How many buckets equal one yard

/ How many buckets equal one yard #1  

Frank Sorbello

Gold Member
Tractor
Power Trac PT-422
I have a PT-422 with I believe is the regular dirt bucket. How many of these full buckets is equivalent to one yard?

Thanks
Frank

/ How many buckets equal one yard #2  
The small bucket is listed as 5 cu. ft. and the larger light material bucket is listed as 10 cu. ft. There are 27 cu. ft. in a cubic yard so it would take 5.4 small buckets to make a cubic yard

/ How many buckets equal one yard #3  
A 5 gal bucket (pail) is .668 cuft and there are 40.4 of those buckets in a yard.

/ How many buckets equal one yard #4  
That’s a tough question to answer since it’s not as simple as the dry volume.

/ How many buckets equal one yard #5  
As mentioned the small rock bucket from PT is 5 cubic feet and the large, light material bucket is 10 cubic feet.

There're 27 cubic feet in a cubic yard.

So a tad less than 3 light material buckets = 1 cubic yard. And a tad less than 6 of the small rock buckets.

/ How many buckets equal one yard #6  
Has anyone actually done the math??
There are "level buckets" and "heaped buckets"

A heaped bucket is more common type of measure,, :thumbsup:
few people will jump off the machine,, and strike off the extra material with a 2X4 to get a level bucket,,, :confused2:

/ How many buckets equal one yard #7  

few people will jump off the machine,, and strike off the extra material with a 2X4 to get a level bucket,,, :confused2:
I think they are moving dirt, but yes, if i were selling gold by the bucket, i'd be right there that 2x4. :laughing:

/ How many buckets equal one yard #8  
I think there are discrepancies between manufacturers of buckets... what I call SOB. Standard. of Buckets. :)

The stated capacity may be level OR heaped. Unless you have a square bottom bucket it is pretty difficult to measure volume to figure out. If it’s really important to you most likely the “easiest”
way would be to fill one manually with a known one cubic foot container.

On our turf farm we operate a soil mart in conjunction with turf grass sales and as such a good portion of soil sales involve half and one cubic yard orders loaded onto pickups and trailers.

IMG_0428.jpg

IMG_0427.jpg

We have one yard and specially build NARROWER half yard buckets (for import size and short box pickup trucks). We ALWAYS HEAP the bucket when loading customers.

/ How many buckets equal one yard #9  

Just as an example, my Bobcat 68" GP bucket has a ISO capacity of 11.6cuft heaped and 8.5cuft struck.

/ How many buckets equal one yard #10  
What are you doing ?

How important is the information; does it matter if the amounts are off a little or do you need it to the last shovel full ?

Just asking, because this info trail is getting deep !