How many buckets equal one yard

/ How many buckets equal one yard #11  
What are you doing ?

How important is the information; does it matter if the amounts are off a little or do you need it to the last shovel full ?

Just asking, because this info trail is getting deep !

Plus is the OP digging into undisturbed earth to remove a TIGHT cubic yard? The end product coming OUT of the bucket would be MORE than a cubic yard.

/ How many buckets equal one yard
I have been buying mulch. I have an 18' hydraulic tilt bed with makeshift sides. My first load was half of a big Cat articulated FEL bucket. The loader said I had 6 yards on it. Yesterday, different guy on the FEL, same CAT articulated tractor put a full bucket full of mulch on my trailer and said it was 5 yards. First load of mulch I had 39 of PT422 buckets full. The second load is on the trailer, won't know how many buckets until later in the week when I have time to unload it.

/ How many buckets equal one yard #13  
I would venture to say the FIRST loader operator had no idea how big his bucket was. Would have been a huge azz wheel loader to handle a 12 yard bucket.

If you haven’t unloaded the second load yet, rake it level in your trailer and then MEASURE it. Length x width x height (in feet) divided by 27 will give you the cubic yards.

/ How many buckets equal one yard #14  
A 18' x 7' trailer has 126 sqft area and if the mulch is 1' deep, it would be 4.67 yards.

/ How many buckets equal one yard #15  
I think they are moving dirt, but yes, if i were selling gold by the bucket, i'd be right there that 2x4. :laughing:
I don't think any CUT could lift a bucket full of gold. But I sure wouldn't mind trying. :D

/ How many buckets equal one yard #16  
I don’t think any piece of equipment designed for moving dirt or rocks could lift its bucket full of gold. Gold weighs 1200 pounds per cubic foot and solid rock weighs 150 pounds per cubic foot. Loose rock or dirt weighs less.

/ How many buckets equal one yard #17  
I don't think any CUT could lift a bucket full of gold. But I sure wouldn't mind trying. :D

I agree. But no point in being greedy. I’d be quite happy with whatever it could lift!

/ How many buckets equal one yard #18  
A 5 gal bucket (pail) is .668 cuft and there are 40.4 of those buckets in a yard.

The OP is talking about the size of his PT-422 machine bucket, rather than a 5 gal. pail.

/ How many buckets equal one yard #19  
We're talking about the volume of the empty bucket, not whether the material in the bucket is fluffy, dense, etc...

/ How many buckets equal one yard #20  
The OP is talking about the size of his PT-422 machine bucket, rather than a 5 gal. pail.

Then he would need to see how many 5 gallon buckets it takes to fill his bucket. This is most likely the most foolproof way of determining bucket volume. Rather time consuming though.

It would be best to use a light weight medium to make the job easier.