Lawn and Garden tractors height adjustment.

/ Lawn and Garden tractors height adjustment. #1  

ChuckT

Gold Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM1510D
So far as I can see L&G tractors (and I pursume, ride-ons?) are notorious for the inaccuracy of the cut adjustment.
Is there a solution? So far it seems like the only _practical_ fix is different tires front and back. I've also looked at blocks to raise the frame relative to the wheels. That seems do-able on the back axles as they are usually just held on with 4 bolts. (?)
But the front axles ... hmm. The few I've looked at - CC, Craftsman, and Husquvarna have a center pivot bolt. I'd have to fab up a double plate with an "offset" pivot hole to match the rear lift.
Doable do you think? Has anyone else got a better solution?

/ Lawn and Garden tractors height adjustment. #2  
Personally, I don't worry about it. I lop the tops off the blades of grass. I'm not trying for a Better Lawns and Turf catalog layout.

/ Lawn and Garden tractors height adjustment. #3  
Some do have a double mount front draft /link arm. They MAY provide a bit more of a secure hold than a single, overall though just moderately better on making a side to side level adjustment. It isn't really clear to me what you are looking to improve on what machine. The accuracy of your adjustments, keeping them in place or creating a higher height of cut? The 48"+ Husqvarna decks will normally have a larger, flat bracket to hold the deck into position better by controlling sway.

/ Lawn and Garden tractors height adjustment.
The mowing deck height adjustment generally has a stepped control, say 1 thru 10, and the mowers are advertised as cutting from 1/2" to 4". Wouldn't it be worth having one that if you want the grass to be, say, 3" tall, you'd select 3 and mow!

/ Lawn and Garden tractors height adjustment. #5  
I can see it now....lift kits for our mowers.:dream

/ Lawn and Garden tractors height adjustment. #6  
The mowing deck height adjustment generally has a stepped control, say 1 thru 10, and the mowers are advertised as cutting from 1/2" to 4". Wouldn't it be worth having one that if you want the grass to be, say, 3" tall, you'd select 3 and mow!
Once setup correctly, my wife Deere x744's mower height adjustment is close to actual cutting height.

/ Lawn and Garden tractors height adjustment. #7  
That's true. It seems like they want people to assume that slot 6 will cut 6" tall, when in truth it may not even cut 3 1/2. Even the basic Deere's have a more realistic HOC gauge. Toro for a while gave up and went ABCDE to take the misunderstanding out of matching numbers to HOC. For your purposes you may be better off to level the deck and mark the position so everyone uses it the same.

/ Lawn and Garden tractors height adjustment. #8  
The deck on my Deere X380 has really good adjustment and control. I briefly checked the factory setting to make sure it was close enough and haven't messed with it since then. When I set it to 3" it's darn close to 3" (of course my ground isn't very smooth or flat).

Most mower decks have a desired angle to them (front lower) to aid in cutting performance. Don't mess with that unless you know better.

If you're buying a box store mower, I wouldn't expect accuracy or control. They simply do not design them for much adjustment. There's a reason the higher end Deeres and Husky mowers cost so much more -- their decks have a lot more thought put into the design.

/ Lawn and Garden tractors height adjustment.
To answer my own question - No. The height adjustment might better be termed Deck Hang instead of height. As it is being set relative to the tractor frame and not the ground. Duh.

/ Lawn and Garden tractors height adjustment. #10  
To answer my own question - No. The height adjustment might better be termed Deck Hang instead of height. As it is being set relative to the tractor frame and not the ground. Duh.

That's an interesting way to look at it...