Tip for handling filled tires alone please

/ Tip for handling filled tires alone please #51  
The salesman made it look easy :)
I've found the more you use the quick attachments the easier it gets

Since you like the practice, I'll let you come here and R&R mine. LOL

/ Tip for handling filled tires alone please
i had done many heavy industrial tires. on my backhoe i have now which is bigger than a case 580, i put a piece of plywood under the tire and shim the plywood up until the plywood supported the tire. take off lug nuts and wiggle tire loose and then wiggle tire off far enough to roll some place to keep standing up. to reinstall, roll tire back on plywood and shim back up to heigh. for shims i use scrap lumber some cut to wedge shape or as needed. to get the tire to rotate in position use grease on the plywood and slide as needed on the grease. i have done this by myself, but easier with 2 people.

Well explained. Thank you!

/ Tip for handling filled tires alone please #53  
Would reducing the air pressure, help or hurt?

I just got some spacers that I need to install...

/ Tip for handling filled tires alone please #54  
Would reducing the air pressure, help or hurt? I just got some spacers that I need to install...
I would think that would make them harder to handle. Air doesn't weigh much.

/ Tip for handling filled tires alone please #55  
All good advice and well taken. Will be interesting to see how hard it is to spin the HST transaxle exen in neutral (especially without the wheel for mechanical advantage)
I'm guessing pretty easy.

/ Tip for handling filled tires alone please #56  
I would think that would make them harder to handle. Air doesn't weigh much.
Thinking they may sit upright but yea, I can see trying to wiggle them the rubber would just "give" instead of actually move.

/ Tip for handling filled tires alone please #57  
I think I understand what you mean by "lean" but can you expound?
Sure. ... Imagine you have a tire in the open and you want to pick it up and have it hang with the bottom shifted out of line with the top. To do this you fashion the lift point so it is off center on the tire. I like to use the cam lock motorcycle tie downs from HF. Theyre easily strong enuf if you double them up. They adjust easily for setup and you dont have to worry about banging things up as with chain. Also, Im not sure theres room on an R4 rim to pass a chain around the tire.

,,,Anyway, the hoist boom will be above the fender and the tire should be resting on the floor but not supporting any of the tractors weight. With the tire on the tractor you want to loop around the 12 oclock position with straps or chain such that as the slip hook cinches the loop tight the hook is toward the inward/tractor side of the tread centerline. The lift is then effectively happening at that point and the top of the tire will try to angle outward as you apply some lift. Dont take the last bolt out until you start tensioning the lift. Be sure your hook/s are secure because when you remove the bolt the strap/chain may slacken and then re tension as the tire tips outward clear of the fender to where the boom stops it. Then you just raise the boom to lift it and then roll the hoist where you want to park the tire.

/ Tip for handling filled tires alone please
So I went out and looked and the tire center is farther out than I thought. Placing the boom from the engine hoist should not be an issue.
Thanks for the explanation though Spyder.

1460030978397.jpg

/ Tip for handling filled tires alone please #59  
Sure. ... Imagine you have a tire in the open and you want to pick it up and have it hang with the bottom shifted out of line with the top. To do this you fashion the lift point so it is off center on the tire. I like to use the cam lock motorcycle tie downs from HF. Theyre easily strong enuf if you double them up. They adjust easily for setup and you dont have to worry about banging things up as with chain. Also, Im not sure theres room on an R4 rim to pass a chain around the tire.

,,,Anyway, the hoist boom will be above the fender and the tire should be resting on the floor but not supporting any of the tractors weight. With the tire on the tractor you want to loop around the 12 oclock position with straps or chain such that as the slip hook cinches the loop tight the hook is toward the inward/tractor side of the tread centerline. The lift is then effectively happening at that point and the top of the tire will try to angle outward as you apply some lift. Dont take the last bolt out until you start tensioning the lift. Be sure your hook/s are secure because when you remove the bolt the strap/chain may slacken and then re tension as the tire tips outward clear of the fender to where the boom stops it. Then you just raise the boom to lift it and then roll the hoist where you want to park the tire.

Yep, that's the way you do it. I was wondering if you could jack it up high enough for a wheel dolly & then run a ratchet strap around it once it's on the dolly:confused3:

Ronnie