3.73 or 4.10 rear end gears

/ 3.73 or 4.10 rear end gears #41  
Your rim size does not really relate to the size, or revolutions per mile, of the tread hitting the ground. Lots of 20" rims are mounted with low profile tires that are not much or any bigger than those on a 16" rim.

/ 3.73 or 4.10 rear end gears #42  
i love these threads. everyone has there opinions of how fast to drive, what towing heavy means, and what acceptable MPGs are. right now i have 3.55s in one truck, 3.73s in one truck, 4.10s in one truck and 4.30s in what truck. i like the 4.10s the best and they get better fuel economy in all conditions the way i drive.

/ 3.73 or 4.10 rear end gears
i love these threads. everyone has there opinions of how fast to drive, what towing heavy means, and what acceptable MPGs are. right now i have 3.55s in one truck, 3.73s in one truck, 4.10s in one truck and 4.30s in what truck. i like the 4.10s the best and they get better fuel economy in all conditions the way i drive.

Yes if you average out all the comments and comparisons it does seem that the 4.10s seem to be the best all around ratio.

/ 3.73 or 4.10 rear end gears #44  
Best fix, diesel with 3.73

/ 3.73 or 4.10 rear end gears #45  
My '12 F-450 4x4 pickup has 4.30 axle ratios, engine is turning about 2300 rpm's at 70 mph. The truck will get 16 mpg at interstate speeds. With the low first gear and power of the 6.7 diesel, I think it could easily get by with 4.10 axle ratios but I've been real pleased with the way it's equiped.

/ 3.73 or 4.10 rear end gears #46  

Well here is a fact instead of a opinion. If the gear ratio and tire size hit the peak torque curve of the engine at the speed the driver chooses you will get the best performance/mileage out of the combo. And like you said it all depends on the conditions!! CJ

/ 3.73 or 4.10 rear end gears #47  
If I had to put them chains on, I would need help... those 3/8" links add up to a ton...!!!!!! But, that's YOUR problem now...... Young kid like you can handle it .... Glad to find someone that wanted them. :)

Dang Jerry I am almost 50, I haven't been called young in a long time, Thanks!! CJ

/ 3.73 or 4.10 rear end gears #48  
i notice the diff in 3.73 vs 4.10 when pulling say 10-13k and hitting a steepish uphill grade. my f250 6.0psd will downshift.. my f350 7.3psd won't.

there is a sand / rock mine in my area i sometimes egress and it's exit ramp is darn steep.. hitting that and you have to put a lil foot in depending on what's holding you back ...

Different torque curve between the 6.0 and the 7.3. The bigger engine usually has a flatter curve and that helps with the shifting. The manufacturers have given up torque for horsepower just for the numbers game and to meet emissions. CJ

/ 3.73 or 4.10 rear end gears #49  
Different torque curve between the 6.0 and the 7.3. The bigger engine usually has a flatter curve and that helps with the shifting. The manufacturers have given up torque for horsepower just for the numbers game and to meet emissions. CJ

funny about the huge hp number differenc ethe 6.0 has over the 7.3 though. ;)

/ 3.73 or 4.10 rear end gears #50  
+

Yeah, your right, the 800 ft-lbs they are getting out of the new Cummins shows that.:rolleyes: