Honda pioneer 1000-3 eps

/ Honda pioneer 1000-3 eps #1  

johnk

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota GST Grand L3130 w/ 723 loader, Ags
Does anyone own one of these? I was thinking of selling my Polaris ranger 500 efi and getting one of these as a step up. I need downhill braking, and I like the load capacity of the Honda in the specs. I had many Hondas and never had a problem with them. For that matter my Polaris Rancher 500 efi has also been trouble free.

/ Honda pioneer 1000-3 eps #2  
I have a Pioneer 1000-5. I really like everything about it except for a few small things It can get pretty hot under your butt. I did get a heat shield and place under seat and helped a lot. Also, even in low range 1st gear it idles along about 3mph. It's really not bad but I'd prefer 1mph. You can get it to go less than 3 mph but you risk slipping the clutch and that's something you don't want.

It has good engine braking going down hill. I've pulled a trailer with 2 ton of hay on it and it pulled it great.

/ Honda pioneer 1000-3 eps #3  
I don't own one, but seriously considered buying one because I also need downhill engine braking. The lack of a parking brake removed it from further consideration. I frequently park on some degree of slope and need a parking brake. I read of many complaints about the gear shifter getting stuck in park when on a slope, although that was usually a Polaris, since the Honda was so new. The RTV X-1120D I ended up getting also has excellent engine braking with its HST. It will hold 1mph on a 25 degree slope without touching the brake pedal.

/ Honda pioneer 1000-3 eps #4  
I have the 1000-5 and so far I really like it. I use it to haul a firewood and really load it up without any issues. I'm sure I well exceeded the max recommended payload as well as towing capacity fairly regularly. I agree with rmk700 about the heat, but if you read any of the UTV forums, almost every side by side out there has some sort of heat in the cab issue. Pretty soon here that extra heat will be welcome.

What are your uses for it going to be? I needed a 90% work machine with some occasional play in the form of rides for the grand kids, for which this is nearly perfect. Seats 5 without being the length of a small semi and then fold down the seats for hauling. I have a drop in bed liner for when I haul just to keep dirt and rocks from dropping down into the folded seat area. Not much of a load in the pic but I very seldom think to take pics when I'm working,

IMG_0723.JPG

/ Honda pioneer 1000-3 eps #5  
Does anyone own one of these? I was thinking of selling my Polaris ranger 500 efi and getting one of these as a step up. I need downhill braking, and I like the load capacity of the Honda in the specs. I had many Hondas and never had a problem with them. For that matter my Polaris Rancher 500 efi has also been trouble free.

Do you have a midsize 500? I have a 400 HO and had planned to get a Pioneer 1000. But my 400 is the perfect size, runs great and paid for! So I canceled my 1000 plans. (0:

/ Honda pioneer 1000-3 eps #6  
I read on another forum several comments about transmission failures with Honda. Before buying, be sure to google what you can find on it to see if it's a real issue, or not.

/ Honda pioneer 1000-3 eps
I am doing my homework on the Honda now. I had a 450 foreman and a rubicon atv that were trouble free but moved up to the Polaris UTV as the need arose. I would like to go back to Honda but I will search a little deeper on the issues of the UTV.

/ Honda pioneer 1000-3 eps
Do you have a midsize 500? I have a 400 HO and had planned to get a Pioneer 1000. But my 400 is the perfect size, runs great and paid for! So I canceled my 1000 plans. (0:
Yes it is the midsize Polaris Rancher 500 efi. I just wish it had engine braking as my hills are very steep.

/ Honda pioneer 1000-3 eps #9  
Yes it is the midsize Polaris Rancher 500 efi. I just wish it had engine braking as my hills are very steep.

Yeah I hear ya on the engine braking. Do you do the two foot method where you put left foot on brake and keep engine above idle with right foot when descending hills? In low I have pretty good engine braking using this method.

/ Honda pioneer 1000-3 eps #10  
I am doing my homework on the Honda now. I had a 450 foreman and a rubicon atv that were trouble free but moved up to the Polaris UTV as the need arose. I would like to go back to Honda but I will search a little deeper on the issues of the UTV.

I have a Honda 450 Foreman. Really like it. Rides like a buggy but is rock solid and pulls like a mule! I've been toying with the idea of replacing it with a Honda Pioneer 500 someday. They are pretty slick when equipped with larger tires.... Would work well with my Moose snow plow.