Pacific Northwest - Forrest Fires

/ Pacific Northwest - Forrest Fires #21  
Rain here
We might get an inch and a half tomorrow. I don't think you could get a fire to start in the forest around here for love nor money.

You have my condolences on the situation....

/ Pacific Northwest - Forrest Fires #22  
Too had Harvey didn't send some rain your way.

/ Pacific Northwest - Forrest Fires #23  
Rain here
We might get an inch and a half tomorrow. I don't think you could get a fire to start in the forest around here for love nor money.

You have my condolences on the situation....

Can we swap?

I can't believe how dry of a summer we've had. Normally our pasture has carried us through till fall but this year it's completely bare. Not looking forward to how it's going to be in winter.

Eagle Creek fire(east of Portland shutting down I-84 and threatening a ton of infrastructure) was apparently started by some idiot 15 year old kid playing with fireworks. Stupid.

/ Pacific Northwest - Forrest Fires #24  
34 miles of hose used on one fire.

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/article/5490/40119/

Bridge Crk Fire Update, September 5, 2017

Incident: Bridge Creek Fire Wildfire
Released: 9 hrs. ago

For Immediate Release

The Bridge Creek Fire is now 78 percent contained and burning within the containment lines. As we reach a higher containment percentage on the fire, resources will continue to be demobilized. Many of these resources have been assigned to other existing and new fires in the Northwest. Both Washington and Oregon have now declared a state of emergency due to the number of fires, lack of resources in the region, and the potential for future fires over the coming weeks.
...Fire crews have completed using the infrared camera looking for hot spots and now have begun pulling hose out of the area. Approximately 34 miles of hose has been used on the Bridge Creek Fire.

/ Pacific Northwest - Forrest Fires #25  
Just heard today they are sending 200 soldiers from Joint Base Lewis Mchord down to the fires in the Umpqua National Forest in Oregon.
Sun was a dim orange ball today, temp maxed out at 97 degrees. Driest and hottest summer I can remember. We have had two days with rain since the beginning of June, only a few hundreds of an inch each time. Air quality here was better than Seattle and Portland, no ash falling on us. Been working the air conditioning overtime this summer, but with all the smoke the electronic air cleaner has been a blessing.

/ Pacific Northwest - Forrest Fires #26  
34 miles of hose used on one fire.

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/article/5490/40119/

Bridge Crk Fire Update, September 5, 2017

Incident: Bridge Creek Fire Wildfire
Released: 9 hrs. ago

For Immediate Release

The Bridge Creek Fire is now 78 percent contained and burning within the containment lines. As we reach a higher containment percentage on the fire, resources will continue to be demobilized. Many of these resources have been assigned to other existing and new fires in the Northwest. Both Washington and Oregon have now declared a state of emergency due to the number of fires, lack of resources in the region, and the potential for future fires over the coming weeks.
...Fire crews have completed using the infrared camera looking for hot spots and now have begun pulling hose out of the area. Approximately 34 miles of hose has been used on the Bridge Creek Fire.

Twenty some years ago I was dispatched to a seventy thousand acre fire between Entiat and Leavenworth about this time of year, there were about 1700 firefighters on the lines. When they pulled the hose from that one I was put in charge of a youth crew rolling and sorting it, (federal, state, and private contractor/timber company). The hose, pumps and portatanks were being brought down to the fire camp by the ten yard dump truck loads. We had a gas powered hose roller that could do two lengths at a time, it took about three 16 hour days to sort and roll all of it. No idea how many miles it was. Did go through dozens of leather work gloves guiding the hose onto the roller.

/ Pacific Northwest - Forrest Fires #27  
Heavy ash fall last night and this morning. Washed it off with a pressure hose.
Just took the dogs out for their bedtime bathroom break and the ash has covered the cars and trucks again.
The full moon is just an orange glow through the smoke.

/ Pacific Northwest - Forrest Fires
Went out at 3:30am and everything is grey. Hope it was just the weird moon but I think its probably ash. This is getting OLD.

/ Pacific Northwest - Forrest Fires #29  
I live 30 miles west of Salt Lake City. The air is so bad I put my Harley away for the time being. I've had Asthma all my life but I have never had as many problems as I have this summer. The mountains on either side of the valley are not visible. I think I'd take 10-20% of a hurricane to blow out and clean the air. :)

Winter and snow (and clean air) can not get here soon enough.

/ Pacific Northwest - Forrest Fires
AARRGGG - don't say that cat fever. My brand new 2017 BMW R1200GSA is out in its little shed, just waiting to be ridden - but not in this smoke, ash and corruption. For both of us - winter is about two months away. Nobody wants to wait that long.

All tolled this has been the weirdest year of the 35+ years I've been out here. It was, by a long ways, the wettest spring ever. Now we are experiencing the driest summer & fall on record. So this wet spring grew the field grass like never before and now we have the largest crop of "fuel" ever, out in the fields. It is definitely a formula for a major disaster.