Tier 4, regen, light work, and idle question.

/ Tier 4, regen, light work, and idle question. #1  

namesray

Platinum Member
Tractor
kubota rtv900: kubota mx5200
I have a question reguarding the best way to dolight, stationary work with tractor. Here is my situation I am up against.

I do a lot of firewood. My method for blocking up the fire wood on the landing is to use the tractor/loader forks to lift the log off the log pile and over to the area I want the blocks piled.

I leave the log on the forks to cut each block off. The time it takes to block up each log is between 5 to 10 minutes. While I am doing this, there sits the tractor running.

So to my question. What is the best option to do with the tractor/engine while I am off blocking up each log. Tractor is a kubota mx5200 gear with tier 4 engine with regen system.

I have been setting the throttle up at around 2200 rpms when I go cut to keep exhaust temps up so the engine wont soot up and require frequent regens. Is there a better option that is best for the engine/starter/dpf regen system?

/ Tier 4, regen, light work, and idle question. #2  
I have a question reguarding the best way to dolight, stationary work with tractor. Here is my situation I am up against.

I do a lot of firewood. My method for blocking up the fire wood on the landing is to use the tractor/loader forks to lift the log off the log pile and over to the area I want the blocks piled.

I leave the log on the forks to cut each block off. The time it takes to block up each log is between 5 to 10 minutes. While I am doing this, there sits the tractor running.

So to my question. What is the best option to do with the tractor/engine while I am off blocking up each log. Tractor is a kubota mx5200 gear with tier 4 engine with regen system.

I have been setting the throttle up at around 2200 rpms when I go cut to keep exhaust temps up so the engine wont soot up and require frequent regens. Is there a better option that is best for the engine/starter/dpf regen system?

Run it wide open when you are traveling, never let it idle (keep it at 2200 like you say when it sets). Anytime you are driving, just run it wide open.

/ Tier 4, regen, light work, and idle question. #3  
I have the same tractor. I also need to leave mine running while I'm not on it. I use it in a poultry operation and it's how I deal with my composting. So I will go walk birds and tractor is running. About 30-40 minutes and I move it to the other set of barns and 30-40 minutes there. This last winter I left mine idling while I was in the barns. Summer I shutdown and restart. Don't remember exactly but I was over 20 hours between regens because it was just idling. Seems to regen after about a tank of fuel is burned regardless of what RPM its run at. I left mine idling because it was cold out and I wanted to keep the transmission oil moving. When it came time to regenerate it had the increase RPM light on so I did. Went back inside and walked more birds got on and took care of my chores and the light went off when cycle was done.

I've got some task that need the engine running about 1800 RPM and have not had any trouble with a regen. If I've been running at 1800 for 20-30 minutes it won't even ask to increase RPM's.

/ Tier 4, regen, light work, and idle question. #4  
I cannot see running tractors wide open to avoid soot. If I did this on our Jetta, we'd be doing 90 mph pretty quickly.

Most of the time, the Jetta's 2.0 liter turbo diesel is just loafing around. You hardly press the pedal to make it go. It's running most of the time at around 1500 rpm where the torque starts in at maximum.

Yeah, it does some burnoffs, sometimes ending up while in our garage. Normal.

Ralph

/ Tier 4, regen, light work, and idle question. #5  
5 to 10 minutes is much too long to let it sit idling. I shut mine down if idling much more than about 20 seconds. Safer. You've got the engine and gear stuff to help stop it in addition to having the parking brake on.

Ralph