Old sickle mower

/ Old sickle mower #1  

jw1312

I have an old sickle mower that I would like to customize to pull behind my ATV any ideas of the size of motor I should put on it. The motor would probably run at 3000 RPM reduced to 540 RPM.

/ Old sickle mower #2  
10 hp should be enough.

Good luck

/ Old sickle mower #3  
Not so fast, how will you reduce the speed? Chains and sprocket or pully and belt. By reducing the speed, you could amplify the torque by a factor of Four plus. What type of mower do you have? Pitman arm? 7 ft or 9 ft?. I operate my NH 451 w/ a 21 pto hp ford, no issues, I should look in operator manual for min hp requirement..

Be sure to use an "Overhung Load Adapter" on the engine output shaft to protect the shaft bearing. Available from surplus center.

Last edited:
   / Old sickle mower
I'm planning on using belts for a 6 to 1 reduction. Not looking at it right now but I believe it's an old Massey 7 Foot it's in the Grove at my in-laws

/ Old sickle mower #5  
Sickle mowers take very little hp to operate.

I know they make gear reduction units that bolt to the side of a small engine and you can buy small engines with them installed. I happen to have a 6:1 unit out in my garage that is a direct bolt-on to a B&S 8 hp engine.

/ Old sickle mower #6  
I have an old sickle mower that I would like to customize to pull behind my ATV any ideas of the size of motor I should put on it. The motor would probably run at 3000 RPM reduced to 540 RPM.

How to you plan to rig up the engine/speed reducer on your pull behind sicklebar? For reference here's my Allis Chalmers 80T seven-foot sicklebar. It doesn't seem like a big job to retrofit this type of mower for ATV use.

AC 80T--2.JPG

Good luck

/ Old sickle mower #7  
If someone is UNFAMILIAR w/ riveted blade attachment, broken guide forks, and bent and deformed cutting bars, they are in for a rude awakening.