DIY ELECTRICIANS.. PLEASE NOTE

/ DIY ELECTRICIANS.. PLEASE NOTE #1  

mbohuntr

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mahindra 1533
Recently a gentleman was asking about putting in a salvaged 3ph. motor starter for his single phase shop. It quickly became apparent he needed some help, but was not willing to get professional help. He wanted to learn it on his own.

51-year-old Fairmount man electrocuted working on power to his garage, police say | syracuse.com

Here is another story of someone who isn't going to be there for their family or friends because of an accident. Any electrician will tell you they have gotten zapped in their career... It is common. If you are not well versed on a subject, ask.. If the pro's recommend you get help, LISTEN!, don't take offence.... It may save your life!

We all had to learn, no one is born with the knowledge... A meter is not optional... it can save your life. I depend on mine every day.

Sorry for the rant,
Off the soapbox

/ DIY ELECTRICIANS.. PLEASE NOTE #3  
I guess no Electricians have ever been electrocuted on the job? (not by the state)
With every trade there are risks and too often the pro will get hit also.
With electric I will quote Ronald Reagan "trust but verify".
I sold a 3 phase Ironworker to a guy with a single to 3 phase converter that I made.
I showed him that it worked and gave him a schematic on how to hook it up.
He called me 2 days later saying that he hired an electrician to hook it up and the electrician called me "a con man" that you can't get 3 ph from single!
I told him, you saw it run! Find a REAL electrician!

/ DIY ELECTRICIANS.. PLEASE NOTE #4  
Not all electricians are educated, trained, and apprenticed equally... There are journeyman electricians and then there are romex pullers.

/ DIY ELECTRICIANS.. PLEASE NOTE #5  
I told him, you saw it run! Find a REAL electrician!
Unfortunately there aren't many REAL electricians out there.
- I've seen an electrician wire a circuit with 40 amps on a neutral 12 ga wire
- I've seen someone with yellow romex to a 30 amp outlet and breaker. I asked about that and was told it was done right because an electrician did it.

The real question is how does one find a REAL electrician?

/ DIY ELECTRICIANS.. PLEASE NOTE
I guess no Electricians have ever been electrocuted on the job? (not by the state)
With every trade there are risks and too often the pro will get hit also.
With electric I will quote Ronald Reagan "trust but verify".

Please re-read my post..

/ DIY ELECTRICIANS.. PLEASE NOTE #7  
Unfortunately there aren't many REAL electricians out there.
- I've seen an electrician wire a circuit with 40 amps on a neutral 12 ga wire
- I've seen someone with yellow romex to a 30 amp outlet and breaker. I asked about that and was told it was done right because an electrician did it.

The real question is how does one find a REAL electrician?

I can't speak about other states but from 40 years in the building trades I certainly can about Texas. If the truth was known,I wager neither person in your two examples actually held a license. The majority of my experience was overseeing construction and maintenance of buildings owned by my employers which brought me in contact with countless contractors and their workmen. I rarly had occasion to question electrical work but never once anything so egregious as those examples. On the other hand,other trades are saturated with unskilled people(owners,managers and workmen alike). To answer your question"How does one find a REAL electrician?) have them pull a permit if required by your local jurisdiction. If the job doesn't call for permitting,ask for their license number. You can confirm any license by phone or the net at Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation. In the unlikely event you have something like those examples,call the local jurisdiction or TDLR with the license #. You are at your own risk with plumbers and hvac contractors.

/ DIY ELECTRICIANS.. PLEASE NOTE #8  
Recently a gentleman was asking about putting in a salvaged 3ph. motor starter for his single phase shop. It quickly became apparent he needed some help, but was not willing to get professional help. He wanted to learn it on his own.

51-year-old Fairmount man electrocuted working on power to his garage, police say | syracuse.com

Here is another story of someone who isn't going to be there for their family or friends because of an accident. Any electrician will tell you they have gotten zapped in their career... It is common. If you are not well versed on a subject, ask.. If the pro's recommend you get help, LISTEN!, don't take offence.... It may save your life!

We all had to learn, no one is born with the knowledge... A meter is not optional... it can save your life. I depend on mine every day.

Sorry for the rant,
Off the soapbox
I know of one person on TBN recently who asked about wiring a motor starter, and got the help he needed. And his motor starter works fine.
Electricity is not some black magic mystery, it is very easy to understand. Like others said, not all electricians are good. I recently changed out a photo cell that was wired wrong by an electrician. One time an electrician on a job of mine cut a live 15kv cable and lived. But the best one was a plumber who put a wet tap on a 15kv conduit..

I know some electricians that cant wire a 3way switch without help.

One recently told me a lighting contactor was 240v. I was sure it wasnt, so got my meter and proved him wrong.

And I've made my share of mistakes, lol.

/ DIY ELECTRICIANS.. PLEASE NOTE #9  
Good advice, be careful...electricity and all sorts of mechanical things as well. Most accidents people in a hurry. Take your time.
Never, ever work on a live circuit! Throw the main breaker. There are inexpensive polarity testers. Never assume power is off but be sure it is.
An extra minute can save injury or life.
I use six extra jackstands before getting under a car. People think I'm crazy!

/ DIY ELECTRICIANS.. PLEASE NOTE #10  
Since you mentioned testers, i bought one once that flat out didnt work. Fortunately i tried it first on a known energized circuit, which it indicated was dead. So you cant always trust your tester.