Welding and Macular Degeration

/ Welding and Macular Degeration #1  

Budweiser John

Platinum Member
Tractor
New Holland TC45D
Over the last three years the course of Macular Degeneration (declining eyesight) is slowly claiming my ability to maintain my welding and woodworking skills.
In the woodworking arena I have retro fitted where possible, didgital readouts on my table saw fence, thickness planer and cut off stops on the chop saws so getting along. Welding on the other hand has become a dismal frustration. Ten years ago working in the construction industry my main focus was carpentry but routinely welded structural members, railings, and other odd ball metal components. Never was certified but always passed muster in the eyes of the inspectors.
Fast forward to present day. Five years retired, 75 years old, good health, active, and can稚 see worth a crap.

Any suggestions on visual aids that would improve the maginification of the weld process? Currently using a Miller auto darkening helmet and 6:0 glasses. Typically Stick and Mig welding fabricating useful shop fixtures and repairs on farmstead equipment and hardware.
After working for over 50 years and now having the time, talent, and resources, to create most anything I could want or need but limited ability to see is highly disappointing.

B. John

/ Welding and Macular Degeration #2  
So sorry, I feel for you.. Looks like you are magnified as high as I would think could help. Not many alternatives. Have you added Halogen or bright LED lights on your work? I wish you luck..

/ Welding and Macular Degeration #3  
Yeah, add bright lighting is all I can think of as well. My eyes aren't all that bad yet, but I have recently replaced all of my fluorescent overheads with LEDs and doubled the quantity making for a much brighter shop. In addition, I have been adding adjustable LED lighting on each of my tools close to the action. This helps eliminate any shadows.

/ Welding and Macular Degeration #4  
If you are up to 6x magnification I feel for you... I am at 2.5 diopter lenses in hood and its working for me for now... YES a lot of light seems to help me also... Have been considering this (see graphic) ... Right now just have a little three (AAA) cell LED light duct taped to helmet but bigger/brighter may be better...

Dale

Attachments

• WELDHEMETWITHLIGHT.jpg
    WELDHEMETWITHLIGHT.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 161
   / Welding and Macular Degeration #5  
Do you know someone younger you could apprentice? A partner may work well, he/she could use your welding equipment in trade for welding for you. Neighbor maybe.

/ Welding and Macular Degeration #6  
Do you know someone younger you could apprentice? A partner may work well, he/she could use your welding equipment in trade for welding for you. Neighbor maybe.
Although teaching a younger one is noble, my bet is the OP is still welding because 'he' enjoys it!

/ Welding and Macular Degeration
Dale, your suggestion is a good one. I will give that a try. As a course of routine I carry a small three cell
Mag Light with me everywhere these days.

/ Welding and Macular Degeration
Although teaching a younger one is noble, my bet is the OP is still welding because 'he' enjoys it!

Yes, that is true. I do have a young chap who helps around the farm part time. To the best of my knowledge he has never welded anything but i’ll Offer up an opportunity and see what happens.
My son knows his way around hot iron but lives 60 miles away. It’s always a great day when he and I can coordinate a work bee.

B. John

/ Welding and Macular Degeration #9  
B. John,

I'm not a welder, but experience the same as you for everything else. It is especially bothers me when driving and trying to read street or highway signage. Night driving is scary for me. I now have to always wear my tri-focal glasses outdoors to see just about anything close or far in broad daylight. But I also have to wear the flip up sunglasses attached. In and out of the shade is a bummer. I guess this is no help for your question, but may give you some consolation that you are not alone.....going on 86 next month, so should not complain too much.

Cheers,
Mike

/ Welding and Macular Degeration #10  
Dale, your suggestion is a good one. I will give that a try. As a course of routine I carry a small three cell
Mag Light with me everywhere these days.

Just get brightest light you can that does not upset use or complicate head gear use...

Thinking miners (cave explorers) hardhat lamp with belt held battery pack the way it keep weight on head/neck down a bit...

Dale