Roller Build!

/ Roller Build! #1  

Msalzwe

Tractor
Branson 3520R
Hello all!
I'm getting ready to build a BIG yard roller. I welcome your input and ideas along the way.
So the design I'm shooting for it to be able to use it both mounted on the 3pt as well as a removeable tow bar that can be attached to the draw bar like a trailer.
To achieve this I will fabricate a 3pt mount on one side and a tow bar on the other.
The main use for the 3pt will be primarily to load it onto a trailer to be used at some other location. It will also make a great counter balance as well!! It is VERY HEAVY!!
The roller I've acquired is half inch plate 66" long rolled 24" in diameter. It is capped with 1" plate and has a 3" solid shaft running all the way through.
It is also chrome plated around the outside :thumbsup: IMG_2681.JPGIMG_2977.JPGIMG_2978.JPG

/ Roller Build! #2  
SWEET!!!! That should do the job!

/ Roller Build! #3  
That is quite the find! I am jealous. What was it?

/ Roller Build! #4  
One recommendation I can make regards the mounting of the roller to whatever frame you'll be using... do not 'hang' the roller from the frame. Have the frame 'hang' from the roller. This will save on bearing wear and, when lifting the implement, support it better.

Like this:

Attachments

• B.Roller.1.jpg
    B.Roller.1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 578
   / Roller Build! #5  
You would probably benefit from a pivoting spring loaded scraper plate. I'd take a closeup of mine but I just sold it last month.

Six foot diameter. 60 inch working width. 3/4" plate. Water filled with up to 500 gallons.

Only pic I have is of it leaving my yard.

IMG_1641.JPG

Terry

/ Roller Build!
You would probably benefit from a pivoting spring loaded scraper plate. I'd take a closeup of mine but I just sold it last month.

Six foot diameter. 60 inch working width. 3/4" plate. Water filled with up to 500 gallons.

Only pic I have is of it leaving my yard.

View attachment 505725

Terry

Any particular material for the scraper blade? I was kicking around the idea of some UHMW sheets I've got laying around.
For the spring loaded part, what benefit would that have over a fixed blade? Does material want to stay attached that well on a roller?

Now that's a roller!!

/ Roller Build!
One recommendation I can make regards the mounting of the roller to whatever frame you'll be using... do not 'hang' the roller from the frame. Have the frame 'hang' from the roller. This will save on bearing wear and, when lifting the implement, support it better.

Like this:

My plan currently for the bearing is to machine some thick plate out and insert a bronze bushing and some grease fittings. The shaft size where the original bearings rode are 2 7/16". That's a mighty pricy pair of bearings.

/ Roller Build! #9  
Any particular material for the scraper blade? I was kicking around the idea of some UHMW sheets I've got laying around.
For the spring loaded part, what benefit would that have over a fixed blade? Does material want to stay attached that well on a roller?

Now that's a roller!!

Mine was a piece of 6" X 3/16" plate the full width of the roller.

Hinged and spring loaded. A fixed scraper blade will create problems with pebbles or other debris getting wedged between it and the rolling drum.

Terry

/ Roller Build! #10  
My plan currently for the bearing is to machine some thick plate out and insert a bronze bushing and some grease fittings. The shaft size where the original bearings rode are 2 7/16". That's a mighty pricy pair of bearings.

That's fine. I still recommend 'hanging' the frame for better support. :)