3038e Driveshaft seal leak

/ 3038e Driveshaft seal leak #1  

omrebel

Tractor
JD 3038e
My rear seal for the driveshaft for the front wheel drive is leaking. I guess a stick pushed it in because the bottom is in 3/8in too far. Has anyone replaced one of these? It looks like it is installed from the outside but I'm not sure how to disconnect the driveshaft. It has a joint about 4 in long with what looks like a small set screw holding the driveshaft to the output shaft. I don't have a shop manual and don't want to pay $300 for one to replace a $15 seal. Any help would be appreciated.

/ 3038e Driveshaft seal leak #2  
omrebel
From jd Parts, looks like the seal should slip right back in, after old one removed.

Looks like a spring pin (4 x 30 mm) driven through the collar holds the stub from the tranny and the drive shaft together. Will take a punch close to that diameter to drive it out. Looks to be the same or similar on both ends of the drive shaft.

Attachments

• 3038e_drive_seal.jpg
    3038e_drive_seal.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 1,178
  • 3038e_drive_shaft.jpg
    3038e_drive_shaft.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 583
   / 3038e Driveshaft seal leak
Thanks-That's what I needed I think. It's not a set screw just a pin you drive out. I couldn't get my light and my glasses lined up well enough to see it.

/ 3038e Driveshaft seal leak #4  
Were you able to replace the seal without having to remove the housing? I have the same issue but think the seal is only replaceable from the inside which means the housing has to come off. F3B7F2E8-F8DF-4403-BEEF-6664257270CE.jpeg

/ 3038e Driveshaft seal leak #5  
My rear seal for the driveshaft for the front wheel drive is leaking. I guess a stick pushed it in because the bottom is in 3/8in too far. Has anyone replaced one of these? It looks like it is installed from the outside but I'm not sure how to disconnect the driveshaft. It has a joint about 4 in long with what looks like a small set screw holding the driveshaft to the output shaft. I don't have a shop manual and don't want to pay $300 for one to replace a $15 seal. Any help would be appreciated.
We’re you able to get seal off from outside or did you have to break down the housing?