Cheap $20 a month Stand Alone Unlimited Rural Internet through AT&T Wireless

/ Cheap $20 a month Stand Alone Unlimited Rural Internet through AT&T Wireless #191  
I work from home and have been using mine all day and remote desktop is working just as well as my normal connection. I'm planning to connect it into my dual WAN router for a load-balanced/failover connection. Then, when we go camping, we can just unhook the Mobley and take it with us. Good times! :)

/ Cheap $20 a month Stand Alone Unlimited Rural Internet through AT&T Wireless
I agree on throttling being a real problem , especially with some satellite providers

after 175mb Hughes on a high load day will not just hard throttle- but slow the download to the point that the connection times out repeatedly.
There are days that getting on line has been impossible for over 18 hours out of a day. (satellite connection and uplink are fine)

I tried to order the Mobley from ATT and the connection just kept timing out so tried the Best buy link, had to pay $99 even though trending said $79?

So got one ordered.
Any way hope this works after checking and finding one ATT tower and reading a coverage site blog that rated ATT # 1 and Verizon #2 in our local town. Fingers crossed.

Would have just gone to the local ATT store but after reading the internet only comments and others of them having no knowledge of the device or plan figured I would just walk in with the Mobley and try to get it activated.

May be looking for an antennae next:laughing:

It was on sale at best buy last week for $79, as my friend ordered one. I guess the sale is over and best buy is the same price as AT&T now.

I work from home and have been using mine all day and remote desktop is working just as well as my normal connection. I'm planning to connect it into my dual WAN router for a load-balanced/failover connection. Then, when we go camping, we can just unhook the Mobley and take it with us. Good times! :)

Could I use a dual Wan router with load balancing to connect 2 of the mobley's at the same time? My connections is fairly decent, getting 20's down all the time but if I had another one would I be able to get 40 down? I understand it would be an additonal charge but $40 ($20 x 2)a month for 40 to 50 down would still be a good deal if possible.

/ Cheap $20 a month Stand Alone Unlimited Rural Internet through AT&T Wireless #194  
Could I use a dual Wan router with load balancing to connect 2 of the mobley's at the same time? My connections is fairly decent, getting 20's down all the time but if I had another one would I be able to get 40 down? I understand it would be an additonal charge but $40 a month for 40 to 50 down would still be a good deal if possible.

Well, you could use a dual WAN router with 2 mobley's, though you would likely have to use another router for one of the connections because routers don't support two USB WANs (none that I know of but there may be some). Now, once you get past that hurdle (not difficult really), you won't get twice your speed. Your ISP has to support bonding, and so does your router, and we're talking lots of $$$ here. However, with load balancing, two users would be able to see 20 down each, but without bonding, the most any one user would see is 20. Also, if you run two speed tests simultaneously on the same machine, they may each show 20, meaning you are getting 40 total, but each session is only pulling 20.

Does that make sense?

/ Cheap $20 a month Stand Alone Unlimited Rural Internet through AT&T Wireless #195  
Could I use a dual Wan router with load balancing to connect 2 of the mobley's at the same time? My connections is fairly decent, getting 20's down all the time but if I had another one would I be able to get 40 down? I understand it would be an additonal charge but $40 a month for 40 to 50 down would still be a good deal if possible.

My understanding is that most dual WAN routers have just one USB connection. That's how the Mobley will hook to a router. The other connection is an ethernet jack for a normal cable modem or DSL modem input. You could look to see if someone makes a multi-WAN router with 2 or more USB WAN inputs though.

I don't think dual WAN routers aggregate the traffic, which is what you need to get 40 mbps from two 20 mbps connection. Your choices normally are to either have one connection be a primary and the other the failover (if/when primary fails the secondary is put into service) or load balanced where traffic gets routed to one or the other WAN connection based on some algorithm. What I've seen is usually a weighted ratio. So if you had two identical connections you'd weight it 1:1. If you had one low-end 2 mbps connection and one better 20 mbps one you'd weight it more like 1:10. There definitely are devices that can aggregate connections for additive throughput but I think they are not your typical hobby-grade devices.

I could be all washed up on this, since I've only been researching it for a short while...

Rob

/ Cheap $20 a month Stand Alone Unlimited Rural Internet through AT&T Wireless #196  

Which dual WAN router are you using?

Rob

Well, you could use a dual WAN router with 2 mobley's, though you would likely have to use another router for one of the connections because routers don't support two USB WANs (none that I know of but there may be some). Now, once you get past that hurdle (not difficult really), you won't get twice your speed. Your ISP has to support bonding, and so does your router, and we're talking lots of $$$ here. However, with load balancing, two users would be able to see 20 down each, but without bonding, the most any one user would see is 20. Also, if you run two speed tests simultaneously on the same machine, they may each show 20, meaning you are getting 40 total, but each session is only pulling 20.

Does that make sense?

Yes that makes perfect sense, so if one of the grand kids is hitting my network hard with their online gaming or tablet streaming my computer connection would still be really fast.

Honestly this hasn't been a problem at all so far, but I like to learn all the options.

/ Cheap $20 a month Stand Alone Unlimited Rural Internet through AT&T Wireless #198  
Which dual WAN router are you using?

Rob

Well, I've got a couple that I'm working with. One is an Asus RT-AC68U. I'm having trouble with it working like I need. I have port forwarding set up because I have a server set up to host websites, and when I turn on the dual WAN, the port forwarding fails. My other option is an old Cisco RV042. It only has ethernet ports, so my plan is to use a router with a USB port for the Mobley connection (Netgear WNDR3700) and feed that into the RV042 via ethernet, then let the RV042 handle the dual WAN portion. The RV042 will handle the port forwarding to my server. I'll then repurpose my AC68U as an access point behind the RV042.

EDIT: Another note: the option of using the WNDR3700 for the Mobley connection gives me the added benefit of putting the Mobley where it gets the best signal instead of in the middle of the house where my AC68U needs to be for the best WiFi signal throughout the house. That also makes it easier to grab and take with us when we go somewhere too.

/ Cheap $20 a month Stand Alone Unlimited Rural Internet through AT&T Wireless #199  
Tried to activate online, first one asked for my Onstar car number, I told her she was not in the right connected car plan, got transferred several times, finally got to the right person but she could not verify me since I didn't have my drivers license number handy. After a total of 57 minutes on the phone, she assigned a cell phone number and a eighteen digit case number and said go to the AT&T store.

Took the eBay/Besy Buy Mobley to the AT&T store in Stillwater yesterday. Megan met us at the door, sat down at a table and in about 15 minutes had it activated. She said I might get Billing to wave the $25 activation fee. Total monthly bill will be $25.94 with all of the extra fees.

Got home, plugged it in to the power supply, It works! :D Got a weak signal of -115 dBm, 130 kbps down, 10kbps up.

Speed increased when moved to a stronger signal, this is -106 dBm:

4-26 9AM -106dBm.JPG

And -100 dBm:

4-26 1424 -100dBm.JPG

Kinda slow, but faster than Hughes Net in the evening hours. :thumbsup:

Still have a lot of places to try for a stronger signal.

/ Cheap $20 a month Stand Alone Unlimited Rural Internet through AT&T Wireless #200  
I found I could join the Mobley wifi via an apple express which gives me Ethernet access via wifi not wire.
I want to usb tether to a router so I can Ethernet from an externally mounted Picostation and expand to cover my cottage 300ft away. A lot to learn as I haven't a clue LOL