy you a hamburger!! :)

PS. my RTV900 is a 2005 with 375 hours on it and this is the 2nd u-joint I've replaced, I think I replaced the same one about 4-5 Years (75-100 hours) ago. (passenger side rear, transmission joint)

/ RTV 900 Rear U joints #9  
Yeah this is definitely good info. The Kubota joints have gone up a little since this thread started, though the dealer I use had them in stock. I just did all four for a customer along with the transmission housing gasket. His machine had over 3000 hours on it. The two inner joints were bad but I did all four while it was apart so I was coming back in a few months to do it again.

Brian

/ RTV 900 Rear U joints #10  
Great info, thanks!! I've had 3 of them for maybe a month and they're around 200 hours each, so I'll be using this tip soon enough...

Just got the email reminder that this thread has been updated... My update is I'm close to 4000 hours on my four RTVs (I got another one about a month after my post above, and yes, that's four thousand hours each) and still have the original joints. In fact, 99.99% of all the parts on the units are still original.