Impact screw drivers?

/ Impact screw drivers? #61  
The last project I used it on was building a multi-plateform set of steps for my 88-year-old mother to get down to our new drawbridge dock. :laughing:

10333300_10202131611551303_4265889636441907156_o.jpg

Now that looks like a place I would like to just sit and vegetate while the worms are drowning. Nice work. :thumbsup:

/ Impact screw drivers? #62  
For all the reasons listed above, impact driver over drill for driving screws, etc. No comparison. Drills are great for drilling, but use a driver for driving.

/ Impact screw drivers? #63  
So I went out and bought one. Makita LXDT01 - 18V lithium-ion. NOW, I see the difference. Using it to finish up a heavy work bench project in one of my out buildings. It does take a lot less energy - from both me and the unit - to obtain the same results in driving wood screws. I'm converted.

BTW - very nice set of stairs/landings etc. Eric, why do you call the dock a drawbridge dock?

/ Impact screw drivers? #64  
So I went out and bought one. Makita LXDT01 - 18V lithium-ion. NOW, I see the difference. Using it to finish up a heavy work bench project in one of my out buildings. It does take a lot less energy - from both me and the unit - to obtain the same results in driving wood screws. I'm converted.

BTW - very nice set of stairs/landings etc. Eric, why do you call the dock a drawbridge dock?

1526212_10203348193805099_5754886713142820403_n.jpg

I know! :thumbsup:

It is my solution to anticipating getting older, and less motivated to fiddle around getting the dock in and out.

/ Impact screw drivers? #65  
Good grief - talk about a pic being worth 1000 words!!! That is one fantastic - wild - solution to winter ice & docks. Thanks for the picture Eric.

/ Impact screw drivers? #66  
Did you fab the dock framework or was it a 'kit'? What did you use to anchor the pivot point on shore?
Where's the speedboat?

/ Impact screw drivers? #67  
The Oracle has spoken in an impactful way!:thumbsup::construction::hammer::broom:

/ Impact screw drivers? #68  
Based on a review, I bought a Hitachi 14.4 Li impact driver back in 2008. The review suggested that the 18V drivers (at the time remember) were more for the deck builder, etc. Prior to this, I had shied away from Hitachi because to me they look more like athletic shoes than serious tools.

Though I am not a contractor the drill has seen serious use and while not "for the deck builder", I have driven alot of three inch plus screws into SYP and PT wood. This tool is more often than not my go to tool for alot of jobs. Plus, I am still on the original set of batteries (knock on wood).

The only thing I would say about breakage or spin out is that with phillips heads, you need to use more pressure. Torx heads are best. Square heads seem to stick a bit when I go to pull the bit out of the screw but I still use them if I cannot get the torx in the size I want.

/ Impact screw drivers? #69  
I buy some cheap tools from HF but I'd never buy their impact driver. I think the 18v impact driver is a lifetime tool and deserves the investment. I have a Makita and love it.

/ Impact screw drivers? #70  
I have both impact drivers and drills. use the impact driver for screws. best thing since sliced bread. bosch.