Polish your blade ?

/ Polish your blade ? #1  

WilliamTO-35

Silver Member
Tractor
1955 Ferguson TO-35
I have a 5 foot blade on the back of my Ferguson TO-35 , mounted to the 3 point hitch. I usually plow snow going forward with the blade at a sharp angle . Has anyone tried using a slippery blade surface to help slide the snow off of the blade ? Are blades sold with a slippery plastic covering for this purpose ? Using a teflon spray in the discharge chute of my walk behind snowblower makes such a big difference that I wondered if there's any such improvement using a blade ?

/ Polish your blade ? #2  
I have a 5 foot blade on the back of my Ferguson TO-35 , mounted to the 3 point hitch. I usually plow snow going forward with the blade at a sharp angle . Has anyone tried using a slippery blade surface to help slide the snow off of the blade ? Are blades sold with a slippery plastic covering for this purpose ? Using a teflon spray in the discharge chute of my walk behind snowblower makes such a big difference that I wondered if there's any such improvement using a blade ?

I tried using a can of PAM on my Frontier RB72 blade a few years back, the snow was the wet heavy stuff but spraying the blade did not seem to matter that much. Maybe I am wrong but I think kitchen sprays don't adhere well to metal. One of my neighbors uses a petroleum based compound on the underside of his steel zero turn mower deck to reduce grass build up and he swears it works well. Interesting to think about !! I hope your query gets more replies.

/ Polish your blade ? #3  
Try Rust-o-lum primer spray.

/ Polish your blade ? #4  
or clean and PAINT the blade

/ Polish your blade ? #5  
I use fluid film on my snow blade, and it works great. I sprayed it about 6 plows back and it's still pretty slick. I buy 5 gallons at a time since I spray my trucks underside and equipment. If its really bad I would paint it first then wax it.

/ Polish your blade ? #6  
HDPE* plastic sheet cut and shaped to fit a blade would be the ideal method.
It is really not all that costly and easy to work with and available in different thicknesses.
You would want to attach it from the cutting edge and on up.
If the cutting edge is a bolt on you could simply sandwich the HDPE between the edge and blade using longer bolts and small bolts at the top.

Fact is some plows are sold with HDPE moldboards.

As a simple test get a kids plastic sliding sheet (or 2or3) at a dollar store and give it a test.

*HDPE= high density polyethylene (often mistaken for Teflon)

/ Polish your blade ? #7  
HDPE* plastic sheet cut and shaped to fit a blade would be the ideal method.
It is really not all that costly and easy to work with and available in different thicknesses.
You would want to attach it from the cutting edge and on up.
If the cutting edge is a bolt on you could simply sandwich the HDPE between the edge and blade using longer bolts and small bolts at the top.

Fact is some plows are sold with HDPE moldboards.

As a simple test get a kids plastic sliding sheet (or 2or3) at a dollar store and give it a test.

*HDPE= high density polyethylene (often mistaken for Teflon)

I know what you refer to as regards the plastic sliding sheets and tried one a few years back but after bending it to a curve it cracked badly. On a flat blade it may have worked better. A few years back I tried using one of those horse stall mats sold by Tractor Supply, didn't drill it but used C-clamps to attach it to my blade attop and sides...it wasn't worth the bother. Had it worked better I might have drilled it and the blade to make it permanent.

/ Polish your blade ? #8  
Re HDPE;
I know the product comes in a variety of thicknesses starting at about 1/8"
City plow trucks us about 3/8".

I fully know that the kids sliders will not tough it out but suggested them as simply a one time test for cheap.

/ Polish your blade ? #9  
I'm wondering - what in the world makes the snow stick to the OP's rear blade in the first place. Painted or bare metal - the snow should slide off easily.

It think its better to determine the cause of snow sticking and correct that then apply a band-aide. Any "goop" applied to the blade will quickly wear off as you use the blade.

/ Polish your blade ? #10  
I'm wondering - what in the world makes the snow stick to the OP's rear blade in the first place. Painted or bare metal - the snow should slide off easily.

It think its better to determine the cause of snow sticking and correct that then apply a band-aide. Any "goop" applied to the blade will quickly wear off as you use the blade.

Respectfully disagree that snow always slides off....sometimes it will stick...go out and pack a snowball of wet heavy snow...now, why doesn't the snow slide apart as you pack it? Packing is packing, no matter what the snow sticks to.