Impact screw drivers?

/ Impact screw drivers? #71  
I buy some cheap tools from HF but I'd never buy their impact driver. I think the 18v impact driver is a lifetime tool and deserves the investment. I have a Makita and love it.

This a great point take a look at specs and compare before you buy.

In 12volts Lion impact drivers the Milwaukee 2462 is advertised @ 1000inlbs and 3000 impacts, the Bosch PS 41 is pretty similar @ 930 inlbs/3100 IPM's, the Hitachi 955/2700, Dewalt Max 950/3400, and the Makita DT 800/3000 IPM. ....now compare the #68568 12v driver from HF. It's listed at 384 inch lbs. max torque @ 2000 impacts. Not really in the same class of tool though I'm sure it has a place (like small mechanical assembly)

But the Rigid 12V is advertised at 1100inlbs/3000 IPM and the kit is $79 online right now. :shocked:

(Geeze did anybody even weigh in with a Rigid on this thread yet...I don't quite recall? :) )

I just used 12volt's as an example. I'm not pushing them but I will say again do really like the ones I have.

18V and above will always create waaay more torque than the smaller guys but not everyone always needs all that power...or speed either Max Rpm is another comparison point. Most impacts usually run close to a 1000 rpm's faster than the average drill/driver. Plus bigger tools weigh more even with compact batteries and usually always cost much more.

Obviously the new Brushless motors are the supposed to be the best technology yet.... does everybody need one? No I don't think so but they sure are sweet! :D

And BTW I'm not knocking HF either considering I have a 18V Ni cad 5 3/8 cordless circular saw from them that's still going with the original battery that came with it and has outlasted two similar 18V Makita batteries. Go figure! :confused:

/ Impact screw drivers? #72  
Yes, I gave copious detail of my liking them, especially because of their LIFETIME guarantee on everything, batteries, tool(s), chargers; backward compatibility of the chargers/batteries. Also their newest line is super small handprint, and very powerful. Read the thread...:confused3:

/ Impact screw drivers? #73  
This a great point take a look at specs and compare before you buy.

In 12volts Lion impact drivers the Milwaukee 2462 is advertised @ 1000inlbs and 3000 impacts, the Bosch PS 41 is pretty similar @ 930 inlbs/3100 IPM's, the Hitachi 955/2700, Dewalt Max 950/3400, and the Makita DT 800/3000 IPM. ....now compare the #68568 12v driver from HF. It's listed at 384 inch lbs. max torque @ 2000 impacts. Not really in the same class of tool though I'm sure it has a place (like small mechanical assembly)

But the Rigid 12V is advertised at 1100inlbs/3000 IPM and the kit is $79 online right now. :shocked:

(Geeze did anybody even weigh in with a Rigid on this thread yet...I don't quite recall? :) )

I just used 12volt's as an example. I'm not pushing them but I will say again do really like the ones I have.

18V and above will always create waaay more torque than the smaller guys but not everyone always needs all that power...or speed either Max Rpm is another comparison point. Most impacts usually run close to a 1000 rpm's faster than the average drill/driver. Plus bigger tools weigh more even with compact batteries and usually always cost much more.

Obviously the new Brushless motors are the supposed to be the best technology yet.... does everybody need one? No I don't think so but they sure are sweet! :D

And BTW I'm not knocking HF either considering I have a 18V Ni cad 5 3/8 cordless circular saw from them that's still going with the original battery that came with it and has outlasted two similar 18V Makita batteries. Go figure! :confused:

I have a small set of Bosch 12v drill/impact drivers that I use around the house. I keep the 18v Makita in the garage. Never had to fetch the Makita for typical projects inside the home. The 12v lithium tools (at least from Bosch) are the real deal. Would never need anything bigger for nut driving etc.

/ Impact screw drivers? #74  
Yes, I gave copious detail of my liking them, especially because of their LIFETIME guarantee on everything, batteries, tool(s), chargers; backward compatibility of the chargers/batteries. Also their newest line is super small handprint, and very powerful. Read the thread...:confused3:

Yup right in between the self tapping screws and the drawbridge dock :D

/ Impact screw drivers? #75  
I wonder of ridgid uses the same lifetime warranty policy as they do on their pipe wrenches.

I busted a lower jaw on a pipewrench a few years back. I had purchased stuff at more than one place as well as been given as gifts, and purchased for me at various places of employment. So returning to where I got it was impossible as I didn't know, nor had receipt. So I contacted them directly to claim on their lifetime warranty.

I was educated to the fact that their lifetime warranty didn't imply "my" lifetime or "forever". It ment the "lifetime" of the tool. Which may not be as long as my lifetime, and certainly not forever.

While not new, this wrench wasn't far from it. Almost no wear on the teeth of the lower jaw that was split in half. They wanted me to pay to ship it to them, and warranty would be at their discretion. If warrantable, they would fix and return but the initial shipping was still on me. If they deemed it not a valid warranty claim, I would have to pay to get the busted tool back.

After exchanging some nasty emails with pics of the tool, they finally made it right and sent me a new jaw. But certainly not like dealing with any other lifetime tool warranty. Harbor freight, craftsman, kobalt, etc.

While not lifetime, I like Milwaukee's 5 year warranty. A tool I bought used was returned, deemed unfixable, and a brand new one with new warranty shipped to me all on their dime.

/ Impact screw drivers? #76  
"Lifetime guarantee means lifetime of the tool"? And they say that with a straight face? That would be funny if it wasn't so pathetic.

/ Impact screw drivers? #77  
"Lifetime guarantee means lifetime of the tool"? And they say that with a straight face? That would be funny if it wasn't so pathetic.

Years ago I bought a Gerber Multiplier at Kmart. One day when I really should have made a trip to get a real wrench I two-handed the Multiplier in an effort to save some time. One jaw snapped off. Next trip to Kmart I stopped at the service desk and the girl asked if she could help me. Handing her the tool, I said "Sure. This has a lifetime warranty. It broke, and I ain't dead yet". She laughed and told me to go get a new one.

/ Impact screw drivers? #78  
No one mentioned it but I also have a Rockwell 3rill which is a screwdriver/drill/impact sort of hand tool. Again it was one of those tools I would never have bought for myself, but was a gift from the wife. The darn thing is pretty handy for smaller jobs. It is so small and lightweight with its little lithium battery pack that slips into the grip. On its impact setting it will drive some decent size screws, not like my 18V Ryobi but still a great experience. It is also very useful for assembly and dis-assembly of any kind of smaller machinery, with its impact function as long as you take its size and capability's into consideration. I usually grab the 3rill for most household projects. Up to 800 inch pounds or down to as low as 3 inch pounds with the adjustable clutch. All in all a very useful tool.

/ Impact screw drivers? #79  

As straight as one could via e-mail I guess.

I wished I had forwarded that e-mail to my personal account and saved it. I used a work e-mail at a past job, otherwise I would copy and post their reply.

/ Impact screw drivers? #80  
Impacts typically have the ability to generate more torque than a drill. (sink bigger screws or lags).

They can do this without breaking your wrist or yanking the drill out of your hand like a conventional drill. So thats a +1

They are typically a LOT easier on batteries than a drill. So you can sink more screws per charge +1

They are alot less likely to strip out the heads. Especially phillips screws due to the impacting +1

Impact drivers are usually lighter. +1

All in all a impact driver is made for sinking screws. A drill is made for drilling. I have a few M18 Fuel milwaukee's. Those impacts are 3-speed.

Couldn't have said it better myself, thanks LD1.