Ford F-450 with 6.4 diesel

/ Ford F-450 with 6.4 diesel
Hours are 3845 truck is ready for pickup. Hopefully this solves the problem for a while

/ Ford F-450 with 6.4 diesel #12  
Wow. I just hate reading these Ford diesel horror stories. After all the people who bought the 6.0 disaster and now this. Pretty frustrating to buy a diesel truck that you expect to run for several hundred thousand miles and end up with a shorter engine life than a gasser.

/ Ford F-450 with 6.4 diesel #13  
That's 29mph average. Not bad for a service vehicle.

Chris

/ Ford F-450 with 6.4 diesel #14  
Is it 6.7 they use now? I can't remember. Are they any better?

/ Ford F-450 with 6.4 diesel #15  
Hours are 3845 truck is ready for pickup. Hopefully this solves the problem for a while

Best of luck (said sincerely, not sarcastically).

Low enough hours, for service use. At 7k OCI, you'd be something like 240 hours avg. per oil change.

Other than Amsoil's OE diesel oil, they seem to spec something like 600 hours for OCI, so you should have been OK on that issue.

Modern trucks should have plenty of instrumented data available. I added a Scangauge II to my E350 as it has no Transmission Temp gauge stock - it was worth the price just for that use. I don't max tow with mine (yet), but I also have my Scangauge II programmed to continuously display Engine Oil Temperature - rarely is it over 200F.

If your F450 doesn't already display Engine Oil temperature, you might want to consider adding something to monitor EOT if you are hanging on to the truck. Scangauge II was Plug+Program only, no sensors or wiring to install.

Rgds, D.

/ Ford F-450 with 6.4 diesel #16  
From what I have read there were some early issues with the 6.7 but they were resolved rather quickly. This is Fords own design and built engine, and they are bettin the farm on it. Don't know anyone personally that has one, but posts on the net, folks are very happy with them.

Diesel Power magazine has an article about their 2nd version of it for 2015. Gonna lead the show with 440hp and 860lbs tq. That's a LOT of power. All this power even with all the emissions crap on them.

Speaking of emissions, I also read GM has just gotten a patent on an electric powered DPF that will eliminate the need for DEF. Time will tell on that one. I didn't think DEF had a long future. It hurts the REAL fuel mileage numbers too much.

/ Ford F-450 with 6.4 diesel #17  
From what I have read there were some early issues with the 6.7 but they were resolved rather quickly. This is Fords own design and built engine, and they are bettin the farm on it. Don't know anyone personally that has one, but posts on the net, folks are very happy with them.

Diesel Power magazine has an article about their 2nd version of it for 2015. Gonna lead the show with 440hp and 860lbs tq. That's a LOT of power. All this power even with all the emissions crap on them.

Speaking of emissions, I also read GM has just gotten a patent on an electric powered DPF that will eliminate the need for DEF. Time will tell on that one. I didn't think DEF had a long future. It hurts the REAL fuel mileage numbers too much.

I used to work on diesel engines in the late 90's, mainly Detroits, Cummins and Deere, while employed at a pile driving equipment rental company. I can honesty say emissions are at the heart of all the new diesels problems, starting with the Ford 6.0. These engines, at their core, are basically the same as their older predecessors. They just have a mountain of emission nonsense stacked on them that cause unnecessary cylinder temps and pressures that lead to catastrophic engine failure. Due to the high cost of repairs and ownership, I have long abandoned diesels on my farm except in tractors. I just do not tow enough to justify the cost risk. Further proof of the disgust with all the new emissions laws, many farmers in my area have abandoned the newer diesels and have scooped up any available decent 7.3 or pre 2005 Cummins they can get their hands on. I would do the same if I needed one.

/ Ford F-450 with 6.4 diesel #19  
Sorry to hear about your problems.
I was a mechanic at a ford dealer during the beginning of 6.0 and later a field service engineer for ford during the end of 6.0 and beginning of 6.4.
6.4 Is just a 6.0 with extra head bolts to fix head bolt problems, 2 turbos to eliminate variable vanes, and too big a water pump to make up for too small of one in 6.0.
There are reasons that ford sued international and made their own engine.
A piston can be killed by a bad spray pattern from an injector.

/ Ford F-450 with 6.4 diesel
There is no local source for bio here and we run almost exclusively Quarles fuel. Will adjust oil changes back to 5000 miles and see if that helps