Stihl 4 mix vs Echo 2 stroke

/ Stihl 4 mix vs Echo 2 stroke #21  
I will add another trimmer into the mix Dolmar CS-246.4 C bc.Great straight shaft trimmer.$299

Last edited:
   / Stihl 4 mix vs Echo 2 stroke #22  
I have the Stihl 4-mix engine in a Magnum 600 blower. Wife loves it! Easier to start than an equivalent power 2-stroke, significantly quieter, and I think, lower vibration.

/ Stihl 4 mix vs Echo 2 stroke #23  
I can get my 2 stroke blower and and 2 stroke string trimmer to start on the first or second pull. My chainsaws require quite a few pulls. My blower is a Red Max and vibrates at idle, but runs smooth as silk at anything faster. My trimmer is a Shindaiwa and runs smooth as silk at any rpm. And it makes the Stihl KM90 feel like a real turd. The superior power to weight ratio of 2 stroke is enough for me.

/ Stihl 4 mix vs Echo 2 stroke #24  
I have the Stihl 4-mix engine in a Magnum 600 blower. Wife loves it! Easier to start than an equivalent power 2-stroke, significantly quieter, and I think, lower vibration.

I have the same 4 mix Stihl blower and it is fantastic. I also have a Stihl 130 combi and it is a workhorse. I have no reservations with the 4 mix Stihl engines.

/ Stihl 4 mix vs Echo 2 stroke #25  
I have a FS130R (4 mix) and an older FS45 two stroke. The older machine is the one I use. The fs130 only gets used for the heavier jobs. It's easily twice the weight, it's louder and it vibrates. It also hates anything but stihl oil. One of my most disappointing purchases.

/ Stihl 4 mix vs Echo 2 stroke
I'v heard Stihl maybe leaving the 4mix going to stratus charged 2 stroke like most their competitors. I personally think they will. Higher Rpms, less weight, less maintenance. Seems like a no brainer to me. 7000 rpms vs 11000 is really a big difference and is why you will never see a Stihl 4mix chainsaw. Interestingly enough their pole saws are 4 mix but some complain of slow performance.

/ Stihl 4 mix vs Echo 2 stroke #27  
I have found out the hard way that the secret to longevity in a small engine is to use alcohol free gas. I have had Echo products and I have had Stihl products. Both perform up to expectations. I have been told that the smaller Echos sold at Home Depot and other places do not have as good an engine as the ones sold at dealers. But I have no actual experience to back this up. My main requirement would be a local dealer who stands behind what he sells and who has been in business a while and likely to stay in business a while.

After all that is said I do prefer Stihl products because that is what I now own and they have been trouble free except for the usual maintenance things. The one exception was a chain saw that welded the piston to the cylinder. Dealer said that it was my fault because the alcohol had separated from the gas and oil will not mix with the alcohol and that was what burned it up. He is a friend and the saw was many years out of warranty when this happened. He also told me that one station in our town had tested 20% alcohol in their mix. This was the station I had bought the gas at.

/ Stihl 4 mix vs Echo 2 stroke #28  
. He also told me that one station in our town had tested 20% alcohol in their mix. This was the station I had bought the gas at.

YIKES !

/ Stihl 4 mix vs Echo 2 stroke
Yes I use only 100% gas in all my mowers and small engine power tools. Atv's also. Add little fuel stabilizer and you will never have issues up to 1 year of sitting.

Look up the APP called "Pure Gas". It will show you dealers in your area. The demand for this fuel is growing because of the water issues derived from ethanol based fuels. The dealer network is growing too.

/ Stihl 4 mix vs Echo 2 stroke #30  
I have been told that the smaller Echos sold at Home Depot and other places do not have as good an engine as the ones sold at dealers. But I have no actual experience to back this up. My main requirement would be a local dealer who stands behind what he sells and who has been in business a while and likely to stay in business a while.

I don't believe that is true, at least according to the parts manuals -- all the same numbers.

What is interesting is that Echo makes a higher-rated motor than other brands at the same price points. If you take a look at the emissions tag, you'll see many of their saws rated for 300 hours whereas competitors will have 50 hour ratings. That is the amount of time they certify the saw will meet emissions regs, and gives an idea of the longevity of the internal parts (cylinder, piston, rings mainly). Stihl's consumer saws are 50 hour saws, and you don't get into the 300 hour rating until moving into the pro lineup. When I first started paying attention to this, I was impressed that my $300 Home Depot Echo was right up there with my $1200 Stihl.