New tractor transmission type

/ New tractor transmission type #1  

BogdanC

Tractor
Claas
I am looking into buying a compact tractor for an apple orchard and I have to decide on the options it will come with.

From your experience is the automatic transmission on a tractor a real must or it's not something absolutely necessary and I can settle with the mechanical one.
I am looking at a CLAAS tractor and it has optional Twinshift transmission. It can either be 24/24 or 24/12.
What are the practical differences between the two other than ease of use?

Thank you!

/ New tractor transmission type #2  
By automatic, I assume you are referring to the HST transmissions. I have one tractor (B26 Kubota) with HST and I love it for FEL work and when using the back hoe because I don't have to swivel the seat around to move it, I just use a long rod and push the go pedal. If it was gear drive, I would have to swivel the seat around and use clutch to put in gear so in this instance for this tractor, I wouldn't want any thing other than HST.
My other tractor (LS P7010) is straight gear drive with 20F/20 R transmission. I like straight gear drive for tilling and bush hogging pasture or any other ground engagement activities, but it is a little tiring of the left leg when doing FEL work.

Your choice would be with what is the major function going to be with your tractor. If you will be doing a lot of forward and reverse activities, then HST is the way to go.

/ New tractor transmission type #3  
I am looking into buying a compact tractor for an apple orchard and I have to decide on the options it will come with.

From your experience is the automatic transmission on a tractor a real must or it's not something absolutely necessary and I can settle with the mechanical one.
I am looking at a CLAAS tractor and it has optional Twinshift transmission. It can either be 24/24 or 24/12.
What are the practical differences between the two other than ease of use?

Thank you!

The only Claas tractors I know of are field tractor monsters in the 400hp and up range, in which case get the continual variable transmission!

CLAAS - | XERION 5000-4000 - Tractors

Personally, I like all automatic CVT or electronic HST tractors over all gear tractors all day every day no matter what you're doing. Better control and ease of use, especially on hills and slopes or in close quarters.

/ New tractor transmission type #4  
What other brands are available in Romiana?

Are there any Orchard models?

Orchard tractors from Google Images.
6862-td3b.jpg
AO Orchard.jpg

images.jpg
Orchard-Tractor.jpg

/ New tractor transmission type
Thank you all for the input.
Gary, yes, i was referring to a HST transmission.
EricTheOracle, I am referring to the Claas Nexos 240F, which is an orchard model.
Other orchard tractor manufacturers I've looked into are John Deere, New Holland, Fendt, Antonio Carraro, Deutz Fahr, Massey Fergusson, all of which have tractor dedicated for orchards and vineyards.

/ New tractor transmission type #6  
Thank you all for the input.
Gary, yes, i was referring to a HST transmission.
EricTheOracle, I am referring to the Claas Nexos 240F, which is an orchard model.
Other orchard tractor manufacturers I've looked into are John Deere, New Holland, Fendt, Antonio Carraro, Deutz Fahr, Massey Fergusson, all of which have tractor dedicated for orchards and vineyards.

Although, more expensive than gear transmissions, I think that the electronic hydrostatic transmissions with synced throttles are the way to go. That said, it looks like Claas doesn't offer a eHST transmission.

http://www.claas.co.uk/blueprint/se...a3d7a620e8b71866032b763a/197368-1-dataRaw.pdf

/ New tractor transmission type #7  
Eric- thanks for the link to Claas! The interactive animation of their tractor blew me away. One of the best pieces of animation work I have ever seen outside of film work. What a machine. I can only imagine what it would cost, but if you are farming 5000 acres, then go for it!

/ New tractor transmission type #8  
Eric- thanks for the link to Claas! The interactive animation of their tractor blew me away. One of the best pieces of animation work I have ever seen outside of film work. What a machine. I can only imagine what it would cost, but if you are farming 5000 acres, then go for it!

Yeah, if you need a tier IV final 500hp tractor that flows 118gpm, comes with a suspension cab that flips 180 degrees so that the operator is always facing forward, articulating axles or a trace version just to one-up the Case Quad guys offerings, its own air compressor for cleaning it off on top of the reversible engine fan for blowing out its own radiator, and a Mercedes-of-tractors price tag for all that engineering, Claas has got you covered! Sweet tractor. Too bad about the name.

CLAAS - | Cab - Cab + comfort

/ New tractor transmission type #9  
Hydrostatic transmissions have been used with success in heavy equipment from D11 cats down to lawn tractors for decades.
Clean oil, keep the cooling fins clean and don't beat the unit beyond it's design specs. Odds are it will last. With the exception of the dismal K46 used in the entry level, lowest cost possible lawn tractor market. About 200hrs and she's done.

/ New tractor transmission type #10  
Whatdaya mean, "too bad about the name??" A "Class" tractor says it all! Has a Mercedes engine, too, so the price tag seems right, whatever it is. $250,000? Just guessing.