DX 55 Control Valve Leak

/ DX 55 Control Valve Leak #1  

Ford850

Tractor
Case DX55, Ford 850
2007 Case IH DX55
Control valves for the FEL and the rear remotes don't hold the cylinders in place.

The loader bucket has always dropped slowly, but it is now more of a nuisance if I am mowing with the FEL on. It drops inches in minutes.
I've recently added top and tilt cylinders on the rear remotes. Those remotes have barely been used to this point. The tilt cylinder drops over an inch an hour. That causes issues with most rear implements when used for longer periods.
I've tested the rear cylinders by pulling the hoses and letting the rotary mower hang for 24 hours. The cylinders didn't budge. So it looks like the tractor's control valves are causing the leak down. Other than disconnecting hoses, what are my options to reduce the leak-down?

/ DX 55 Control Valve Leak #2  
All control valves will leak. Some less than others.

The leakage rate determines the usability of the hyd.

The leakage for warranty work is so many drops per min.

After the warranty, it is just how much you can accept.

You can't fix valves that are worn as they are a precision fit.

You can replace o-rings at the top and bottom of some valves, but that mainly is to prevent water, dirt, etc from getting into the valve.

After market and surplus valves are cheaper valves than OEM valves.

The leak down could also be caused by the cyl or a combination of both.

You could use shut off valves like needle or gate valves to stop some leakage as in valves, but the cyl must be good.

Last edited:
   / DX 55 Control Valve Leak #3  
The leak down could also be caused by the cyl or a combination of both.

Please explain this, other than pressure put on the valve through the cylinder because of pressure being put on the circuit, how is it that the cylinder causes the control valve to leak?? :confused:

The OP stated that the cylinder does not leak (move) when not connected to the valve.

/ DX 55 Control Valve Leak #4  
I am quite sure I can explain.

A cylinder under a load will apply pressure to the valve spool, and if the spool is worn, it will leak.

Valve spools leak more than you think.

Most loaders and 3pt will leak over time and the units will descend to the ground.

Could be cyl, or could just be the valve spool.

If it is a good cyl and you put a gate valve in the pressure side of the cyl, it should hold.

If you then release the gate valve and the unit descends, then you know the valve spool is worn.

/ DX 55 Control Valve Leak #5  
I am quite sure I can explain.

A cylinder under a load will apply pressure to the valve spool, and if the spool is worn, it will leak.

Valve spools leak more than you think.

Most loaders and 3pt will leak over time and the units will descend to the ground.

Could be cyl, or could just be the valve spool.

If it is a good cyl and you put a gate valve in the pressure side of the cyl, it should hold.

If you then release the gate valve and the unit descends, then you know the valve spool is worn.

If you know that you have a good cylinder, there is no reason to have the gate valve for testing, the valve is bad, plain and simple.

If a person wants to use a gate valve to lock things in place, that is one thing, but I didn't think that was what we were talking about.

I was under the impression that he wanted to fix, or at least do something with his control valves to help slow the leak down. :confused3:

You are correct though, a gate valve will STOP the leak down. Pretty inconvenient I would think.

Ford850, do your valves have the float function? Something else to check is to simply switch what valve controls what. I have seen this many times where one valve is much better than the other valve right next to it. Something to try, only takes a minute to switch the hoses around.

Something to think about trying. ;)

/ DX 55 Control Valve Leak #6  
If the valve spool is leaking internally, there is no fix or slow down, it is broke and it is up to the operator as to how much he can tolerate.

He is complaining about the leak down and wants options.

The only option to a fix is a new valve.

Sell him a new valve.

/ DX 55 Control Valve Leak
So there is no fix or way to improve a valve that 'leaks' more than normal. Mine might be normal. That's what I needed to know.
MtnViewRanch, I never thought of swapping hoses on the rear remotes. That's a good idea, and I'll try that. Thank you.
Otherwise I know I can pop the hoses for the long days of mowing, etc. It concerns me that the male hyd fitting covers don't stay on for long. When mowing, or working in dust, that makes for a thick glob of debris and dirt on the fittings. Maybe that's ok as long as they are wiped clean before reconnecting? I just bought a filter and hy-tran fluid for scheduled maintenance, and at over $400 I wouldn't want to shorten that schedule due to dirt in the system. Are there any male fitting covers that 'snap' on like the female covers do?
Thanks again for the responses.

/ DX 55 Control Valve Leak #8  
Depends on the type of valve and I know this first hand, 8 years ago I had 2 Prince valves. $375+ for each set of valves. These valves have O-rings at each end of the spool. These leaked straight out of the box. :eek: I replaced the O-rings, leakage fixed, valve no longer allowed the cylinders to drift. 2-3 weeks later, same thing occurred again, I did the same fix, 2nd fix again only lasted a few weeks. :mur: I then figured out what lip seals would fit, got those, problem permanently solved.

So please do not tell someone that it can't be fixed without knowing for sure what type of valve that they might have.

I have no idea how the Case valves are built, they may not have any soft seals at all. Something that the OP should check into before he gives up on his problem.

As far as the male caps, I can get you aluminum caps that have an o-ring seal and those are not going to fall off. You don't really need to worry about dirt getting in, oil is coming out. The fittings just need to be clean when plugged together. As far as un-plugging the hose to lock the cylinder, you only need to unplug the rod end hose, you do not need to unplug both hoses.

I hope that switching the hoses-control valve takes care of the problem or at least makes it better. ;)

/ DX 55 Control Valve Leak #9  
Put a small in the covers, like pin hole. Then they well not walk off.

/ DX 55 Control Valve Leak #10  
{So please do not tell someone that it can't be fixed without knowing for sure what type of valve that they might have. }

I apologize for making such a flat statement, but it is probably true.

I probably should have said fat chance on a worn spool if they even have o-rings..

You said your first o-rings leaked, so how many times do you attempt to do the o-ring thing.

So after some trial and error, you found some o-rings that would work.

Does that mean that he can find some o-rings that will work, or can you recommend some o-rings that will work.

These fix-a rounds just might work for you. Are you recommend the o-rings you found to fix his valve spool?

Maybe you should let Prince know that their o-ring kits don't work, but your o-rings does work.

I do work arounds myself, and if it works, I tell other people, andalso tell them you take your chance.