Build a Shop/Home Pics, Ideas, Plans???

/ Build a Shop/Home Pics, Ideas, Plans??? #21  
I found that when I was working with a sledge or a large grinder, the concrete slab transmitted the sound into the house. Would also rattle dishes in the kitchen. Shop had it's own HVAC, and no common doorways - I had to go out the back door onto the back porch, turn, and open the shop door.

If I were using a mud room to divide the house and shop, I'd add a sink and a shower - and maybe a toilet. Let's you get clean, and make a great place to wash the skunked dog.

You save the cost of a wall and exterior finishing. Nickels in the overall scheme of things.

/ Build a Shop/Home Pics, Ideas, Plans???
I found that when I was working with a sledge or a large grinder, the concrete slab transmitted the sound into the house. Would also rattle dishes in the kitchen. Shop had it's own HVAC, and no common doorways - I had to go out the back door onto the back porch, turn, and open the shop door.

If I were using a mud room to divide the house and shop, I'd add a sink and a shower - and maybe a toilet. Let's you get clean, and make a great place to wash the skunked dog.

You save the cost of a wall and exterior finishing. Nickels in the overall scheme of things.

I'm beginning to think your last sentence has much merit.

/ Build a Shop/Home Pics, Ideas, Plans??? #23  
With the amount of usage you plan for your shop, I wonder how much of a risk there is of a fire? At one point I was working on designing my dream barn. It would be big enough to park my tractors and implements, have a workshop, store hay and livestock. But the more I read up on each of those things, the more I realized that if something happened, I would lose it all. Hay fires seem to happen to barns around here every year. I don't know anybody personally who has had their hay barn burn down, but I do know of quite a few who have posted pictures of their neighbors barn burning down. I also know of quite a few shop fires that have done a lot of damage, and that have done just a little bit of damage. I currently do all my work in my garage, and it's been fine, but my goal is to build that dream shop where I can have everything under roof, and away from my house.

One of your biggest challenges with building a home inside of a rectangular building is getting everything to fit. While not hard to do, it will require a fair amount of sacrifice. Either you have a limited amount of space, or getting from room to room will result in wasted space called hallways, or doors not where you want them.

Having said that, I remember the TV Show the Bionic Woman and how she lived in a converted barn. That has always been the coolest home on TV that I remember. I don't remember a work shop in her barn, but I do remember the open concept and exposed beams.

Thanks Eddie. I totally understand everything you've said.

My remote shop burned to the ground 9 years ago. Lost my diesel truck, two tractors, two Jeeps, two ATVs and all my shop equipment. Would have certainly burned my house had it been attached. So I have a high level of concern regarding fire.

The space challenge is something I'm struggling with now. To get space efficiency I'm thinking a "T" design. If I do that I think I'm giving up the cost savings of building them combined.

If I was a grizzly ole bachelor it would be easy. But this is a shared facility. I respect my wife's desire for an efficient well designed house. She respects my desire for an effective shop. We may end up "sleeping in different beds" or buildings. :)

/ Build a Shop/Home Pics, Ideas, Plans??? #25  
With the mud room adjoining the house and shop, could you put in a air to air exchanger to bring in outside air and exhaust the inside air? Thinking that might reduce the odors from the shop getting to the house. Either way, how would the mud room be heated/ac'ed? Any return air ducts in there? Just some thoughts. Emjoy. Jon

/ Build a Shop/Home Pics, Ideas, Plans??? #26  
A breeze way between the living quarters and shop area?

A breeze way between the living quarters and shop area?

Yep, thought about that. There's a setup like that near my farm. I'll stop and visit the guy that owns it when the weather gets a little better.

/ Build a Shop/Home Pics, Ideas, Plans??? #28  
How high do you want the walls of the shop? Would something like this pass muster with SWMBO?
Pole Buildinhg House.jpg

/ Build a Shop/Home Pics, Ideas, Plans??? #30  
Head over to garagejournal.com. Lots of build threads on combo shop/houses on there. Most of them show a floor plan and lots of guys are open with their true costs involved.