What's a good Auto Scanner Tool / Code Reader?

/ What's a good Auto Scanner Tool / Code Reader? #11  
A possible unit to use if the vehicle is pre 1996 would be an Auto X Ray.
This is an actual Scan tool which can give live data, I use mine quite a bit, the only real negative is that
\it only covers GM Ford Chrysler and some Toyota rigs

I have owned the Auto XRay 4000 for many years, and it has worked well. Real-time data, codes, resetting the MIL, etc.
I used mine with Toyotas, BMWs, Dodges, and GMs.

I really want to try one of the BlueTooth dongles and interface with Windows (phone or desktop). I am kind
of surprised the cheaper units do not have realtime data. I have heard of hotrodders using dedicated smartphones
attached to the dash, displaying gauge graphics realtime.

/ What's a good Auto Scanner Tool / Code Reader? #12  
I have owned the Auto XRay 4000 for many years, and it has worked well. Real-time data, codes, resetting the MIL, etc.
I used mine with Toyotas, BMWs, Dodges, and GMs.

I really want to try one of the BlueTooth dongles and interface with Windows (phone or desktop). I am kind
of surprised the cheaper units do not have realtime data. I have heard of hotrodders using dedicated smartphones
attached to the dash, displaying gauge graphics realtime.

Come to think of it- my nephew uses a smart phone on the dash of his 2012 Cummins powered Ram to display some gauge functions.

Sounds like the least expensive way to get into live data capability, although won't be getting rid of the Auto X Ray yet . (they are just to handy):)

/ What's a good Auto Scanner Tool / Code Reader? #13  
I bought this:ScanTool 425801 OBDLink SX USB: Professional OBD-II Scan Tool for Windows
71QZZpcrbGL._SL1500_.jpg

I use my laptop (downloaded program from link provided. I connect my laptop to my Siverado and it gives me the error codes plus a bunch of other stuff. Works. 1st time doing this.

Amazon.com: ScanTool 42581 OBDLink SX USB: Professional OBD-II Scan Tool for Windows: Automotive