Move 20ft ocean container on car trailer

/ Move 20ft ocean container on car trailer
Adding 400 lbs to the tongue makes 12% and 100lbs below rated capacity. That sounds good. Pretty sure 2 timbers is fine, 5200lbs container +400 lbs at front. What are you guys thinking with regard to distribution? If I put my van on the trailer (5500 lbs) I'd just roll it on. Setting it on 4 or 5 timbers would never occur to me.

I like the log rolling off option. Got logs!! I suppose a 2 ton floor jack can lift one end if the timbers are back from the corners.

It goes up against a cut bank, wonder if I can roll it on logs to the bank.

/ Move 20ft ocean container on car trailer #32  
I suggested more timbers to increase the contact patch thinking it would aid in stability for the long trip home. Maybe the wind wouldn't move it around as easily.

/ Move 20ft ocean container on car trailer #33  
Think they are $4,000 or so here in Colorado. We are renowned for our ocean ports though.

/ Move 20ft ocean container on car trailer #34  
Think they are $4,000 or so here in Colorado. We are renowned for our ocean ports though.

Ocean front Colorado property is crazy expensive also I hear. Tough place to live. :)

Interesting thread. Quite a few different ways to get this done. The idea of mounting temporary axles is clever. If a person were concerned about being legal, this may be a problem. Width issues, fenders, lights, brakes, licensing, etc. However if this was being dropped "at the end of the pavement" so to speak, then it really would not matter. Make some fork pocket mounted axles, attach a tongue, toss some weight in the front of the container for balance if needed and off you go.

Another option is to borrow/rent a deckover 10k rated trailer with a full width bed. That would make the trip a piece of cake, and the only challenge would be unloading. I like the idea of the timbers that get swung out wide and jacked up. Clever.

Such fun, let us know how you solved this fun problem.

/ Move 20ft ocean container on car trailer #35  
Get a guy that moves storage sheds to move it for you. They can easily drop it where you want it.

/ Move 20ft ocean container on car trailer #36  
Adding 400 lbs to the tongue makes 12% and 100lbs below rated capacity. That sounds good. Pretty sure 2 timbers is fine, 5200lbs container +400 lbs at front. What are you guys thinking with regard to distribution? <snip>.

I may have missed it BUT are you including the weight of chains, ropes, and timbers/logs in your calculations?

/ Move 20ft ocean container on car trailer #37  
IMG_20151216_143710197.jpgIMG_20151216_143727844.jpg
This is what they do with them around here, they make houses out of them.:D

/ Move 20ft ocean container on car trailer #38  
I had this portable moved about a thousand ft after buying from neighbor. It's 10x30'. They guy had a wrecker and a trailer with roll-back feature. It cost $450 for the move. Fourth pic is new location.

Attachments

• bldg (2).jpg
    bldg (2).jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 262
  • bldg.jpg
    bldg.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 192
  • bldga.jpg
    bldga.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 185
  • new locn.jpg
    new locn.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 226
   / Move 20ft ocean container on car trailer #39  
Seems timely...

12376231_929676353780636_3195689448546998099_n.jpg

/ Move 20ft ocean container on car trailer
I doubt most tiltbed movers want to drive out in the woods, pretty much gotta find the "right guy" to agree to that. But theres time. If its a good snow year the roads won't firm up until Apr or May. Gary I hope theres no DOT scale out in the woods I might be a tad over 5,700, maybe 5,725 :)

Interesting pic T, wonder what's the reason. Stopping just to make sure its not loaded 67,000 lbs? No mirrors? Whats the real reasons? This thread topic, being "20-ft on CAR TRAILER" could be informative and specific if it keeps on topic. Anyone know the real deal?

In my case I think I've settled on dropping the cans right at the forest road if I can get permission from the guy who lives there. I often see contractor eqpt staged there. Pretty sure I'm gonna build 'the fittings' because this gets the can right to the site. I can do that over winter, be ready in the springtime. Today's forecast is 12-24" snow.