electric in my barn.....need help

/ electric in my barn.....need help #71  
My shop was built in 1959... and the home I lived in before is 1922 with a single 30 amp fuse for the main...

Much changes over the years but seldom is original, unmolested work required to be changed.

I've worked on factory floors with concrete floors and huge loading docks... all from the 70's and early 80's and not a GFCI to be found.

At one time I helped with critical home medical devices and there were numerous cautions NOT to use a GFCI circuit... instead a dedicated circuit with a single 20amp grounded receptacle of hospital grade required and again numerous cautions about NOT being on a GFCI...

About a 20% of my outlets are 220V... and some require a 3 phase convertor.

/ electric in my barn.....need help #72  
Curious if other locations require electrical permits and inspections? If i'm doing something minor, I don't bother with it, but I do try and do it the right way. Any new structures or additions we have pulled the permits and got the inspections. The permits are free as are the inspections, and they have always been prompt with the inspections, so not much reason not to do it. Our rural power company won't turn the power on to a new service until it has passed inspection.

In 14 years in my shop I can only remember one GFCI trip. Never knew what caused it. On outside GFCIs that is more common a problem probably because of moisture. In my experience there is no good reason not to use them, but I don't want one on something important like a deep freeze. NEC addresses exceptions for things like medical.

If you guys are having troubles with your tools tripping GFCIs, I would be taking a close look at those tools.

I too have worked in commercial shops that have no GFCIs, the current one was built in 1982. I would think that one should have had them, but doesn't, other than the bathrooms and kitchen.

/ electric in my barn.....need help #73  
No inspections here for our co-op, the city requires inspections for anything in the city limits or in the county that has city electric.

/ electric in my barn.....need help #74  
Not wanting to get this thread about a great build/shop too far into the weeds...

I do wonder the how and why of things and the exceptions for medical devices shows the reliability of GFCI devices still has not reached the point where the small risk of shock supersedes the risk of a medical device losing power.

At one time I was averaging 2 service calls each week with rental property due to GFCI...

An interesting side note is the Code also requires regular testing and keeping a log... this is code yet I have yet to meet a single homeowner that is in compliance...

As a matter of turnover for rentals I check ALL outlets before renting again...

A added a single outlet in a laundry room... about 7' of BX cable and the city inspection permit was $211 and this was several years back.

Friday had an inspection at work... the Hospital wing was completed in 1994 and has had 37 official code inspections since then... the inspector issued a correction notice to fire caulk 127 emt conduit penetrations... as I said, I have 37 official documented inspections and 22 years later it is a problem... nothing has been added, changed or modified in the panel room...

One of the retired facility guys said it keeps guys like us employed...

/ electric in my barn.....need help
No inspections here for our co-op, the city requires inspections for anything in the city limits or in the county that has city electric.

that is the same here.........no permit or inspection needed.

/ electric in my barn.....need help #76  
Being on the other side where a permit is needed for just about anything... including replacing an existing toilet and mandatory inspections of rentals it is hard to imagine otherwise...

This is why I look forward to these threads.

/ electric in my barn.....need help #80  
Electric is done and it came out great! I have not mounted garage-door-openers yet. Here are a couple of pics. Outside dusk to dawn LED,
View attachment 486206

I've seen those LED area lights around, but never one in operation. My wife wants me to light a 60' round pen. Think that one would be adequate about 20' up?

Super dark here, so a little light goes a long way.