Alyeska pipeline

/ Alyeska pipeline #1  

varmint

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B8200, then a Kubota L3130 HST, now a Kubota L3400 HST
Sort of off-topic, (it's oil, for sure) but I thought some might find this interesting. Our Russian friend who works for sustainability groups like the FSC was just in Alaska, and sent these photos from the pipeline.

10624609_10206114721602639_8765480896020310150_n[1].jpg 12821619_10206114722442660_7918636686914879161_n[1].jpg

Last edited:
   / Alyeska pipeline #2  
Yes, that's it. The "H" support structure has a system for keeping the ground frozen so the structure remains standing. At the very top of each leg is a "finned" unit that dissipates heat from the ground surrounding the structure. A system of piping and antifreeze brings heat from the ground to the finned units. Obviously, it doesn't have to work too hard in the winter.

Without this system an overland piping system would not work. A majority of the pipeline is built in the land of permafrost.

This pic may have been taken near Glenallen or Gulkana or on the road to Valdez where the pipeline is very near the main highway.

The actual pipe, at this point, is probably either 24" or maybe 30" in diameter. There are then several layers of protective wrap and a last layer of insulating material. This is all protected by the outer metal sheathing. All fact sheets will tell you the pipe is 48" in diameter but this includes all the wraps, insulation and outer sheathing.

Last edited:
   / Alyeska pipeline #3  
I've seen several shows about how difficult it was to build the pipeline due to the permafrost there. Hard when frozen, swamp when melted, and in some places, without a bottom. Truly one of the great engineering accomplishments of the time!!!!

When I was a kid we posed for pictures next to it, and then when I've gone hunting there, I saw it flying over it.

/ Alyeska pipeline #4  
Thanks to the welders out of Tulsa, OK.

/ Alyeska pipeline #5  
roadhunter,

NO KIDDING about all the good 'ol boys out of Oklahoma & Texas. We lived in Glenallen( locally known as - the arm pit of society) during the pipeline construction and after a while you would have thought we were in a different country. Ha,ha - that's where a lot of Sourdoughs learned what grits was.

/ Alyeska pipeline #6  
I did survey work to put that thing in years and years ago. Now they have a road and it's becoming downright civilized up there.
I wish my state paid me like Alaska does instead of me paying mine all the time.

Sort of off-topic, (it's oil, for sure) but I thought some might find this interesting. Our Russian friend who works for sustainability groups like the FSC was just in Alaska, and sent this photo from the pipeline.

View attachment 459702

/ Alyeska pipeline
Dickfoster, just yesterday I heard on the news that with the plummeting oil prices, due in part to our pals the Saudi's spending down their accumulated savings to fight our cheap oil, Alaska is in trouble financially, and instead of paying citizens, they are talking about income taxes or something similar to pay for their government services.

/ Alyeska pipeline #8  
Alaska has had almost a sole source of state income from the pipeline revenues since the day oil began flowing. For all this time the state legislators have been told to diversify but they like the government gravy line rather than irritating the public with even the smallest of taxes.

The general public in AK is in for a rude awakening when their "pipeline revenues" go up as smoke and state taxes take their place.

/ Alyeska pipeline #9  
Alaska has had almost a sole source of state income from the pipeline revenues since the day oil began flowing. For all this time the state legislators have been told to diversify but they like the government gravy line rather than irritating the public with even the smallest of taxes.

The general public in AK is in for a rude awakening when their "pipeline revenues" go up as smoke and state taxes take their place.

Also see Wyoming and Oklahoma. Same deal.

/ Alyeska pipeline #10  
roadhunter,

NO KIDDING about all the good 'ol boys out of Oklahoma & Texas. We lived in Glenallen( locally known as - the arm pit of society) during the pipeline construction and after a while you would have thought we were in a different country. Ha,ha - that's where a lot of Sourdoughs learned what grits was.

They came to Dallas recruiting when that thing was built....back in mid 80's as I vaguely recall. Pay was $30k/yr plus perks (I remember that part). I was ready to go and be a frontiersman. Wifey said....bye....have a nice time......maybe I'll be here when you get back and maybe not............guess what? You guessed it. I went!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Naw just kidding. In retrospect, I'm much better off not having gone. Oil jobs are high pay, hard work, and worst of all, here today and gone tomorrow. I stayed with my company and got a nice retirement.