electric in my barn.....need help

/ electric in my barn.....need help #1  

Maxcustody

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 3032e
Sorry if this is the wrong area....... I have a 30x50 barn and I am going to have electric run to it. I would like to do it right the first time. Here is my list.
-10 outlets, 5 on each sidewall
-4 more outlets, 2 on each end
-2 more outlets in the ceiling, one for each overhead 12 foot door
- light switch on both ends of the barn for overhead lights
- 2 outside floods, one on each end of the barn, with switches.
-separate panel in the barn
- 220 outlet for welder, etc.
- still researching best overhead lights

Again, I want to do it right up front.....am I missing anything? Thanks

20160925_115102.jpeg
IMG_20160911_133111.jpeg

/ electric in my barn.....need help #2  
Firstly, is this also a workshop, and how big is your primary service? Second, make each outlet a 4plex on the walls, you can never have too many outlets, and make sure each outlet is on a 20A breaker with 12AWG and T slot receptacles. If you run 12/3 AWG you can split the receptacles at each station. As for lighting, go LED, you will thank me later when you get your first utility bill.
On my shop, 30x60, there are 3 LED floods (Dusk to dawn, 25W, 2060 Lumens), one for the overhead and two on the north side over my storage area and C Can.They are very bright and light up the yard well. What interior finishing is in the barn, ( painted, tin or bare wood) this will change the amount of light fixtures you will require. Are you going to be doing the electrical, or hiring it out, there are significant cost savings if you can do the labour, and then have the electrician do the final hook up and inspection.
ALWAYS follow local codes and observe all safety precautions, ELECTRICITY CAN KILL YOU!

/ electric in my barn.....need help #3  
I have several outlets that are connected to a switch at the door.
1) an outlet for the radio (I have a big old stereo,, and speakers)
2) an outlet for my 48" fan
3) an outlet for the light on the drill press.
4) etc,,etc,,

It is really nice to be able to turn those on at the door, rather than walking all over the shop,,,,

/ electric in my barn.....need help #4  
Some have said to account for expansive soil in Texas... in other words use a flex conduit where service enters the shop if going underground...

A nice panel in the shop is also good down the road it you want to add circuits...

Maybe toss in an extra conduit if going underground for telephone, alarm, closed circuit... etc.

I love the Costco LED 4' lamps... especially the retrofit lamps for existing fixtures... I had four 3 bulb fixtures that are now 2 bulb... great light and cut consumption significantly...

/ electric in my barn.....need help #5  
A nice panel in the shop is also good down the road it you want to add circuits...

Maybe toss in an extra conduit if going underground for telephone, alarm, closed circuit... etc.

My panel only is using 25% of the available spaces,,, so I have plenty of room for expansion.

When I poured my concrete, I added conduit for propane, water, cable TV,,,
and routing electricity to various corners of the shop.

It was nice to have some of the wiring under the slab, rather than all above.

Heck, I even roughed in plumbing for a complete bathroom. I may never get that far,,, but, it is there.

/ electric in my barn.....need help
Firstly, is this also a workshop, and how big is your primary service? Second, make each outlet a 4plex on the walls, you can never have too many outlets, and make sure each outlet is on a 20A breaker with 12AWG and T slot receptacles. If you run 12/3 AWG you can split the receptacles at each station. As for lighting, go LED, you will thank me later when you get your first utility bill.
On my shop, 30x60, there are 3 LED floods (Dusk to dawn, 25W, 2060 Lumens), one for the overhead and two on the north side over my storage area and C Can.They are very bright and light up the yard well. What interior finishing is in the barn, ( painted, tin or bare wood) this will change the amount of light fixtures you will require. Are you going to be doing the electrical, or hiring it out, there are significant cost savings if you can do the labour, and then have the electrician do the final hook up and inspection.
ALWAYS follow local codes and observe all safety precautions, ELECTRICITY CAN KILL YOU!

It will be a small workshop, but mostly storage for motorcycle, ATV'S and tractor w/ implements. I am having an electrician do the work, he is starting today....you are right electricity kills and I do not know anything about it. Already doing 4 plex. LED is the way to go, thanks. Interior is wood with insulation. Thanks for all the suggestions....

I have several outlets that are connected to a switch at the door.
1) an outlet for the radio (I have a big old stereo,, and speakers)
2) an outlet for my 48" fan
3) an outlet for the light on the drill press.
4) etc,,etc,,

It is really nice to be able to turn those on at the door, rather than walking all over the shop,,,,

Thanks, I will look into having this done.

Some have said to account for expansive soil in Texas... in other words use a flex conduit where service enters the shop if going underground...

I love the Costco LED 4' lamps... especially the retrofit lamps for existing fixtures... I had four 3 bulb fixtures that are now 2 bulb... great light and cut consumption significantly...

The guy doing the work has been an electrician for 50 years. He is very familiar with the area, which is good. A separate panel is being put in. I will check out the Costco LED......THANKS

My panel only is using 25% of the available spaces,,, so I have plenty of room for expansion.

When I poured my concrete, I added conduit for propane, water, cable TV,,,
and routing electricity to various corners of the shop.

It was nice to have some of the wiring under the slab, rather than all above.

Heck, I even roughed in plumbing for a complete bathroom. I may never get that far,,, but, it is there.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I already have the slab, so I have to work around that.....he plans to leave room for expansion.

/ electric in my barn.....need help #10  
I added exterior receptacles by each roll up door. That way I can have power for battery tenders, etc. without stringing extension cords all over the place.

SimS