repaint + hooks

/ repaint + hooks #1  

varmint

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B8200, then a Kubota L3130 HST, now a Kubota L3400 HST
I just today finish painting my loader bucket... a 2004 LA723 loader, but the inside was pitted- I guess the last owner hauled manure? but otherwise in pretty good shape. I had needle scaled and wire brushed it, cleaned it up, and primed it with two part epoxy primer (I really like that stuff) and I figured the nice weather would last long enough to paint it. I used most of a quart of Kubota paint... it covered nicely when sprayed, but I had tried to brush some on something else, and wouldn't recommend brushing. In fact, the paint says to spray, not brush or roll.

As I had written on another's thread, the two tow hooks came from Harbor Freight, as did the inside D ring (not yet installed when I took the pics- it didn't get painted) and I put on the lift ring, something I have hauled around for many years, and I guess I figured why not- it might come in useful for something? Once the paint hardens, I have to start scraping it off, picking up some firewood from trees that came down this winter.

P1010498.JPGP1010496.JPGP1010499.JPG

/ repaint + hooks #3  
Nice work... prep is so important.

To each their own but personally I would want hooks that 'grab' chain, not 'slip'. Too often I find myself lifting with chains that are too long and grab hooks on the bucket are exactly what the doctor ordered.

/ repaint + hooks #4  
Nice work... prep is so important.

To each their own but personally I would want hooks that 'grab' chain, not 'slip'. Too often I find myself lifting with chains that are too long and grab hooks on the bucket are exactly what the doctor ordered.

I plan to replace the hook on my 855 for that very same reason. My chains are almost all 10ft and so do some funny loops etc to take up the slack. Replace 1 hook with 3 while I'm at it.

/ repaint + hooks
I thought about grab hooks, certainly, but went with the tow hooks for several reasons: my chains have grab hooks already, so I can adjust length if needed, I rarely use chains with my loader, and I didn't want to invest a lot of money- the $5 tow hooks didn't hurt. If I find I need the grab hooks, well, I will change to some. And, for some things I might do, the tow hooks seem like a better choice than grab hooks, anyway. We'll see...