3.73 or 4.10 rear end gears

/ 3.73 or 4.10 rear end gears #52  
My 2012 2500 HD ECSB 4x4 has the 6.0L gas engine and 6 speed auto with 3.73 gears. The truck came stock with 17" alloy wheels and 245/75 tires. I specifically turned down lots of trucks with 4.10s as I was doing a lot of commuting with the truck and wanted to squeeze every mpg out of it that I could. Its a great ride and so smooth, but not easy on fuel. The best I can manage is about 15.5 mpgs unloaded on the highway. I've tracked every single fill-up since new. No change now with 48K miles.

It tows 7,000 lbs without a problem. Travels up mountain passes faster than I feel comfortable driving. But I'm use to typically underpowered vehicles. And I feel that a 10K trailer would be another story.

Due to the fuel economy, I bought a little beater car. The truck sits until I need it and I'm still very happy with it. But I would not buy another gas truck without the 4.10 gears. After a summer of towing the Bobcat around, I don't denounce the diesels anymore as well.

/ 3.73 or 4.10 rear end gears #53  
funny about the huge hp number differenc ethe 6.0 has over the 7.3 though. ;)

Not really, the tech on the 6.0 with the VVT turbo and different injectors gets more hp but if it is pushed you loose head gaskets. Funny the 6.0 in international trucks live a long life at lower HP ratings. But again it is a ### game with the MFG. CJ

/ 3.73 or 4.10 rear end gears #54  
+

Yeah, your right, the 800 ft-lbs they are getting out of the new Cummins shows that.:rolleyes:

The new Cummins and Ford are turning that trend around, I wonder why?? No replacement for displacement. And I didn't say all of the manufactures did I. Cummins did not let the mfg. dictate their engine design like International and Isuzu. Alloy heads on a diesel, now that there is a good idea, about like reducing the # of head bolts per cyl. Sure looked good on paper and that was about it!!! CJ

/ 3.73 or 4.10 rear end gears #55  
The new Cummins and Ford are turning that trend around, I wonder why?? No replacement for displacement. And I didn't say all of the manufactures did I. Cummins did not let the mfg. dictate their engine design like International and Isuzu. Alloy heads on a diesel, now that there is a good idea, about like reducing the # of head bolts per cyl. Sure looked good on paper and that was about it!!! CJ
Two things you forgot, the DMAX was designed by GM and Isuzu. The B/ISB was designed by a Company called Consolidated Diesel - JI Case & Cummins. Quit giving Cummins all the credit! Aluminum heads on a diesel are not a bad idea, they are ingenious! One of the best diesel engine designers and builders on the planet, VW, run Aluminum heads. The second thing... You sound like the typical uninformed or Blind Ford fanboy. All the headaches of the 6.0 are Ford problems. The VT365/MaxxForce 7 had ZERO of the issues the Ford 6.0 had. Ford is to blame, not Navistar. I really wish the likes of Mack or DD built a small displacement truck engine, Cummins would be paying a back seat to them!!

/ 3.73 or 4.10 rear end gears #56  
Two things you forgot, the DMAX was designed by GM and Isuzu. The B/ISB was designed by a Company called Consolidated Diesel - JI Case & Cummins. Quit giving Cummins all the credit! Aluminum heads on a diesel are not a bad idea, they are ingenious! One of the best diesel engine designers and builders on the planet, VW, run Aluminum heads. The second thing... You sound like the typical uninformed or Blind Ford fanboy. All the headaches of the 6.0 are Ford problems. The VT365/MaxxForce 7 had ZERO of the issues the Ford 6.0 had. Ford is to blame, not Navistar. I really wish the likes of Mack or DD built a small displacement truck engine, Cummins would be paying a back seat to them!!

Before you start throwing names around you should be sure about what you are saying. I have owned and speced way more GM's than anything else so I guess you would call me a GM guy or ex. I totally realise that GM had their fingers in the D max and my point is that is the problem along with Fords ideas in the 6.0 and the 6.4 and that is what I said in my posts if you would read them. I have to spec trucks out for my customers and that leaves a lot on my sholders as far as reliability and if the truck will do a job. Tell a customer 1 time that I can't put a hydraulic system on a 150k truck because the customer did not spec the DPF can on the back of the cab and it cannot be changed because of Government regs and they come back and ask Before they buy next time. In fact I just got off the phone with a customer trying to decide between the F550 and the medium duty International for their new service rigs. I know how the International's have been holding up with the allision but now I have to check on the new 550's with the manual trans and the regen crap. If either is a issue it is a no go with the 550. As far as Mack, I could not agree more, I was rebuilding the 283,300 and 350hp I 6's back in the 80's, we had them with 1million miles + on them and always got at least 700k on them in oilfield service. As far as engines in the last month I have sold 2 cummins power units and a bunch over the past year and all have been flawless, so Cummins would be my first pick with Mercedes and Man Diesel for the big stuff. I live in Michigan so we mess with marine stuff too. So I do understand that the manufacturers are the ones who messed these engines up! CJ

/ 3.73 or 4.10 rear end gears #57  
Our older fire engines(Ford 7/8xxx chassis) have CAT 3208T with Allison's. Some time back, was looking at specs. They varied widely with application. The marine motors were turning a lot more power than the fire/emergency motors. A couple of the older Engines have a lot of miles on them(at least for fire engines). They are still going strong...

Not really, the tech on the 6.0 with the VVT turbo and different injectors gets more hp but if it is pushed you loose head gaskets. Funny the 6.0 in international trucks live a long life at lower HP ratings. But again it is a ### game with the MFG. CJ

/ 3.73 or 4.10 rear end gears #58  
Our older fire engines(Ford 7/8xxx chassis) have CAT 3208T with Allison's. Some time back, was looking at specs. They varied widely with application. The marine motors were turning a lot more power than the fire/emergency motors. A couple of the older Engines have a lot of miles on them(at least for fire engines). They are still going strong...

Unlimited cooling with the marine engines sure helps, We put a 8v92 in a drilling rig that was set up for marine use, most truck engines were 425hp this one was in the upper 500 range and it was really hard to keep cool. Even had to put a seperate cooler in for the allision trans. Really liked the 3208T, we had 2 in f600 fords way back when. Never did much to em. The non turbo ones were pigs. CJ

/ 3.73 or 4.10 rear end gears #59  
For 2015 in 2500 & 3500 GM only offers 4.10 with 6.0 gas. 3.73 is only available with diesel. Regardless of tire size or 4x2 or 4x4. A little confirming on what I posted earlier.