Glow Plug Question

/ Glow Plug Question #1  

Underdog57

Veteran Member
Tractor
LS R4041H
Is there any harm to the glow plugs or the engine if I cycle the glow plugs 2 or 3 times before I start the engine when it is cold. I have been cycling them twice in this cold weather (15-20 degrees) and I think it really helps. The engine starts easily with not much smoke or knocking. I have lots of experience with Diesels but none with glow plugs. Thanks

/ Glow Plug Question #2  
I do it too, with my LS, my current Hustler ZTR, my previous Kioti, and my previous Ford commercial mower (when I snow plowed with it).

I also think it helps, and I can't imagine any reason why it would cause harm.

/ Glow Plug Question #3  
I have read that it shortens the life of the glow plugs, but like you I cycle them a couple of times when it is below 20deg

/ Glow Plug Question #4  
I cycle my glow plugs a couple of times when it is very cold...
It helps with the cranking...
Here in NC that is not too often...
I would think that it would shorten the life somewhat but I would not worry about it...
To me it is better to help in the starting when cold...

/ Glow Plug Question #5  
I tried two cycles on them this morning (30*F or a bit less) and did notice less smoke, and that it got to a smooth idle sooner.

/ Glow Plug Question #6  
I tried two cycles on them this morning (30*F or a bit less) and did notice less smoke, and that it got to a smooth idle sooner.

exactly what I found this morning when I cranked her up to plow the driveway, it was about 20 deg. Much smoother start with less smoke.

/ Glow Plug Question

I've heard that they are cheap & easy to replace??? Anybody know what they cost? Just curious are they easy to replace on the Mitsubishi? I don't anticipate ever having to cycle them more than twice, so I don't think I'll ever have a problem.

/ Glow Plug Question #8  
I have had minus 30degree C here the last couple of weeks - only cycle my 4041 once (have rad hose heater as well) but have found the semi-synthetic 15W40 a big difference ... no ping at all.

/ Glow Plug Question #9  
The manual for my Dodge Ram cummins diesel suggest 2-3 cycles in very cold conditions. Although it has a grid heater (no glow plugs) like my John Deere, so it is only heating the Intake air. I actually hold the glow plug (grid heater) on for a bit after the tractor starts to help heat the intake air in extreme cold conditions.