Towing HEAVY

/ Towing HEAVY #21  
   / Towing HEAVY #22  
This is what we use. 2011 IH 4400 with a 20,000 lb rear axle, air brake, air ride, air suspended cab. It is still a rough sob to ride in and I would not be happy using it for daily duties. It was $90K new plus the custom deck. If you're going to use a gooseneck or a fifth wheel over a flat deck you will want to order a low profile unit. ( like how you see rollbacks configured. )

I would also stay far away from any IH engine.... We have had three major repairs in 30,000 miles of easy use. Two of which were not under warranty.

The tractor on the trailer can weigh up to 19,000 lbs depending on how it is configured.

Vibe on the trailer.jpg

This is what it replaced. 2003 F-550 with the max towing option, which I believe was 30,000 lbs GCWR at the time. In this configuration the tractor was only 13,000 lbs. The truck pulled the weight fine, but the trailer brakes were always problematic. I got pushed through an intersection in the rain on one occasion...

DSC04541_rs.jpg

/ Towing HEAVY
This is what we use. 2011 IH 4400 with a 20,000 lb rear axle, air brake, air ride, air suspended cab. It is still a rough sob to ride in and I would not be happy using it for daily duties. It was $90K new plus the custom deck. If you're going to use a gooseneck or a fifth wheel over a flat deck you will want to order a low profile unit. ( like how you see rollbacks configured. )

I would also stay far away from any IH engine.... We have had three major repairs in 30,000 miles of easy use. Two of which were not under warranty.

The tractor on the trailer can weigh up to 19,000 lbs depending on how it is configured.

View attachment 474616

This is what it replaced. 2003 F-550 with the max towing option, which I believe was 30,000 lbs GCWR at the time. In this configuration the tractor was only 13,000 lbs. The truck pulled the weight fine, but the trailer brakes were always problematic. I got pushed through an intersection in the rain on one occasion...

View attachment 474622

I like that 4400 and will be hauling something very similar except on rubber tracks not a buggy mount.

/ Towing HEAVY #25  
Nope it can tow it. The 3500 dually with 4.10 gears and the Aisin transmission is rated to tow 30,100 in a crew cab 4x4 mega cab. 216 Ram 35 Dually Review: Towing 3, Pounds with "Only" 9 lb-ft Torque - YouTube

Yes they do exist. But they are a heavier duty version of the 3500 and tow 6000+ pounds more than the regular diesel version. I wonder how much this option costs for the 6.7HO diesel. I don't expect many will be built. They will be like the Ford F-150's that can tow 12000 lbs. They exist on paper and is an option but are impossible to find.

/ Towing HEAVY
Yes they do exist. But they are a heavier duty version of the 3500 and tow 6000+ pounds more than the regular diesel version. I wonder how much this option costs for the 6.7HO diesel. I don't expect many will be built. They will be like the Ford F-150's that can tow 12000 lbs. They exist on paper and is an option but are impossible to find.

The main difference is the Aisan transmission. The rest of the truck is mostly the same. I bought a new GMC dually last fall and was considering the Ram with the Aisin and 30k capacity but none of the dealers in a fifty mile radius had one on the lot. I could have ordered one but my old truck was wrecked and I didn't have time to wait. I don't know why they don't stock more of them most the guys buying Ram dual lies intend to tow heavy.

/ Towing HEAVY #27  

View attachment 474616

View attachment 474622

Nice rig...
I'm sure that is does well...

For the original post, most any truck in a medium duty (6K-7K) class with air brakes should get be sufficient...
Cost will be a major consideration...
Heavier equipment like that is not inexpensive...

/ Towing HEAVY #28  
That's why you order. I have owned the heavier F150, and F350. Takes about 6 weeks.

Chris