help with chinese motor!

/ help with chinese motor! #1  

jiminpa

Bronze Member
Tractor
massy 35 diesel
a buddy gave me a northern tool backhoe.it has a loncin 270cc motor on it. the govener seems to have locked up at wide open. anyone played with this motor? I don't see anything on the web on them. if I cant find anything on it i'll swap it for a brigs!

/ help with chinese motor! #2  
Loncin is a common Chinese engine, used in all sorts of equipment from mowers to generators.
Parts are cheap, but you need to match them up visually. I use eBay for parts.

You many not need any parts. Crack it open, if you have the interest.

/ help with chinese motor! #3  
Well, a new Briggs or Kohler that size will be china made too... May as well see if you can fix what you have.

SR

/ help with chinese motor! #4  
Well, a new Briggs or Kohler that size will be china made too... May as well see
if you can fix what you have.

SR

True enough. Small Honda engines are also made in China, but their QA is no doubt better.

I recently was given one of these small OHV Chinese engines to take apart in by volunteer work
with middle school kids. It seemed to be made fairly well.

I believe that Predator brand engines may be the same as Loncin.

/ help with chinese motor! #5  
I expect the govenor will only begin to move when the engine speeds up. Its job is to close the throttle plate as revs go too high.

Will it run?

The govenor, if it is indeed wide open, will not stop the engine from starting.

Dave M7040

/ help with chinese motor! #6  
Does it have a throttle control? I hate those fixed speed arrangements, as they rarely work as intended for very long. Most of the time you can get an engine to start at idle and slowly ramp the speed up as it warms, but without an ability to feather things most results are a flooded engine.

/ help with chinese motor! #7  
Most generators run with the fixed speed arrangement and do quite well.

The carb circuits are much simpler as the transition circuits are not needed.

The carb has to be taken apart completely to get to the emulsion tube A underneath the main jet B.

It has tiny holes along the side of the tube. You need a strand of fine wire to poke out the holes. It will make an amazing improvement.
WbC194m.jpg

Be very careful removing the main jet B. You need a screwdriver tip that fits exactly into the brass slot. In the screwdriver tip sets you can buy, there will be a series of flat tips. Fit one that is a very tight fit and apply a lot of pressure to keep the tip in the slot as you turn it loose.

Screw up the slot and you have very big problems.

Dave M7040

/ help with chinese motor!
no problem starting. it goes straight to 4000 rpm and stays there.nothing you can do slows it down(other than hitting the kill switch.) the governor shaft will not move,seems to be froze in place.