Mountain lion kills mountain biker in Washington

/ Mountain lion kills mountain biker in Washington #11  
I'd kill it and not tell anyone.

/ Mountain lion kills mountain biker in Washington #12  
Only if your willing to deal with the cost of a potential legal case, a low warning shot probably a lot less chance of causing a mess for you or the lion.

That said unless you're trail running/biking you don't have a lot to worry about, they tend to retreat if you make your presence known.

What ever happened to " in defense of life or property" I would never want to shoot a person or an animal but if it comes to me or my family, I would shoot in a heartbeat. In my America, we still have the right to defend ourselves.

/ Mountain lion kills mountain biker in Washington #13  
Or not go into cougar territory on a mountain bike which is obviously going to trigger the chase and kill instinct in the cougar.

Seattle is overrun lately with tons of growth by city dwellers who go out on a weekend like ants out of an anthill into territory they know nothing about.

Well, that bicycle should give those Yuppies a head start...

/ Mountain lion kills mountain biker in Washington #14  
Well, that bicycle should give those Yuppies a head start...

Whoops, guess I shouldn't talk. My son just moved to Seattle.

/ Mountain lion kills mountain biker in Washington #15  
What ever happened to " in defense of life or property" I would never want to shoot a person or an animal but if it comes to me or my family, I would shoot in a heartbeat. In my America, we still have the right to defend ourselves.

My point was that there's a bunch of ways to de-escalate a situation without getting into territory that lands you with an expensive legal bill(even if your in the "right"). Owning a gun means also being responsible about that ownership.

You don't see the boyscouts gunning down every bear in the woods they come across(and when I was backpacking/camping we had at least 2-3 encounters each season). Much of the same applies to mountain lions(I also grew up in an area where they were present). Knowing how to react to wildlife is much more important than packing the largest legal caliber you can carry.

I'm not against guns, and they have many valid uses on the farm/countryside but they really should be a tool of *last* resort.

/ Mountain lion kills mountain biker in Washington #16  
My point was that there's a bunch of ways to de-escalate a situation without getting into territory that lands you with an expensive legal bill(even if your in the "right"). Owning a gun means also being responsible about that ownership.

You don't see the boyscouts gunning down every bear in the woods they come across(and when I was backpacking/camping we had at least 2-3 encounters each season). Much of the same applies to mountain lions(I also grew up in an area where they were present). Knowing how to react to wildlife is much more important than packing the largest legal caliber you can carry.

I'm not against guns, and they have many valid uses on the farm/countryside but they really should be a tool of *last* resort.

Amen. I agree.

/ Mountain lion kills mountain biker in Washington #17  
This really comes under the category of "freak accident". If I wrote down all of the things that could happen to me when I go out into the woods I would never go to work again, Still, an ounce of prevention is a pound of cure. While we don't have mountain lions here we do have bears, which are hungry this time of year. Perhaps I need to find someone to work with who can't run as fast as I can.
(A black bear attack here is almost as likely as me dating Vanna. :p )

/ Mountain lion kills mountain biker in Washington #18  
This really comes under the category of "freak accident". If I wrote down all of the things that could happen to me when I go out into the woods I would never go to work again, Still, an ounce of prevention is a pound of cure. While we don't have mountain lions here we do have bears, which are hungry this time of year. Perhaps I need to find someone to work with who can't run as fast as I can.
(A black bear attack here is almost as likely as me dating Vanna. :p )

That's exactly what my wife does. She keeps my insurance paid and invites me on her forest trecks. Old fat guys make good prey.

/ Mountain lion kills mountain biker in Washington #19  
That's exactly what my wife does. She keeps my insurance paid and invites me on her forest trecks. Old fat guys make good prey.
You have real bears up there. The story goes that a guy from Maine went up there to cruise timber. The first day he showed up with a .44 strapped to his hip. The foreman said "Take that down to the garage and have the front sight ground off. "Why" the Mainer asked?
"So that it won't hurt so badly when the bear shoves it up your behind."

/ Mountain lion kills mountain biker in Washington #20  

No argument, because of course it should be last resort, but I think we were assuming a life/death and relatively quick needed decision.

I have been all other the woods in question, as a Boy Scout and have rode my bike in the area too... quite awhile back. This was a fluke incident as Mountain Lions don't tend to attack. My guess is the bikers were surprised and caught completelyoff guard. In my opinion, bicycle riders are never as 'in tune' with nature compared to hikers on foot.