RTV 900 Rear U joints

/ RTV 900 Rear U joints #11  
Just got the email reminder that this thread has been updated... My update is I'm close to 4000 hours on my four RTVs (I got another one about a month after my post above, and yes, that's four thousand hours each) and still have the original joints. In fact, 99.99% of all the parts on the units are still original.
You must run a RTV trail riding business to get 4000 hours in just a bit over a year. That is almost 9 hours per day/ everyday.

/ RTV 900 Rear U joints #12  
You must run a RTV trail riding business to get 4000 hours in just a bit over a year. That is almost 9 hours per day/ everyday.

Gary- See my signature. They're hauling 40-passenger tram trailers on a 610-acre resort/school/sports training facility.

/ RTV 900 Rear U joints #13  
Good info on sourcing aftermarket U joints. I ran into the same thing from Polaris and on a web thread I got a NAPA part number for the same part. The cool part is NAPA part number 338 universal joint replacement is what Polaris Magnum 325 ATV's and a ton of others uses.

It seems many makers use standard production parts when possible to keep down costs so if one can get the part numbers to cross it is a way to save time and money. Local factory dealers basically carry no replacement parts any more it seems but I do understand why. Since it is 100 miles round trip to a Polaris dealer even for required OEM I just order them online and they just show up. Sometimes the shipping is more than I like but never more than only the gas cost to make the drive. The online sources have the part diagrams online that also help when doing repairs. Our front prop U joints were the only ones showing wear and only one had lost one set of bearings but while it is off we are doing both. No hour or mile meter but being a 2002 I never expect we will have to do them again in the next 25 years due to our low speed use and will keep them greased. Seals and rubber parts will go bad with time.

Those Kubota's are great machines for your operation it sounds like. I think all this class of machines will last a long time if people do not use them like boats and keep them serviced.

/ RTV 900 Rear U joints #14  
Ok, so today I had to replace the U Joint again, this is the same one I have already replaced twice.

IN my previous post I stated that my machine had 375 hours, I Must have been smoking a U-Joint that day because today I looked and it has 613 hours and there is no way I have ran over 200 hours in the last 3 months. I would guess maybe 20 -30 hours at most.

Anyway.

For the first u joint (a few years ago) I replaced with a Kubota OEM @ $60 , a few days of waiting on the part to get in and 2 trips.

On the 2nd one (4 months ago) I used the replacement recommended above, (1-1557DL from autozone) @ $7-8? in stock at my local autozone. 1 trip.

I was pulling trees over to be cut up and split for firewood. (They were already cut down) I know I work machines pretty hard, but am surprised this same u joint broke so soon.

20140104_173545-1.jpg

I decided to try and find a NAPA replacement (Precision Brand) u joint. They are made in the USA and I have found NAPA products to be much better than the other Three auto parts stores stuff. (O'reilly, Advanced auto, and AutoZone) I may be wrong but sometimes it seems that their "lifetime Replacement parts" are more trouble than they are worth?

Ok So here is what I found... The NAPA PUJ 398 in stock @ $21.99 works perfect, EXCEPT the clips are the wrong ones, this u-joint only comes with the "Outside Clips"

20140104_173423-1.jpg

NWM.jpg

Here are 3 options.

1. Use your old clips, if you can retrieve them.

2. Try asking NAPA if they have any spare clips they can give you. I was able to talk to the store manager, and he was kind enough to give me some Spare Clips he had in the back, the RTV 900 takes the "inside clips" meaning the clips go on the inside of the yolk to keep the caps from slipping off.

3. Cut (Break) the little loops on the ends of the "outside clips" off, you can then use them the same way the "inside clips" work.

20140104_173743-1.jpg

In the above picture, the clip on the left is how they come in the package, the clip on the right is one I have cut the loops off of.

I just used a pair of pliers and bent the loop back and forth twice and it broke of, on the 2nd loop I used some dykes and cut it off.

I then clipped the modified clip around one of the caps of the old joint to see how it would fit, it looks to work perfect except it is a little loose compared to the others, but they do clip around the caps and should stay in place to keep the cap from slipping off which is the intended purpose.

Option 2 worked for me and I installed the joint today, I will update this if there is another problem in the future, other wise NO NEWS is GOOD NEWS if I don't update then it is working good.

Vance.

/ RTV 900 Rear U joints #15  
Vance,

I think my 900 is in need of rear u joints. There is a faint ticking coming from the rear in H range. How long did it take you the first time? I'm trying to decide if I want to do it myself or drop it off at the dealer and be done with it.

Thanks.

/ RTV 900 Rear U joints #16  
The joint I have replaced (twice) is the passenger rear, by the transmission, it is not that difficult if you have the correct tools.

I just raise the bed (no need to remove it) jack the back up, both wheels off the ground, makes it easier so you can turn the shaft from the transmission to reposition the joint. remove the wheel on the side you are working on..

Get a ball baring press (if you don't have one) from O'Reilly or AutoZone they both have a free tool rental program where they basically sell you the tool you need, then you return it when you are finished with it. $130 from O'Reilly, $100 from AutoZone, but it doesn't really matter because you are going to get all your money back anyway. (btw, this is a program they offer, I am not cheating them, just ask them about it)

For someone who is good and has experience with u joints, it is probably a 1-1.5 hour job maybe less, I'm not that good so it took me about 2-2.5 hours? but this is from start to finish, including gathering up all my tools, then having to go find my pliers etc...

I don't do ALL my own service, but in my opinion the trouble loading it up, taking it to the dealer, waiting a week for them to do it, then paying them who knows how much to fix it.. If you feel somewhat comfortable doing it your self I would defiantly recommend doing it yourself.

$22 from NAPA (or $9) from AutoZone, and a couple of hours of "TINKER" time.

It's definitely not like replacing the transmission gasket or anything like that.

/ RTV 900 Rear U joints #17  
Thanks for the reply and for providing the part numbers earlier.

I am fortunate that my dealer is only about 3 miles away and will come get it for no charge.

I have the mechanical ability but don't have a heated shop so I need to weigh my options.

comfort vs. cost. Lol

Thanks again!

/ RTV 900 Rear U joints #18  
No Problem, I Understand, it also depends on how much they will charge, how long they will have it, etc..

Also do you know which one needs replaced? If it is the one by the wheel, (not the transmission one) then it is much more difficult to get to because it is inside of a steal encasement, so you have to do more work to get to it.

you stated that it is making a faint ticking, if you can figure out which one is the culprit you will be ahead of the game.

Good Luck, and that is awesome living so close to the dealer, mine is about 25 miles away.

/ RTV 900 Rear U joints #19  
At 800 hours I figured I may as well do them all at once. Do you think that's overkill? They are all the originals.

With the wheels off the ground and turning them by hand I can't hear the ticking.

Heck, 25 miles is close compared to what some guys on here have to drive!

/ RTV 900 Rear U joints #20  
Vance,

I think my 900 is in need of rear u joints. There is a faint ticking coming from the rear in H range. How long did it take you the first time? I'm trying to decide if I want to do it myself or drop it off at the dealer and be done with it.

Thanks.

I am not sure whether the "loose axle nut" problem discussed in http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/atvs-utility-vehicles/272432-rtv-1140-rear-drive-issue.html would cause a ticking sound, but it wouldn't hurt to check yours.

Steve