Firefighters forced to wait for 100K ammo rounds to explode

/ Firefighters forced to wait for 100K ammo rounds to explode #21  
An elderly couple (now deceased) that I knew, had a mishap in their absolutely impeccable home. She had thrown a purse size hairspray container in the waste basket. He put the contents of the waste basket in the fireplace. It blew the doors off the fireplace and showered the living room furntiture and carpet with burning embers!

/ Firefighters forced to wait for 100K ammo rounds to explode #22  
An elderly couple (now deceased) that I know, had a mishap in their absolutely impeccable home. She had thrown a purse size hairspray container in the waste basket. He put the contents of the waste basket in the fireplace. It blew the doors off and showered the living room furntiture and carpet with burning embers!

As a kid I accidently burned an EMPTY one in a trash/burn barrel. When that thing went airborne (not long after me lighting the fire) I was darn glad I was not too close to the fire. It went up into the air probably 50 feet at a high rate of speed and scared the crap out me. I advised my sister that was the last hairspray can to go into the paper trash.:mad:

/ Firefighters forced to wait for 100K ammo rounds to explode #23  
A full hairspray can in a fireplace might blow that end of the house out. I don't know for sure and I don't want to find out.

/ Firefighters forced to wait for 100K ammo rounds to explode #24  
I guess none of the last 9 posters read my post number 8.................:confused:

I think there could possibly be a part to the story your son left out...

/ Firefighters forced to wait for 100K ammo rounds to explode #25  
I guess none of the last 9 posters read my post number 8.................:confused:

I read it. What the consensus is, is that if a round goes off, it's generally surrounded by 2 layers of sheet rock. The Sheetrock we all know is much more dense than your sons finger. Also, with bunker gear you have 3 layers of protection. Granted more could be better but in my experience I am not overly cautious about myself or my guys

Brett

/ Firefighters forced to wait for 100K ammo rounds to explode #26  
I think there could possibly be a part to the story your son left out...

No, he was a teen at the time and several family members were there.

/ Firefighters forced to wait for 100K ammo rounds to explode #27  
Last edited:
   / Firefighters forced to wait for 100K ammo rounds to explode #28  
I have no doubt that if the round hit my son in the chest and missed a rib, it could have killed him. Even hitting a rib could have been very serious.

i want to be no where near rounds cooking off and if I have a fire in my house, the local FD will be told I have ammo in the house (and lots of it :) ).

/ Firefighters forced to wait for 100K ammo rounds to explode #29  
Why was a five year old thread woken up?