Lack of professionalism in Sales: a rant

/ Lack of professionalism in Sales: a rant #11  
You made a lot of good points Eric. I have run across many tractor dealership salespersons that have never heard of TBN. They don't realize the trend of consumers communicating and doing their "homework" before they ever set foot in the dealership. These salespeople are ignorant of the modern world, and trying to do business like it was 30 years ago. Not all of them of course, but far too many.

/ Lack of professionalism in Sales: a rant #12  
it is like that in every industry... doesn't matter if tractors, to doctors, to other....

there simply way to much different type of products out there on the market, to know every single little detail about this or that. and because of pure amount of stuff that goes on... the actual folks that repair equipment, are a completely different staff from the parts department, and all that staff is also completely different than the sales people staff, there is simply no way to fully communicate this or that between every member at a dealership, and then a completely different person comes in the door (customers) each are different what they can afford, what there acreage is, were they live, how there land is shaped (hills, turns, etc..) along with customer operating experience and over all usage with different implements.

researching, learning, and just getting experience can be a big thing to customers / end users.

many times will denote Tractor Attachments And Skid Steer Attachments For Any Tractor Or Skid Steer in replies due extra time taking to write out descriptions and then videos to how to setup and use different implements is already right there for person to see without a bunch of extra googling / searching on internet.

/ Lack of professionalism in Sales: a rant #13  
I found a differentiation between auto sales people and agriculture sales people. This observation is made with a background in truck sales and not all encompassing but the best way I can describe it is most of the ag sales guys were like "zombies". Their motivation , enthusiasm, customer connection, etc. took a back seat to "when's lunch?". These guys work on salaries so no matter what they do they'll get paid? The impression I'm left with is there seems to be no difference if someone is in the showroom or not with seemingly little importance of closing a deal as if it's just too much work. It would be interesting to contemplate on how or why this attitude prevails but the perception does nothing for sales and it seems to go way beyond spiffs, spins, incentives and bonus chits. If none of those things were in place, I'd still be motivated by the transfer as you now have an opportunity to make someone very happy. For me, that was gratification in in own right. Being a truck salesman was just plain fun. The ag guys seem opposite of that.

/ Lack of professionalism in Sales: a rant #14  
Can I get a huge Amen for Eric on this one? :thumbsup:

The comment he quoted above is entirely different from what I'm going to relay now, but they both fit into the same mold....sales people at dealers that just don't get it.

On the morning of Monday 5/5 (this year) I called the dealer that I bought my LS from, and spoke to the head salesman (who handled my LS purchase). I told him that I had a buyer for my LS, and wanted a quote on a new Kioti NX5010 cab, but I needed it fairly quickly because I had to decide if the math was going to work based on the selling price of my LS. He seemed to understand that, and mentioned that there was an almost new DK50SE HSTC in the shop (50hrs or so) getting set up for a front plow, but the seller was considering moving up to something larger. I told him to get a number from the owner along with the number for the NX, and he assured me he'd call back in a day or so.

Late in the afternoon on Friday 5/9 I called the dealer back to see if they had any numbers for me. "Oh, he's left on vacation, what was he working on for you?" <sigh> I explained I was waiting on new tractor pricing. The receptionist said she would try to get a hold of the salesman on his cell. A couple of hours later the owner (his last name is on the sign out front) called to ask what I was interested in. I explained the possible used DK option, but clearly stated I wanted a number on a new NX. He promised to sort it out, invited me to stop by the next day (Sat), and said he'd have numbers for me by Monday morning (5/12).

I'm still waiting on that call 55 days later.

I bought a tractor from these clowns 16mos prior, had all sorts of discussions about things outside of tractors (like bringing in a custom ankle holster for the sales guy to check out), seemed to really hit it off, and they still can't find the time to give me a number? How does anybody stay in business like that?

I should have gotten a clue when I was comparing an LS to a Kioti, and I mentioned how the Kioti had 10"+ more FEL lift height, and they didn't believe me until they looked at the brochures in the rack....seriously, like I'm an idiot and can't read?

On the Saturday I was invited to stop by the clown show, I drove right past their place, and kept going for another hour until I got to Michigan Iron and Equipment. Bob was just as helpful in person as he was on the phone, let me run their new NX around the yard for a few minutes, answered all my questions, and made sure I understood the pricing, as well as option prices before I left.

I still haven't decided what I'm doing, but if I buy a new Kioti, I'm really tempted to drive through the parking lot of the clown show with it on the trailer on my way home from MI&E, and hope I get the chance to point out how they dropped the ball in a big way. I won't ever recommend them to anybody else....ever. If they can't return a call, they can't be trusted to do anything more complicated properly....period.

/ Lack of professionalism in Sales: a rant
Eric,

If you have visited 24 dealers in 2 months as you stated, it would appear you haven't defined your needs up front enough over the phone or web requests.

I get it: you're the guy who didn't believe me when I said, I'll pay cash and I'm buying in 45 days, please work up a quote on X and put your best foot forward as you're in a competitive situation. I was straight up honest, explaining, I'm looking to purchase a 60ish hp HST cab on tractor and new attachments.

While I was more than happy to allow myself to be taken through a sales process, by the time I called or showed up in person, thanks to the internet, I already knew about your product, and I knew about what options I thought I wanted as well as a competitive price range to be expected. All you needed to do was pay attention, and follow through. As Hiltz said, I cannot wait for stuff to get sold through Amazon. My Prime membership waits.

There are two rules in sales regardless of what is being sold. Rule one is people buy from people, rule two is rule one has always been and will likely remain. Returning calls, professionalism, knowing the products you sell, understand your customer needs, these are the characteristics a person has to have to sell to another person.

You're hired. When can you start?

I'm still waiting on that call 55 days later.

Isn't that something? Your situation on the phone would give the impression your you're a "hot lead" and the only thing holding back a sale is making the numbers work out for you. The qualifying question you should have been asked is where you need the numbers to come in at in order to make it work for you.

That question

1) sets your expectations for me the sales guy and lets me know right off the bat if you're reasonable or insane.
2) allows me to adjust unreasonable expectations, and in doing so, allows me to develop my relationship with you and build trust.
3) allows me to pushback on insane expectations, in that I can do insane deals from time to time, but I need more time in order to find and meet the other insane counterparty.

That said, never gloat unless first asked, but then destroy them.

"Eric, why'd you by X?"

"Because I spent an hour in your office and you never followed up with a pricing and my unanswered questions answered. Did you think you were entitled to my business?"

/ Lack of professionalism in Sales: a rant #18  
There are exceptions to every negative rant...

I have nothing but praise for the guys (and gals) at Dave's Tractor in Red Bluff, California.
Dave, Lee and Rob have been honest, knowledgeable, and willing to do most anything to make the customer happy!
Lee took the time to do a detailed demo on my future tractor, took the BH off and on, and answered all my questions.

I guess you could say this is a positive rant?

Not your usual dealership, by any means:thumbsup:

Around here there's one local company that owns several tractor dealerships all within an hour's drive of my house so I shopped all three of them and had negative experiences at two of them. At one store the salesman never cleared the tractor parts off the chair next to his desk so I could sit down, so I stood the whole time he worked up a quote. I could have easily asked to sit down but I waited to see how long it took him to offer me the chair. He never did, so I took the quote on paper and never went back. At the other store the salesman was new, so I couldn't hold too much against him, but he was too much salesman and not enough knowledgeable employee so I didn't buy from him either. I wound up at the most distant dealership from my house and bought from an experienced salesman who was pretty no-nonsense, which I generally like, and his price beat the other two by over $700. I wondered how that was possible since they all work for the same local owner. I was happy to get 0% for 72 months and have the tractor I'd been wanting for over 10 years, but the whole experience could have been better. I do hope dealerships across the country visit this site often and learn from what is posted here. Seems like that would be a smart move.

FWIW, my understanding is that a consolidation of dealers took place when OEMs began insisting that dealers carry more total inventory and or parts. Dealers banded together in order to accommodate OEM demands yet individual site locations can and often do continue to operate somewhat autonomously. Anyway, good on you for shopping for a deal and waiting until you found the right price and value add.

Last edited:
There are exceptions to every negative rant...

I have nothing but praise for the guys (and gals) at Dave's Tractor in Red Bluff, California.
Dave, Lee and Rob have been honest, knowledgeable, and willing to do most anything to make the customer happy!
Lee took the time to do a detailed demo on my future tractor, took the BH off and on, and answered all my questions.

I guess you could say this is a positive rant?

Not your usual dealership, by any means:thumbsup:

Yup, positive rant! What brands does Dave's Tractor carry and what is the single best reason why you purchased from Dave's tractor?

I bet it wasn't price, even if Dave's Tractor offered the best price. Am I wrong?

Last edited: