Compiling a Cook Book

/ Compiling a Cook Book #1  

2LaneCruzer

Super Star Member
Tractor
John Deere LX172
Sharn Jean and I are contemplating putting together a cookbook for the Elks Lodge. We cook for the Lodge, probably average once a month, for about 40 or 50 people, and we get lots of compliments. We would like the theme to be "tried and true family recipes", and maybe even set up a table specifying portions for say a family (4 or 5), a big family (12 or 15) and a large crowd (40 or 50). Anyone here had any experience creating and selling a cookbook? We really aren't looking to get rich over the deal, but it would be nice to make a few bucks for the Ladies Klub.

I already have a lot of recipes, from smoked ribs to stuffed peppers that are pretty much ready to go. Would anticipate a lot of input from the other members too.

Any insight and suggestions would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Dennis

/ Compiling a Cook Book #3  
Interesting you mention that... I'm looking thru "Let's Cook; Cooking with the Carpenter's Ladies Auxiliary". It's the 1962 cookbook by the Carpenters Ladies Aux #338 Roseville, Ca. My Grandmother had six recipes in there.

I have a number of cookbooks like you describe; some I bought, some my wife, and a bunch my late Mom and Grandmother had collected. Grange, Elks, Moose, various volunteer firehouses, etc.

Cookbooks like this are really fun, but my concern would be could you sell them. There are so many organizations that do this; make sure you can sell them. You don't want to be stuck with a stack of them, and the bill from the printer.

/ Compiling a Cook Book
Interesting you mention that... I'm looking thru "Let's Cook; Cooking with the Carpenter's Ladies Auxiliary". It's the 1962 cookbook by the Carpenters Ladies Aux #338 Roseville, Ca. My Grandmother had six recipes in there.

I have a number of cookbooks like you describe; some I bought, some my wife, and a bunch my late Mom and Grandmother had collected. Grange, Elks, Moose, various volunteer firehouses, etc.

Cookbooks like this are really fun, but my concern would be could you sell them. There are so many organizations that do this; make sure you can sell them. You don't want to be stuck with a stack of them, and the bill from the printer.

Good advice; but I don't think anyone is expecting a big profit. I think there are several objectives; one is a group effort; one is to produce a good product, and another is to get the Lodge's name out in the public a little bit more...and maybe the Ladie's Klub can make a few bucks. I don't think we'll commit more that a minimum, maybe $300 or so. If they go like hotcakes, we can order more; if they don't sell, we can give them away as door prizes or some such. I'm a sucker for these cookbooks, I have bought several in the past, and they have a lot of good recipes. Somewhere we have a cookbook compiled by a group of firemen! My brother was a fireman in Albuquerque, and did most of the cooking. I have several of his recipes, and they are top notch...including his recipe for Green Chile Stew (I think it's posted some where on one of these threads).

/ Compiling a Cook Book #6  
This used to be a very common fundraiser. Maybe it still is. I've seen lots of church and civic organizations selling cookbooks in the past. My mother had a part in a few for her church years ago. I'm guessing there are publishers that cater to this.

/ Compiling a Cook Book #7  
If your Elks Lodge has a Scout Troop or Cub Scout Pack, they may be able to help sell. I know Elks are a big supporter of Scouting;the Troop my son was in is still sponsored by the Placerville Lodge #1712. The Troop does an epic pulled pork sandwich feed fundraiser every October at the Lodge. Last one my son was involved in, the Troop leaders helped the kids smoke 150lb of pork butt.

/ Compiling a Cook Book
If your Elks Lodge has a Scout Troop or Cub Scout Pack, they may be able to help sell. I know Elks are a big supporter of Scouting;the Troop my son was in is still sponsored by the Placerville Lodge #1712. The Troop does an epic pulled pork sandwich feed fundraiser every October at the Lodge. Last one my son was involved in, the Troop leaders helped the kids smoke 150lb of pork butt.

Wow! What a great idea! I'm unaware that they sponsor a pack, but it's never too late! Thanks!

/ Compiling a Cook Book #9  
Our local Placerville Lodge charters a Troop and a Pack. Your's may be different. Worth checking in to though.

My son is 6 years out of Scouts, but the Placerville Elks Lodge charters that same troop still. They also allow the Troop to use the lodge for Troop meetings. The Scouts help out waiting tables etc at Elk events; they earn tips that go towards their summer camp.

Wow! What a great idea! I'm unaware that they sponsor a pack, but it's never too late! Thanks!

/ Compiling a Cook Book
Thanks for the input guys. It also occurred to me that we might be able to sell a bit of advertising that we could insert at strategic places in the book. I'm going to pass these ideas on.

Dennis